Thread: Squirrel Behavior and Environmental Impact Research

Default Squirrel Behavior and Environmental Impact Research

The purpose of this thread is for a quick easy location for research, case citations, grant funding, non-profit links etc... Please post links to scientific research on squirrels (and other small mammals) and their positive impact on the environment.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to riefderrico from:

Lighten-Up (02-27-2017)

Default Re: Squirrel Behavior and Environmental Impact Research

Grants available for research, and data collection/analysis to further the preservation of natural resources.

Uses and Use Restrictions (070):
    Research grants will be used for improving scientific support for natural resource management, to enhance public awareness and understanding of natural resource conservation and preservation. Projects may include land management practices; literature research, data/information analysis and dissemination improving scientific support for natural resource management. Details on funding opportunities can be found on www.Grants.gov. 100%.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to riefderrico from:

Anne (02-22-2017)

This is one of the fields & topics that interests me as an undergrad student.. will be watching for updates.

Quote Originally Posted by riefderrico View Post
    Please post links to scientific research on squirrels (and other small mammals) and their positive impact on the environment.
    I am very interested in understanding how squirrels/small mammals have a positive impact on the environment.

I have become keenly aware how much they are viewed by the public as vermin, pests, carriers of disease, basically a public nuisance. This is ignorance, and need not be so. Small mammals are very important as a part of a "whole ecosystem".

Go in any farm store and you will find "bird seed" to bless the birds, and you will find right next to that, "mouse traps" or poison to kill the mice.

People put up nice environmental signs to display in their yards to show their environmental helpfulness: "Pollinator Habitat", "Butterfly Habitat", "Bird-Friendly Habitat".

I suspect if someone put up a sign in their yard that said "Rodent Habitat", authorities would be all over them if they lived in an urban area.

After having met several squirrels and mice as the most delightful friends and beings, it is my hearts desire to be of help to raise their image in public awareness and humandom, to a much more valued position than it currently is.

I do understand that mice in houses can be very destructive, etc., I have lived this; so I do understand why many people feel negatively as they do. I just know that there are ways we haven't found yet to live in harmony with them, rather than at war with them, and I would like to be of service in this area. I am dedicating much of my time toward this. Rodents have a tremendous VALUE to the entire world, and I would love to help raise that awareness.

Thank you riefderrico for your interest in this. I will check back here.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

island rehabber (02-27-2017)

Gladbutterfly Guest

Smile Re: Squirrel Behavior and Environmental Impact Research

I also wish to see any solid research on squirrels. The experiments I read about were so limited in scope that I found them boring. Squirrels are such fascinating creatures, I hope some links to more interesting scientific studies will be posted here.
    The photos show 2 bird feeders that squirrels can't master, and a mesh one that sufficiently long and agile squirrels love to hang upside down and eat sunflower seeds out of. You can't see the feeder because a black squirrel is hanging in front of it, heeheehee.
    Attached Images Attached Images