Thread: 'weeing' the bed

Default 'weeing' the bed

do squirrels pee the bed often? Mine does this daily it seems, Im always washing fabric for fresh bedding but I notice through out the night some times my efforts are not good enough, and there is some patchy hair loss on the legs and irritation around the hind end I believe from sleeping in wet urine.

is there a better way to make a more absorbent bed? I have a wood box with small fleece blankets I change out constantly and wash.

I also give her (Gordon turns out to be a Gordenia ) a bath, no soap just rinsing the tail and back legs under water. That seems to help.

Default Re: 'weeing' the bed

or is it something to do with the lameness? and maybe she doesnt know when / where she needs to go?

I'm confused, is your baby lame? Yes, hind end paralysis does cause incontinence. It's a constant problem for those that care for them.

BUT, some babies do wet the bed. I had one that was soaked every time I went to feed him. Most babies don't wet the bed. Don't worry mama she will grow out of it. Until then, you need to be extra vigilant to keep her clean. Urine left on the skin will cause irritation just like diaper rash.

I know that some have used ointment to protect the skin but I'll let someone else address that as I haven't used them so I would rather not make recommendations.

My squirrel was bit by the cat, and showed lameness, after sometime she got better, and gained some function but can't walk. Can stretch, move toes, and twitch the tail but she usually sort of drags them. When she walks she moves the ankle like a walking motion but can't actually stand right. I'm thinning some lameness is causing this lack of bowel control

Does she pee when stimulated or do you have to express her bladder?

Some folks here who have had similar issues have used flannel instead of fleece. It is still warm and fuzzy and doesn't snag toenails, but is also more absorbent.
    My etsy store is empty at the moment, but if you have seen my pieces and have a request, just let me know!

Visit my Etsy store, ScarletSquirrel to see my handmade jewelry!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletSquirrel

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,

Everywhere I turn I can see them...

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,
    Night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them...

Someday I'll land in the Nut House,
    With all the Nuts and the Squirrels...

Wait...too late.
    Welcome to the Nut House!