Thread: Squirrel Aspiration

randolphh10 Guest

Default Squirrel Aspiration

A couple weeks ago I rescued a baby squirrel. He is currently 7 to 8 weeks old. A couple of days ago he aspirated some mil so I took him to the shower and the next morning he seemed better. But for the past days he has a very faint clicking sound every once and awhile. He is still very active and loves to eat. Could it be pneumonia? What should I give him? The vet won't help so what antibiotics can i get over counter

Default Re: Squirrel Aspiration

First, thank you for rescuing him! There are no antibiotics available over the counter. IF he has pneumonia, you would hear a click with each breath and I would think that his activity level would diminish at least a little. Keep an eye on him and in the mean time ask your friends and family members (after you check your own medicine cabinet) if they have any Cipro (human) or Baytril (animal). Almost everyone stops taking an antibiotic with a few pills left over even though you really shouldn't. We often have them kicking around for a long time after we are better. All you will need is one tablet and someone can help you to break it down into a safe dose. DO NOT give any of it until you speak to someone here who can give you proper guidance. Many people have thought they could "just give a little" of the med and severely overdosed the baby.
    Personally, it sounds like your baby is okay, but better to prepare for the worst and pray for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by randolphh10 View Post
    A couple weeks ago I rescued a baby squirrel. He is currently 7 to 8 weeks old. A couple of days ago he aspirated some mil so I took him to the shower and the next morning he seemed better. But for the past days he has a very faint clicking sound every once and awhile. He is still very active and loves to eat. Could it be pneumonia? What should I give him? The vet won't help so what antibiotics can i get over counter
    None!
    Call around to your family, friends, everyone you know and ask for an anti-biotic. You would only need 1-2 capsules or pills. Cipro is one prescribed to many woman for yeast infections and would be ideal. Whatever AB you can score let us know and we can advise if it can be used and provide dosing if it can.
    If it is pneumonia, you need to act fast and treat asap as pneumonia will take them down fast!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Ditto, Ask around Just in case. But remember the meds are strong and wildlife is "different" from people. They really depend on their gut flora. The Veterinarian community really is beyond human docs when it comes to recognizing the importance of gut flora. Antibiotics - when given with out need will kill this flora. And if you DO end up needing to save him with meds you will want to replace that flora via a probiotic.

You want to keep an eye on him. Its better to not give the meds unless your sure or you see him rapidly decline. So get the meds and be prepared cause as has been said.. if it is.. the decline can be rapid.

One snorkel of milk may or may not cause pneumonia. Are you feeding him with a syringe? If so what size?

Activity and Desire to eat are good indicators that it "might" not be pneumonia.

Sometimes baby squirrels make noises with their teeth and mouth that sound like clicking. But as the others have said that clicking would not go away. You CAN have pneumonia with out the click , but there are behavior changes and activity changes.

Do you have any rehabbers near you? What is he eating?

Thank you for rescuing this baby !
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

randolphh10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Ditto, Ask around Just in case. But remember the meds are strong and wildlife is "different" from people. They really depend on their gut flora. The Veterinarian community really is beyond human docs when it comes to recognizing the importance of gut flora. Antibiotics - when given with out need will kill this flora. And if you DO end up needing to save him with meds you will want to replace that flora via a probiotic.

You want to keep an eye on him. Its better to not give the meds unless your sure or you see him rapidly decline. So get the meds and be prepared cause as has been said.. if it is.. the decline can be rapid.

One snorkel of milk may or may not cause pneumonia. Are you feeding him with a syringe? If so what size?

Activity and Desire to eat are good indicators that it "might" not be pneumonia.

Sometimes baby squirrels make noises with their teeth and mouth that sound like clicking. But as the others have said that clicking would not go away. You CAN have pneumonia with out the click , but there are behavior changes and activity changes.

Do you have any rehabbers near you? What is he eating?

Thank you for rescuing this baby !
    He is fed with a 1 cc syringe

I am literally just down the road from you, and willing to help with anything you may need...

to TSB and thank you for rescuing this sweet baby!

I'm gonna PM you my phone # you can text anytime

Quote Originally Posted by RobinTN View Post
    I am literally just down the road from you, and willing to help with anything you may need...

to TSB and thank you for rescuing this sweet baby!

I'm gonna PM you my phone # you can text anytime
    Don't get any better then that! Thank you Robin!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by randolphh10 View Post
    He is fed with a 1 cc syringe
    Excellent!

And fantastic that Robin is just down the road.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Members who have read this thread: 1