Thread: getting a noisy squirrel to stop noisy rummaging (so landlord doesn't hear her)

Default getting a noisy squirrel to stop noisy rummaging (so landlord doesn't hear her)

Do you have any ideas about how I could get a noisy hyper-active squirrel to stop making noise by ripping up boxes, crumpling papers, etc.?

My landlord lives directly below me. A squirrel comes up to visit me on my balcony, but can be hear prancing around on the balcony - so I open my balcony door to let her in my carpeted apartment which I pad with fleece blankets to keep her paws from getting stuck - the carpet and blankets keep prancing silent. When my landlord is directly below me or on the balcony, I prefer for her to be inside and quiet for her safety. So far, I have distracted her with sweet potatoes and other reasonably nutritious treats. If she starts making noises, in a very soft voice I say her name so that she pauses. If landlord asks, of course, I will say I was making the noise, but certain sounds might be more difficult to cover for. Let me know if you have ideas. (Back story includes the fact that I had no idea landlord would actually move in below me... Previous tenant was fine with me having a wild pet.)

PS - Title should have said, "getting a squirrel to stop noisy rummaging." The squirrel is quiet other than the rummaging. I am in the process of getting this squirrel to move into the trees but this process is gradual and will take time - esp. since my town is still in it's winter condition.

Default Re: getting a noisy squirrel to stop noisy rummaging (so landlord doesn't hear her)

Can you turn on some music or the television? I can't imagine living above someone who cared THAT much about what kinds of noises I was making. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this!

And... am I getting this right... you let a wild squirrel into your house? You are brave! LOL

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bitsy from:

Rocky1 (03-20-2016)

Default Re: getting a noisy squirrel to stop noisy rummaging (so landlord doesn't hear her)

she is looking for material for a nest.
    tearing the material is what makes the noise.
    have some small 6 inch pieces of material inside, and give her.. she will tell you what excites her most.
    BUT she might not immediately catch on as she is not in nest repair mode while she is inside...
    it will take a moment for that to click... you will see.
    And when it does she will grab and wrap it up .
    Then you can give her as much as she wants, she will stop when it is enough... or when she is tired for now.
    You can leave a bunch of that stuff where she can find it outside.
    But not have to tear it.
    A 2x6 inch piece should be about right.
    They can carry much larger but that gets conspicuous.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigNibbler from:

Rocky1 (03-20-2016)