Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SHORTCUT METHOD OF FLUID CALCULATION

Kristi S Guest

Default Re: SHORTCUT METHOD OF FLUID CALCULATION

Ah, so the stages of rehydration and maintenance are separated? That makes much more sense to me! Also makes sense to allow for pathological losses. Maintenance will eventually be done with formula, so are days 2 and 3 meant for its introduction?

I just sent an email to Dr. Miller with some questions about her protocol. She's quite busy now, but hopefully within a week or two we'll have more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi S View Post
    Ah, so the stages of rehydration and maintenance are separated? That makes much more sense to me! Also makes sense to allow for pathological losses. Maintenance will eventually be done with formula, so are days 2 and 3 meant for its introduction?

I just sent an email to Dr. Miller with some questions about her protocol. She's quite busy now, but hopefully within a week or two we'll have more information.
    Sort of. The transition to formula would begin on day one.

The way they explained it to me is that DM and re-hydration is separate. Fluid Def can be split up over Day one or given ( if possibly) SQ or both.. a little here.. a little there but all on Day one. Assumingly between feedings.. BOTH would be given on day one. If the gut works use it.. but.. sometimes you have to sub Q.

Day one would be 100% of the DM ( formula transition in the case of an orphan) or in the case of an adult plain water? Good question + 100% of the fluid Deficit ( estimated percentage of dehydration) + any estimated path loss That would be ALOT of fluid . But they stressed the need to get the animal completely hydrated.

Day two and 3 would be just DM and PL if any.
    If I understand your question correctly. If and when you get an email back.. Please share with us.

The class was not just about orphans though . I do wish I had asked your question. ( or what I think your question is ) Formula could be DMF, but if your also re hydrating an infant.. you can not feed them the transition formula till they have gotten the re hydration they need. Which may be why they want all the fluid deficit to be done on day one.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Kerri Sue Guest

I don't have access to a scale until tomorrow probably. I have a baby that looks to be about 7ish weeks and the other one is a little smaller. I am gonna feed them pedialite one more time. They ate it a little better this Go round. Then we will start milk

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Sue View Post
    I don't have access to a scale until tomorrow probably. I have a baby that looks to be about 7ish weeks and the other one is a little smaller. I am gonna feed them pedialite one more time. They ate it a little better this Go round. Then we will start milk

You mean you will start formula correct?
    The best formula is powdered puppy esbilac.

Kerri Sue Guest

Yes that is what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerri Sue View Post
    Yes that is what I have.

Perfect!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12