Thread: baby squirrel aspiration

Default baby squirrel aspiration

hello all. new to this forum and i have already learned so much!

unfortunately today when i tried my new nipple on the 1cc syringe i use for my 4-5 week old grey squirrel he aspirated pretty badly. he had some good sneezes and seemed to get the majority out...but i am pretty sure i am hearing a faint clicking. keep in mind this has just happened earlier today..is there anything i can do to help my little guy clear his lungs before this becomes a big problem? i tried tilting him downwards and very gently rubbing/patting his back and gently massaging him but haven't gotten any good results. any advice is much appreciated.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Default Re: baby squirrel aspiration

Quote Originally Posted by loloraits View Post

unfortunately today when i tried my new nipple on the 1cc syringe i use for my 4-5 week old grey squirrel he aspirated pretty badly. he had some good sneezes and seemed to get the majority out...but i am pretty sure i am hearing a faint clicking. keep in mind this has just happened earlier today..is there anything i can do to help my little guy clear his lungs before this becomes a big problem? i tried tilting him downwards and very gently rubbing/patting his back and gently massaging him but haven't gotten any good results. any advice is much appreciated.
    Hi loloraits, please stay on the Board, you have posted in the exact area to receive emergency advisement although it could take a short time, could you possibly post a photo of the Lil' One and info on the type of formula you have been feeding, Thank You.

Another method that many of us use is a baby bulb syringe for infants noses. You could also use a syringe And I dare say that probably most of us have gently sucked their nostrils when this happens.

Just to be on the safe side, lets make sure you have the correct antibiotic on hand for aspiration pneumonia.
    You will need Cirpro (human typically used for UTI's) or Baytril (animal). Let us know what you can find from friends, family or relatives, and if you have a weight on your little one and the mg of the antibiotic, we can dose IF THIS IS DEEMED NECESSARY.

Name:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 176
Size:  153.3 KB

he is 125g. about 4-5 weeks. i have been giving him puppy formula and today just started integrating the squirrel formula from fox valley.

Name:  photo (6).JPG
Views: 176
Size:  153.3 KB

he is 125g. about 4-5 weeks. i have been giving him puppy formula and today just started integrating the squirrel formula from fox valley.
    Precious, just precious!
    Are his eyes opened yet?
    Which FV did you get?

i tried sucking some air out of his nose. at first it seemed to help a tiny bit but now its back to a pretty constant faint click. i just want to help my little buddy before it develops into an infection. this has been my biggest fear all along.

i got the 20/40...oddly enough just one eye is opened as of today. hes like an adorable pirate.

i know its late, but any advice on clearing this little guys lungs would be so much appreciated.

i got the 20/40...oddly enough just one eye is opened as of today. hes like an adorable pirate.

Wait, I think you either mean the 32/40 or the 20/50, right?
    Try to get the antibiotics ASAP that I mentioned above, just in case this gets worse.
    We don't need to dose tonight, but it's good to have on hand JUST IN CASE he gets worse.
    Do you have a weight on him? Also this is for feeding, so you know the correct amount, and
    for dosing meds, we need the weight.

he is 125g. are there any online companies that overnight meds? is there anything i can do to help him in the meantime? he doesnt seem to be having a really hard time breathing. just a fairly quiet click. is there any possibility this will work itself out even if he doesnt sneeze it out? im sorry for so many questions but he has been doing so well in the week i have had him and im just freaking out a little bit.

he is 125g. are there any online companies that overnight meds? is there anything i can do to help him in the meantime? he doesnt seem to be having a really hard time breathing. just a fairly quiet click. is there any possibility this will work itself out even if he doesnt sneeze it out? im sorry for so many questions but he has been doing so well in the week i have had him and im just freaking out a little bit.

Send me your name and address in a pm
    I will overnight you some. Are you pretty rural?
    They will go out tomorrow morning. I hope that
    you get them Wednesday.
    I just overnighted a box to Georgia and they said
    they couldn't guarantee delivery the following day.
    Sure enough, it took two days!

Edit: Here is where you can order if you want, and they do offer overnight shipping.
    This is what you want. Ciprofloxacin 250 mg. or 500 mg. I would get the 250 mg. it's cheaper and
    you have to add water to ONE pill and dose it according to weight.
    This will be one heck of an expensive pill.
    http://www.calvetsupply.com/product/...al-Antibiotics