Thread: Possible Lice Eggs?

Hybrid View

scibionerd Guest

Default Possible Lice Eggs?

Hi folks,
    Name:  2015-02-16 19.04.41.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  923.9 KB
    I'm a grad student who studies Western gray squirrels in Southern California. Can anyone confirm that this hair sample contains lice eggs?

Thanks,
    Chris

nchls_school Guest

Default Re: Possible Lice Eggs?

I found this picture on a site. it's is lice eggs-nit.

Name:  nit-lice-egg.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  2.9 KB

yes, believe so. Usually on an animal who comes into rehab, without magnification, they look like tiny grains of white sand or rice.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Hi Chris,

Welcome!!!

Tell us more about what you are studying with the western grey.

Trysh

scibionerd Guest

Thanks for the responses! At least it's not mange mites. I also sent the pic to a wildlife vet just for another opinion- waiting to hear back.

Trysh- I'm doing a population genetics study on the Western gray squirrel (WGS) population Griffith Park, Los Angeles. Because Griffith Park seems completely isolated from the rest of the Santa Monica Mtns, there is concern that this local population of WGSs could be at risk of extinction. I do field surveys to see where in Griffith Park the WGSs are in relation to the Eastern fox squirrels and map their distribution. Then I put out "hairtubes" which are plastic tubes with a piece of sticky tape on either end, in the upper entrance of the tubes. I bait the tube with walnuts and when the squirrels go inside, they rub against the tape, leaving some hair behind. This sample I showed you had significantly more hair than I usually get! So, I wonder if the lice are making the hair come out more easily. I identify WGS hair and then extract the DNA from it. I sequence part of their DNA and also have it genotyped (determine genetic makeup of that individual based on several locations in their genome). By comparing the genetic diversity I can get a picture of how viable is the population.

Thanks,
    Chris

Thanks for that information. How did you choose this population to study. Will you continue to study WGS in the future or is this get to finish grad school?

Is there a concern that the Fox squirrel is chasing the WGS out? Please keep us informed of your study. We love learning anything about squirrels.

Trysh

Members who have read this thread: 5