Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Willow's thread

Default Re: Any suggestions on guessing age in a "downs" squirrel?

Pick up one of the little 4 packs of Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt - banana and vanilla are pretty popular. Full fat and it has the probiotics which sure won't hurt.

Name:  20150323_223205.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.08 MB
    Ensure is a success! I've never seen her eat so enthusiastically! YAYAYAY!

...now to get her to poop (and pee a bit more). Her belly is getting a bit round.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lgyure85 from:

KarmaKay (02-21-2017)

Sweet and nutritious! Yeah that she likes it!

Precious.

Oh goody. She's eating. Try avocado. Kensi liked that for awhile. He liked smooth textures. He was also prone to constipation (possibly because one of his favorites was cheese) He didn't like to drink tho I know he COULD drink from a water bottle if he wanted to. Likely these guys activity output is so low they just don't need much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Oh goody. She's eating. Try avocado. Kensi liked that for awhile. He liked smooth textures. He was also prone to constipation (possibly because one of his favorites was cheese) He didn't like to drink tho I know he COULD drink from a water bottle if he wanted to. Likely these guys activity output is so low they just don't need much.
    Any suggestions on helping with the constipation? I've done mini-squirrel enemas before, but she doesn't even seem to be pushing!

I read through a good part of the Kensington thread, and they could have been twins they're so similar! I am SO glad you documented so much of his sweet (erm, mostly life!

Avocado has good fat and might help in the constipation department. The sugar in the ensure might also give a bit of a boost. Apple juice has been known to give a push to things also.

Red face Re: Any suggestions on guessing age in a "downs" squirrel?

After that amazing Ensure she passed out like this - Name:  20150323_233245.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  1.16 MB

Then like this -
    Name:  20150323_233437.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.11 MB

That is a heated blanket she is snuggled on, too

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lgyure85 from:

KarmaKay (02-21-2017)

Oh that baby is absolutely perfect! I am so glad you are here with us and all of the shared knowledge that people have for these "special" babies...

Post Re: Any suggestions on guessing age in a "downs" squirrel?

Coconut oil will help with the constipation. The 3 main things one needs to have bowel movements are: Fiber, water and exercise.

Your absolutely the most precious little one I have ever seen will be lacking in all of these areas.

The coconut oil will be a great help. ( I have a special needs girl, not Downs, but some severe disabilities. She cannot stand up, nor walk nor belly crawl. But, she is one hell-of-a-side-scooter! She also cannot hold food, and is badly maloccluded)

What I do is when I warm her formula, I take the opposite end of the spoon and put it in the coconut oil,(which is a solid), and get just a very tiny bit, and place it in the formula, just until I see a few bead of the oil melted on top. It tastes very good, too. You do not want to give too much, or you will have diarrhea. You will have to do trial and error, to see how much, along with the other things I will be suggesting. It has MULTIPLE health benefits, too, which you can look up.
    But, you are now adding some lubrication to the GI tract. Personally, I add the oil twice daily. ( it would take a very large amount to cause diarrhea)

Secondly, your little one needs fiber. I use the V8 Fusion juice, because it has fiber, plus all the fruit and veggie goodies in it. I buy the apple, with no sugar added, in the little boxes, so I am not wasting any. It tastes very bland to me.
    I syringe feed this to her. I also feed her level 2 baby food fruits and veggies for fiber. I also add baby oat cereal to one formula feeding , her midnight feeding, for extra fiber. She loves it. We call it fa-fa, and I have no idea why, ha ha.

You could also add a dab of one of the OTC psycillium products. I can't think of the name, but people that need fiber buy it. It is flavorless, and people add like a teaspoon to a glass of water, and it dissolves, and you can't see or taste it. Anyway, that is another possibility for you.

Your 3rd problem will probably be the hardest, exercise, because Downs mostly want to sleep. For Loofy, I have a large sterilyte container with a bathroom rug on the bottom, and a bunch of Lamaze early developmental toys hanging all over it. Like an octopus with a small toy hanging on each arm, a bunch of stuff like that, and she side-scoots all over her play bin hiding under and swatting at all the fun hanging goodies.

But Chickenlegs would be better to give advice on the exercise part.

You cannot go wrong with the coconut oil, so many health benefits, plus will definitely help keep his bowels moving.

Good luck, he sure is a cutie!

So yesterday Willow decided she just wanted to nibble walnuts, raisins, and monkey chow,with sips of watered down pedialyte. This morning she took Ensure again like a champ. She did poop a bit yesterday, though it was runny, but better than nothing! She "cleans" her face off on her towel after I feed her, and it is hilarious.

She also got a temporary brother yesterday! He was found the night before, and was screaming and crawling around on a kind man's driveway. He is a skinny little monkey squirrel, and they both seem very happy to have each other's company. When he fattens up a bit he will go to another rehabber for pre-release and eventual release, but he has a ways to go. For now they both have a buddy, and Willow seems more willing to eat and try new things when he is eating them, so that's awesome.

Thank you all so much, and I'll keep posting Willow (and Wilfred's) adorable
    Name:  20150324_225938.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  1.03 MB
    Skinny boy!
    Name:  20150324_174713.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.28 MB
    Snuggles!
    Name:  20150323_205028.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  1.07 MB
    Passed. Out.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lgyure85:

KarmaKay (02-21-2017), missPixy (10-26-2016)

O.M.G.!

Please provide some warning before posting pics like that! I hit my head on the floor when I passed out from an overdose of cuteness!

I think czarina had some good suggestions! I know that ChickenLegs will be an encyclopedia of knowledge on Down's squirrels.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

lovesmice Guest

What a cutie-puhtutie your Willow is! She is quite the photogenic squirrel. The shot of her and the handsome Wilfred snuggled together and sleeping is a real feel good kind of picture.

Willow definitely found her way to the human she was meant to be with. It is clear by what you wrote and the photos that you posted that she has already stolen your heart, and there is no way anybody could possible love her any more than you do.

I love reading rescues like this one. I look forward to following your thread.

Is there any way an admin could change the title to this thread? I would love to make it the "official" Willow thread, since it appears she is developing a bit of a fan club

Default Re: Little Willow's thread

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lgyure85 View Post
    Is there any way an admin could change the title to this thread? I would love to make it the "official" Willow thread, since it appears she is developing a bit of a fan club

A fan club? She is the main attraction!
    How are her poops? She is going to miss her little "brother" when he leaves.
    They are SO darned cute together.

I got 2 normal, solid poops (finally!) last night. Since she doesn't eat much, I think she may be perpetually stopped up. I encourage her to eat whatever she will, so hopefully eventually she will eat enough to be regular.

Quote Originally Posted by lgyure85 View Post
    I got 2 normal, solid poops (finally!) last night. Since she doesn't eat much, I think she may be perpetually stopped up. I encourage her to eat whatever she will, so hopefully eventually she will eat enough to be regular.
    Are you hydrating in between? You can put a little bit of apple juice in her water to entice her.
    Does her belly feel hard?

My little one devours her FV with a bit of maple syrup added.
    Willow is so cute !!

She's so sweet, look at that precious face!! I love seeing them snuggle together

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast