Thread: Just sharing an experience

Hybrid View

Default Just sharing an experience

I had released three squirrels into the wild in April 2012. They are doing well, the one boy, BD, I rarely see. Sometimes he makes an appearance, but wants no part of me. Sad, but a good thing. Hope and Twiggy still come around every so often. Hope has had several litters as I can tell by her nipples when she comes by to see me (and eat Twiggy, not sure, but she may be sterile, because I have not seen any sign of her having babies. She is doing very well and maybe being sterile is not so bad for her.

Well, the other week, we see hope come running across the deck railing with something in her mouth. Then we saw her go into our BQ grill. I went out and opened the grill. Low and behold it was a little baby, guessing about 4 weeks old? The baby looked healthy. It was kinda cold out and the baby was not really active, just rolled up in a ball. I then go in and get a sheet and heating pad. Then Hope comes back with another baby! She puts the other baby into the grill and I put the two babies together to try to keep each other warm. They look great other than not really active like they should be. After a little while Hope comes back again and when I looked in, I actually heard one of the babies talk finally, I think s/he was yelling at me Then Hope goes on top of the sheet and lays down on them, I'm assuming to feed them.

Then a little while later, we see her take off with something in her mouth. So I go out and both babies are gone. The only thing I could think is that somehow her nest got messed up and then she fixed it back up. Not sure, but the days that followed were warm and very good for babies that needed to recover from some cold. Hope has been coming around each night, after all the other little ones are gone. There are few little ones that were born this summer and they are quite annoying for the adults -- it's kind of funny. I only hope her new babies are doing OK. It looks like her nipples are still actively feeding, so I'm hoping.

Here are some photos I took while I had the chance They do look healthy and fat, so I think they should be good. I never thought this would be when I was rehabbing these little guys back in August of 2011. Sometimes life can be good.

Name:  IMG_2689.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.08 MB

Name:  IMG_2690.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  IMG_2692.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  1.15 MB

Name:  IMG_2694.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  1.04 MB

Default Re: Just sharing an experience

That is really cool! Maybe she was taking them to a backup nest and needed a resting place?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

She needed a perfect babysitter for a moment and she knew you were the one for the job

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelLynn View Post
    She needed a perfect babysitter for a moment and she knew you were the one for the job
    Exactly!!

Post Re: Just sharing an experience

What a beautiful story. Lucky you, to be able to witness this. It really must be a job, to have to pack babies around in your mouth!