Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can I use with Prednisone?

Default What can I use with Prednisone?

I am sorry I have been awol this week, but I have had my hands full since Sunday. We had a devastating wind storm on Sunday and we have been inundated with babies since. Many have been in bad shape and I had 3 sisters who came in, after being blown 75' out of their nest, onto the asphalt. I lost 2 Sunday night, as their head injuries were just too much. This remaining little girl though, is a fighter and is holding her own. Unfortunately, Dr. Kelly has been hired by the Portland Zoo, so I am dealing with a new vet. She is just out of school and seems to know everything, so she refused giving this one Prednisone for her fractured skull (she stated that Prednisone will suppress the healing process of the body. She doesn't have any other injuries, so I don't know what healing process she is worried about, since the swelling is the most urgent!). As a result, I have someone sending some to me and I will get it today. The question I have though, is what medications can I give as well (you would think after all this time on TSB, I would know this!)? I know she can't have Metacam with Prednisone and I believe IB is also a no no, being an NSAID. I will post pictures, but she definitely has a depression in her skull, so I know there has to be brain swelling (an Xray by the vet confirmed the fracture).
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Default Re: What can I use with Prednisone?

Oh those poor babies...
    Godspeed little ones...

Tramadol is the only thing that can be used with Prednisone as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Oh those poor babies...
    Godspeed little ones...

Tramadol is the only thing that can be used with Prednisone as far as I know.
    I agree, that's the only thing I know of as well SammysMom.

Perfect! Tramadol it is!! Thanks so much! Pred just got here, so am going to mix and give her first dose. I will get some Tramadol tonight, from Jackie.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

No Prednisone within 24 hours of NSAIDS.

She hasn't had anything since yesterday morning. I knew the Pred was coming and didn't want to risk anything.

No luck on the Tramadol. Jackie suggested Buprinex, but I am not sure. It doesn't show as an NSAID, but it isn't Tramadol. Any ideas? I won't give it until tomorrow anyway, so I have time.

I am on my stupid nook so not easy to navigate. Did you google the combo? Is is the blood thinning properties that make the danger.

Strictly speaking about medication info, buprenex can be used with prednisone as it's an opioid narcotic not an NSAID

I only know drug specifics because I'm a CPhT, not the uses specific to squirrel

Thank you both! I will use the Bupenex first thing in the morning! She just had her first dose of Pred, so my fingers are crossed it works. She is an angel who needs to stay on this earth for a while.....

Post Re: What can I use with Prednisone?

Lots and lots of prayers coming for your little one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Thank you both! I will use the Bupenex first thing in the morning! She just had her first dose of Pred, so my fingers are crossed it works. She is an angel who needs to stay on this earth for a while.....

I KNOW Jackie knows what she is doing,
    I just worry about giving such a potent narcotic to a little 70 gram squirrel.
    Could you get just ONE Tramadol?

According to my vet, because of the help with swelling, the pred itself also acts as a pain reliever. I have always questioned this, but maybe sort of play it by ear and see how she is acting this morning. I have you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers. She is a lucky girl to be in such loving care...

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    According to my vet, because of the help with swelling, the pred itself also acts as a pain reliever. I have always questioned this, but maybe sort of play it by ear and see how she is acting this morning. I have you and your baby in my thoughts and prayers. She is a lucky girl to be in such loving care...
    It's interesting the difference in what's considered proper pain relief in human medicine and veterinary medicine. .. I saw this working as both a pharmacy technician and as a vet assistant

In the human pharmaceutical field, prednisone isn't considered a pain relief giving medication UNLESS the ONLY reason for the pain is the inflammation it's treating... it doesn't act on pain sensors

Yet in animal medicine it seems pain is sometimes under addressed.

Sammysmom is correct that any opioid pain relief has a narrow window of dosing to avoid central nervous system suppression BUT dosed correctly it's an excellent pain medication with no drug to drug interactions with prednisone

Oops I meant Nancy is right about it being potent. ... sorry!

First, thank you for the recommendations. I have decided to hold off on the Buprenex, mostly due to Fern herself. She is moving her front paws, for the first time since I got her. She is reactive and so much more active, in only 12 hours after the Prednisone. I don't see the same signs of pain that I was seeing previously, especially the open mouth and excessive drooling. Until last night, I had not seen her close her mouth but now she is sleeping peacefully. There is no doubt she has brain damage, but I am hoping that the Pred will help and she can carry on at least a half way normal life.

Annabelle's papa Guest

That's great Duckman, I know you feel better now that the LIL' One is resting better.

First, thank you for the recommendations. I have decided to hold off on the Buprenex, mostly due to Fern herself. She is moving her front paws, for the first time since I got her. She is reactive and so much more active, in only 12 hours after the Prednisone. I don't see the same signs of pain that I was seeing previously, especially the open mouth and excessive drooling. Until last night, I had not seen her close her mouth but now she is sleeping peacefully. There is no doubt she has brain damage, but I am hoping that the Pred will help and she can carry on at least a half way normal life.

This is a fantastic update! Thank you for posting and keeping us up to date with your little Fern.

Thank goodness, DM! I am so happy to hear that she is responding already. To be honest, this is exactly why I have been so keen on using it. Both of the boys I gave prednisone to because of head trauma reacted to the drug almost immediately. Both had been having seizures and the pred stopped them completely.
    I am just so glad that baby got a chance to be in your hands...

Kristi S Guest

I am sorry I have been awol this week, but I have had my hands full since Sunday. We had a devastating wind storm on Sunday and we have been inundated with babies since. Many have been in bad shape and I had 3 sisters who came in, after being blown 75' out of their nest, onto the asphalt. I lost 2 Sunday night, as their head injuries were just too much. This remaining little girl though, is a fighter and is holding her own. Unfortunately, Dr. Kelly has been hired by the Portland Zoo, so I am dealing with a new vet. She is just out of school and seems to know everything, so she refused giving this one Prednisone for her fractured skull (she stated that Prednisone will suppress the healing process of the body. She doesn't have any other injuries, so I don't know what healing process she is worried about, since the swelling is the most urgent!). As a result, I have someone sending some to me and I will get it today. The question I have though, is what medications can I give as well (you would think after all this time on TSB, I would know this!)? I know she can't have Metacam with Prednisone and I believe IB is also a no no, being an NSAID. I will post pictures, but she definitely has a depression in her skull, so I know there has to be brain swelling (an Xray by the vet confirmed the fracture).
    I'm glad to hear she's doing well. Sheesh, 75' onto asphalt! Amazing she's still holding her own, and that she doesn't have other injuries!

I'm curious - is the injury to the back of the skull? I was wondering why she was drooling. Did she have jaw trauma? What other symptoms does she have?

Brain injury doesn't always mean there's swelling. Why do you think that her head injury is not one of the things that needs healing? Did the vet have some other treatment in mind besides pred?

I was thinking just yesterday that squirrel nests seem awfully vulnerable to all kinds of threats. I read last week that every year half the population of grays dies. Pretty amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast