Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Here - How do we put a young squirrel back in nest???

drakkonia Guest

Default Re: New Here - How do we put a young squirrel back in nest???

So how long has your squirrel family been rooming with you? You live in an apartment, right? I think one of our other members, acorniv, was dealing with the consequences of an apartment complex that was being desquirreled a little while back. I hope your landlord doesn't try to remove or exterminate them. They seem so cute!

WineSquirrel Guest

Thanks for the warm welcome

I'll try to answer a few questions that have come up:

The squirrels are currently living between the first and second floors of an apartment building. I'm not really worried about them getting too hot or dehydrated. If it gets too warm, I'll turn on our air conditioning, and I think mom would move the kids to the basement if it got too warm.

Since this is mom's home territory, I think she knows all of the local water sources. I just happen to offer one of the cleanest and most convenient with a water dish. The kids are still nursing (obvious from mom's poor nipples), so they should be getting enough liquids. They show a little interest in a water dish, but I think that they're more curious than thirsty.

Regarding electrical lines, our bathroom was renovated several years ago, so those lines are all in conduit. The adjoining room has no ceiling lights, so it shouldn't be a problem. Beyond that, there are probably wires with just insulation elsewhere in the building, but that is the case throughout this neighborhood filled with old buildings. Regarding structural beams, I doubt one family of squirrels can do more damage than the multitude of mice and a few other squirrels that have taken up residence in the building over the years.

The mom has been living in the building since early spring. I first saw her while she was starting to build her nest. She was a little startled at first when she saw us inside, but within a day she looked down calmly at us and realized she knew us (Shimsham and I had fed her on the back porch many times before that). We still reserve her favorite food (filberts in the shell) for outside so she doesn't just hang out inside. She also still forages just like all of our other squirrelly neighbors. I expect that she'll move out once the kids are ready to be on their own.

Regarding the building management company, I'm not too worried. This is a university neighborhood and the landlord wants to do as little as possible other than cash the rent checks. We've heard a squirrel nesting in the wall several years ago, and they were fine. This is just the first year we've had direct access to them.

Zelda's Mom Guest

Hello Shimsham & Winesquirrel,

Thanks for helping our little friends. Unfortunately, I do not get on the board as often as I would like.

I have a gray which is about a year old now, she has neurological damage which prevents her from being released. The one time I did try, she found the opportunity to run back into the house. Guess she decided she did not like the big world outside. (which was perfectly fine with me ) Wanted to mention to watch for the little ones balance and how it grips things. It has taken Zelda awhile to get her balance back. she moves like a little monkey now but she does still have a tendency to flop over backward if she raises up to high on her rear legs.

Just wanted to say hello and good luck with the family which has adopted you. I would consider it an honor to be the chosen one!

and what an amazing story It's wonderful to think of squirrels peeping in on a humans habitat......it's usally the other way around .

To keep the kidz from falling again maybe you can tack up a piece of hardware cloth. The bathroom can be a very dangerious place. Remember to keep the toilet seat down at all times because once a squirrel gets in it can't get out and will drown.
    Sad but true...we had a member who lost a squirrel that way....and we had another close call with Sparkysmom !!! Sparky wasn't a happy camper!!!!
    Also, I don't think you want wild squirrels living in your house either....so the hardware cloth will allow the kids to view the humans and the humans to view the wildlife.....and everyone will be safe....and live happily ever after!!!!
    The photos are priceless!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

ShimShamSquirrel Guest

Thanks, SecretSquirrel! Yes, I read that tragic story, so I knew we needed to keep the toilet seat down.

You can learn so much from this board, yay!

WineSquirrel Guest

Just a quick update...

I can confirm that the kid is doing fine a day after its eventful fall. I saw two kids simultaneously staring at each other across the hole in our bathroom ceiling today. Meanwhile, I heard the third scratching further back, presumably attempting to "bury" something in drywall. Since that accounts for all three kids, the one that fell must be doing fine.

drakkonia Guest

What I'm wondering now is, how do you have any privacy in the bathroom with a family of squirrels always peeking in on you? I don't know if I could do my business if, when I looked up at the ceiling, someone else looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkonia
    What I'm wondering now is, how do you have any privacy in the bathroom with a family of squirrels always peeking in on you? I don't know if I could do my business if, when I looked up at the ceiling, someone else looked back.
    Heh heh....kind of reminds me how, back in the '70's, my cousin had a giant poster -- a head shot -- of Jimmy Page on the inside of the bathroom door staring right at you......
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi ShimShamSquirrel & WineSquirrel Thanks so much for sharing your squirrely adventure, I laughed through the whole thread. Can't wait to hear what's going on with your ceiling critters next.

ShimShamSquirrel Guest

You're welcome! Glad we could entertain you, hee.

Well, yeah, I tried explaining to the mr. that momma squirrel was staring at me in the shower one day, peeking down from her hole? But he didn't believe it till it happened to him. ahahahaah!!!

***Edit: once the critters found out what the shower was, they lost interest. If it doesn't involve feeding them, they're not all that interested!

drakkonia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Heh heh....kind of reminds me how, back in the '70's, my cousin had a giant poster -- a head shot -- of Jimmy Page on the inside of the bathroom door staring right at you......
    Jimmy Page in the bathroom..? I can think of so many inappropriate things to say, but I won't.

once the critters found out what the shower was, they lost interest. If it doesn't involve feeding them, they're not all that interested!
    yep...they are something!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.