Thread: dry skin!

Default dry skin!

Hi im Leighanne and i am new. I have about 3 week old baby girl squirrel. I named her Elley. She is well hydrated, eats well with a cc syringe. I currently have her on esbilac puppy milk with heavy whipping cream. She takes it well. I have her on a heating pad thats sat on the lowest setting, i feed her every three hours. She is peeing and pooping well. I stimulat her every time i gmet done with a feeding so she can poop and urinate ok. My question is she started getting dry skin because wipe her off with a warm damp baby wash cloth to remove urine, poop, or any milk that has dripped on her to clean her. Now she has a bit of dry skin and i just would like to no how to moisturize her skin with out putting anything on her that could be toxic or harm her. I have read somewhere that you can put baby oil on them or baby lotion but im not really sure if you should or can with out it making them sick. Just want to do the right thing for her. Anything will help thanks!

Default Re: dry skin!

Quote Originally Posted by leighannemichelle View Post
    Hi im Leighanne and i am new. I have about 3 week old baby girl squirrel. I named her Elley. She is well hydrated, eats well with a cc syringe. I currently have her on esbilac puppy milk with heavy whipping cream. She takes it well. I have her on a heating pad thats sat on the lowest setting, i feed her every three hours. She is peeing and pooping well. I stimulat her every time i gmet done with a feeding so she can poop and urinate ok. My question is she started getting dry skin because wipe her off with a warm damp baby wash cloth to remove urine, poop, or any milk that has dripped on her to clean her. Now she has a bit of dry skin and i just would like to no how to moisturize her skin with out putting anything on her that could be toxic or harm her. I have read somewhere that you can put baby oil on them or baby lotion but im not really sure if you should or can with out it making them sick. Just want to do the right thing for her. Anything will help thanks!
    First, if you have her in a cardboard box, you need to move her to one of the little plastic bins cut holes in it for air of course. Cardboard will suck the moisture out of everything around it (ever store anything in cardboard boxes in a basement?). Then, get a little glass baby food jar or one of those glass custard cups, and put a saturated sponge in the jar and set the jar in the baby box on the side that is on the heating pad. keep the sponge wet and eep everything nice and clean and you will have a tiny sauna.

You can also give oral hydration between feedings - plain water is fine.

I don't like putting stuff on them if I can avoid it. Dry skin is from low humidity - the above will fix that.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Hi leighannemichelle you certainly have your hands full I'm sure, please stay on the Board and you will start receiving some very good answers to your questions You will also be asked a few questions too such as is that canned Esbilac puppy milk or powdered formula Esbilac? And could you post a picture of the little one when you get a chance.

Its powderd formula. And i have her in my night stand its made of wood. I am not sure on hiw to post pictures.

Annabelle's papa Guest

I hope I can do as well as Spanky !Name:  20150319_115902.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  20.2 KBName:  20150319_115833.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  9.6 KBName:  20150319_115753.jpg
Views: 2135
Size:  30.4 KBName:  20150316_132454.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  10.3 KB

Annabelle's papa Guest

This Lil' One belongs to leighannemichelle.

Yay! I live her so much

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, if you have her in a cardboard box, you need to move her to one of the little plastic bins cut holes in it for air of course. Cardboard will suck the moisture out of everything around it (ever store anything in cardboard boxes in a basement?). Then, get a little glass baby food jar or one of those glass custard cups, and put a saturated sponge in the jar and set the jar in the baby box on the side that is on the heating pad. keep the sponge wet and eep everything nice and clean and you will have a tiny sauna.

You can also give oral hydration between feedings - plain water is fine.

I don't like putting stuff on them if I can avoid it. Dry skin is from low humidity - the above will fix that.
    Hi leighannemichelle, you mentioned having a heating pad on low that's perfect, only keep it half way under the plastic bin CritterMom mentioned so your Baby can move away from the warm area in case She get's too hot. And please try to get Her weight and post it on this thread, Thank You.

She is beautiful and you're doing great. Dry skin in pinkies is very common, because normally they would be deep in the nest, underneath their mamma in a nice humid, warm environment almost all day long. What I do is to cut off a 3"x3" square sponge, wet it and put it in a little bowl or dish inside the pinky container. This should keep the air humid enough to avoid dry skin. I don't put anything on them -- oil, etc. -- because they are so tiny and sensitive at this age.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Annabelle's papa Guest

Yay! I live her so much
    Hi leighannemichelle, how is Elley doing, I'm sure you've gotten ahead of Her dry skin problem. Any new photos!