Thread: New babies stink and at least 1 has red pee

Default New babies stink and at least 1 has red pee

Well I thought the new guys were in good shape. Got them warm and fed last night - first feeding was just homemade pedialyte, subsequent feedings are goats milk formula. Checked everyone over this morning, nothing broken, swollen or bruised. Last night I noticed that they really stunk though - not like squirrel pee, but almost like Tom cat pee. That strong ammonia smell. Noticed today one of the boys pee is very little and red tinged. I think it is only one and it is just a dribble or two. I'm thinking it may just be because of the time of year not being that much food out there - mama was relying on her acorn stash and that its really nothing. Could this just be due to tannins in mama's milk or should I be worried? I was able to get fresh Esbilac this afternoon before the storms but I don't want to make the change is there is an issue.

Default Re: New babies stink and at least 1 has red pee

Make sure that they are hydrated enough. Don't know about the red tinge, acorns are plausible but definiately want them to be hydrated.

Trysh

I agree; dehydration will give them dark, stinky pee. BUT, although I've never used goat milk formula, I understand that it will also make stinky baby squirrels. Very nice chubby baby squirrels, but stinky too.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks IR that's what I was thinking too. We switched back and forth last night between formula and pedialyte. I have to change bedding this morning but everything looks normal and they stink like little squirrely babies instead of a cat box LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by riefderrico View Post
    Thanks IR that's what I was thinking too. We switched back and forth last night between formula and pedialyte. I have to change bedding this morning but everything looks normal and they stink like little squirrely babies instead of a cat box LOL!
    ok good. I was taught to always assume dehydration and to address it right after "warmth". It is the root cause of so many other things that go wrong with little squirrelly babies.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I'm still a little concerned about one of the boys. Every time I pick him up to feed him he is soaked from waste down and this evening his belly and privates were pinker than normal. The girl is super clean/dry, the other boy is - well a boy but not soaked like this little guy. Everyone is pooping normal formula poops - no diarrhea. And it still smells funny. Not like tom cat anymore but more like a dirty petting zoo - not normal squirrel smell. Poor fella. I wiped everyone down real good with damp cloth and changed all the bedding. He was not a fan of his belly being wiped down (the others seemed to enjoy it) not sure if I was tickling him or if he was uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe next couple feedings just give him a good flushing out with pedialyte and see if that resets his little system.

Quote Originally Posted by riefderrico View Post
    I'm still a little concerned about one of the boys. Every time I pick him up to feed him he is soaked from waste down and this evening his belly and privates were pinker than normal. The girl is super clean/dry, the other boy is - well a boy but not soaked like this little guy. Everyone is pooping normal formula poops - no diarrhea. And it still smells funny. Not like tom cat anymore but more like a dirty petting zoo - not normal squirrel smell. Poor fella. I wiped everyone down real good with damp cloth and changed all the bedding. He was not a fan of his belly being wiped down (the others seemed to enjoy it) not sure if I was tickling him or if he was uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe next couple feedings just give him a good flushing out with pedialyte and see if that resets his little system.
    My baby Sweet Pea is about 7 weeks old now he seems to have the same problem about smelly pee and all over his tummy. I have to fight with him to drink water doesn't seem to like it, but I am trying to get some pedialyte down him but these little guys are so strong. Had to roll him up in a blanket so I did manage to get some down.

Sometimes smelly urine and irritated genitals is a sign of a UTI. Do you have any antibiotics if needed? Call around to family and friends for any leftover antibiotics for humans or animals. Post what you find here and someone can help you dose and tell you if the ab will work.

In the meantime try the homemade rehydration solution. Pedialyte is not always well liked. Here’s the recipe: Mix 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 quart of warm water. Store in the fridge.

Be careful wrestling him to get him to drink water. You don’t want to aspirate him. If he still won’t take the hydration solution try just some slightly sweetened warm water or diluted cranberry juice.

Wipe his belly down with a warm washcloth or unscented baby wipe to remove the old urine.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

frankc (11-21-2020), island rehabber (11-20-2020), Rock Monkey (11-20-2020)

Also make sure the mixture is quite warm -- baby squees don't relate to anything cooler than their mamma's milk as being actual food or drink. Her body is about 101*F.

You could try a little honey on the tip of the syringe, or even substitute one of the teaspoons of sugar with 1/2 teaspoon honey. I had a baby once who would not take a drop of ANYthing for 14 hrs until I tried this, with success.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

frankc (11-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Sometimes smelly urine and irritated genitals is a sign of a UTI. Do you have any antibiotics if needed? Call around to family and friends for any leftover antibiotics for humans or animals. Post what you find here and someone can help you dose and tell you if the ab will work.

In the meantime try the homemade rehydration solution. Pedialyte is not always well liked. Here’s the recipe: Mix 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 Tablespoons of sugar and 1 quart of warm water. Store in the fridge.

Be careful wrestling him to get him to drink water. You don’t want to aspirate him. If he still won’t take the hydration solution try just some slightly sweetened warm water or diluted cranberry juice.

Wipe his belly down with a warm washcloth or unscented baby wipe to remove the old urine.
    I do have Clindamycin 300 mg i could use if someone would tell me how to dose. Thanks: