Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi I'm fixing to be a new mommy

Default Hi I'm fixing to be a new mommy

I just received the email my twin flyers will be here Thur. I've been doing tons of research but need a little advice. I'm excited and scared at same time. I have cage, toys, fleece bedding but what kind of water bowl. What for bedding ie., tissue paper towels? Any advice from anybody please they will be 7 week when I get.
    Tammie.

Default Re: Hi I'm fixing to be a new mommy

How much research have you done?

I've gone thru this site, the one that someone on this site recommend and the lady I bought my kids from has a lot of info. Everyone is conflicting about some things so I just thought I would ask?.

tammiesue
    to TheSquirrelBoard

Oh my ... How exciting!!!
    Yes, you will have a million questions.
    As far as water for a flyer, a glass bird silo or a tiny bowl is best. Water bottles are not recommended for flyers because their tiny delicate tongue can get pinched with the steel ball in the water bottles.
    http://t.petco.com/product/6098/Petc...ater-Silo.aspx

I use a tiny bowl and a bird water silo. I like having a back up. One of my boys kicked some fleece in the water bowl once and the water was absorbed in the fleece.

For bedding, you can cut small squares of fleece 3x3, 4x4', 5x5 and 6x6inch squares. Give them a bundle of these and they will make their own beds. They like hanging pouches, hammocks and cubes. Some will use the small bird wooden nest boxes. Mine prefer the fleeces pouches etc. They didn't use the wooden nest box. Flyers love cotton balls but I am trying to get away from cotton or anything that has long fibers. The fibers can get around limbs and cut off circulation. I recently bought some short fiber cotton nesting material at PetCo.

Do you know about the dangers of toilets? The number one cause of death of flyers in the home is drowning in the toilet. You will need toilet ladders. Are you familiar with these?

I guess you have studied the diet. 7 weeks is a good time to start getting on a healthy diet. DO NOT give them nuts to start. You will create a monster. They need to learn to eat block first, then veggies, mealworms, mushrooms etc. If they eat nuts first, they won't eat anything else. You'll have some picky little kids.

Alright, it's late, gotta go. I'm looking forward to meeting your babies. Don't hesitate to ask questions. We're here to help!!!

Thank you so much ,yes I read about toilets and ordered ladder, I also read about fleece so when Walmart had the little fleece blankets on sale let's just say I went a little over board. I'm excited Im a disabled vet and a hermit most time. I needed a new baby and I was lucky enough to get 2. I am in Tenn and have located 5 vets close to me that will see my babies.I love reading all these post

Welcome to TSB, tammiesue, and congratulations on becoming a HOF (Human Owned by Flyers)! You have the best flyer folk around to get advice from, here, and they love to help. Can't wait to see pix of your twins.

AND.....thank you for your service to our country.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by tammiesue View Post
    Thank you so much ,yes I read about toilets and ordered ladder, I also read about fleece so when Walmart had the little fleece blankets on sale let's just say I went a little over board. I'm excited Im a disabled vet and a hermit most time. I needed a new baby and I was lucky enough to get 2. I am in Tenn and have located 5 vets close to me that will see my babies.I love reading all these post

Welcome soldier! Thank you for your service.

I'm not a hermit yet but it IS my goal in life. I'm thinking about a moat around my property with gators. Yeah, that'll do it.

You will LOVE your little babies! I would keep them on formula as long as they will take it. Find out what they are on. Most flyer peeps use FoxValley 32/40 because of the extra protein.

Welcome again!!

Hi and welcome to the TSB.

I don't know much about fliers but you can find expert advice here on the TSB for all things squirrely!

Never hesitate to post questions here, there are always many people happy to give any help they can

HRT4SQRL's advice is always right on, she is one of my go-to people when I need some experienced help.

Welcome and thanks for your service!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

A huge welcome to you! Flyers are sooo special in the squirrel world. I will PM you my phone number and you may call me anytime and I will do everything I can to be a help. Glad you are getting twins-two are always better than one!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Welcome to TSB, tammiesue, and congratulations on becoming a HOF (Human Owned by Flyers)! You have the best flyer folk around to get advice from, here, and they love to help. Can't wait to see pix of your twins.

AND.....thank you for your service to our country.
    Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post

Welcome soldier! Thank you for your service.

I'm not a hermit yet but it IS my goal in life. I'm thinking about a moat around my property with gators. Yeah, that'll do it.

You will LOVE your little babies! I would keep them on formula as long as they will take it. Find out what they are on. Most flyer peeps use FoxValley 32/40 because of the extra protein.

Welcome again!!

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Hi and welcome to the TSB.

I don't know much about fliers but you can find expert advice here on the TSB for all things squirrely!

Never hesitate to post questions here, there are always many people happy to give any help they can

HRT4SQRL's advice is always right on, she is one of my go-to people when I need some experienced help.

Welcome and thanks for your service!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    A huge welcome to you! Flyers are sooo special in the squirrel world. I will PM you my phone number and you may call me anytime and I will do everything I can to be a help. Glad you are getting twins-two are always better than one!
    Your Service To Our Great Country, As You Know, Give's Us The Freedom And Security To Experience A Forum Such As The Squirrel Board, Thank You Very Much. You will never be "Alone" long enough to be a Hermit, having the support from the Folk's mentioned above, and the compassion of the other Members You will find Here.

Thank you guys so much, I am so excited. Ok here's what I've been wondering. I see everyone says wood, and limbs. Not pine or cedar. But what about black walnut, popular, dogwood? And blocks? I've seen where you can buy the bird ones? Nuts? Is that the bag you would buy for human consumption? Yorgut chips, dried fruit? My breeder sells her homemade mixture should I just stay with that? And I will still be giving them formula she's sending it with them.
    Bonding ? Do you leave them in there pouch and put in bra? Or just put in bra? I don't being pee'd on
    I will post pictures the minute I can..all everyones opinions and ideas are most welcome...

Thank you guys so much, I am so excited. Ok here's what I've been wondering. I see everyone says wood, and limbs. Not pine or cedar. But what about black walnut, popular, dogwood? And blocks? I've seen where you can buy the bird ones? Nuts? Is that the bag you would buy for human consumption? Yorgut chips, dried fruit? My breeder sells her homemade mixture should I just stay with that? And I will still be giving them formula she's sending it with them.
    Bonding ? Do you leave them in there pouch and put in bra? Or just put in bra? I don't being pee'd on
    I will post pictures the minute I can..all everyones opinions and ideas are most welcome...
    Tammiesue,
    Here is the thread for the Healthy Flyer Diet. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...quirrels/page3 Go to the first post in this thread. You will see that black walnut, poplar and dogwood are on the 'safe' list for branches.

I'm just guessing here but I would bet that your breeders 'homemade mixture' is not the proper diet for flyers. I could be wrong but we see it so often here that it's a good guess. Here's the way to tell ... if the homemade mixture is a mixture of seeds and nuts, sorta like a hampster or gerbil food, it is completely wrong.

With new babies, you have a 'clean slate' so to speak, so we can start them on a healthy diet. With a healthy diet, they can live up to 15 years. With an improper diet, they won't live a year. Diet is EVERYTHING, seriously! If they are fed a diet of nuts and seeds they will develop a condition called Metabolic Bone Disease due to lack of calcium. In it's latest stages it is fatal. That's why diet is critical.

The best foods have 2 parts calcium to 1 part phosphorus. You want to avoid or limit high phosphorus foods. I'll post some charts that you can study so you will understand which foods are the best. Nuts have high phosphorus levels so they are limited to the treat category. My flyers only get 1 nut or even 1/2 nut per day. That is after they have gotten their block and healthy veggies. I give them their nut as I am leaving for work in the morning around 0545. I do give them an in shell nut about once or twice a week so that they can keep their teeth filed down. Oh, and yes, these are the same nuts that people eat. The best nuts are almonds and hazelnut but they can have pecans and walnuts but again in limited amounts. Just raw nuts ... not salted. I never feed peanuts for a lot of reasons but we can talk about that later.

Your babies will need to eat a rodent block. There is a block made specifically for flyers called Henry's Healthy Flyer blocks. I'll go get the link. It is a supplement block. They would only need one per day. brb

Found the henry blocks how many bags should I order? I am going to pet smart tomorrow to get water bowls and get a few things. I've definitely been lucky in buying stuff I made the fleece toys and nesters and Walmart had the blankets still on sale so I bought to tubs full. I'm probably over spending but I want to be a good mommy...thank you

Link for Calcium Phosphorus ratios.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...s-Ratios/page3

Go to post #1
    The best foods have 2:1 (calcium: phosphorus)

Example:
    Good.. Kale (2.4:1)
    Bad ... Pine nuts (1:35.9)

If you look at the nuts they all have high phosphorus so that's why they are limited to treats. Unfortunately, the foods they like the best are bad for them like nuts, seeds and corn. It's sorta like us, you know Snickers bars and Fritos.

I think I would only buy one bag to start. By the way, it needs to be stored in the freezer because it doesn't have preservatives. You can put a ZipLoc Baggie in the refrig with about 7 blocks. At first I would cut one in half and give each baby 1/2.

I would ask the breeder what type of formula the babies have been on. If they will still take formula I would definitely give it to them. I have a 4 year old that still takes formula. He drinks it out of a tiny bowl. (About a tablespoon)

You might want to buy a bag of FoxValley 32/40 formula. (Henry's sells that also.) If they are on a 'proper' formula, you could continue to offer that instead of the FV. I have 3 flyers. Only one of my boys drinks formula, the other two don't.

OVERSPENDING ... Oh yeah, we all do that! Fleece, yes we are all hoarders!

A bag of Henry's blocks will last a gray a month. It's two a day. Because Henry's has flat rate shipping, many people buy multiple bags and keep them in the freezer for long term storage. Short term storage has to be the fridge or freezer. They arrive unrefrigerated, but that's OK.

Oh, I see, flyer. I'm not sure how long a bag lasts.

Oh yes, they will pee on you. No doubt. As far as bonding, having two might make it a little harder because they are bonded to each other. I, personally didn't use a bonding pouch but many do. They are very social little critters so given time they really will love you and want to be with you.

yeah just ordered the blocks. Now I had an iguana once that I had to buy fresh food all time, but with his food I could freeze it than thaw in morning before I fed her. Is that the same with flyers? I grow my own veggies so come summer I won't have to worry so much about going to the store so much. I still couldn't find any post about the yogurt chips? Treat only? I mean I have been reading I've got these things so far
    Cage medium size 3 level
    Cuttlebone 2
    Ropes 10 small ones to hang
    Ordered Henry's blocks 2 bags
    Tons of fleece stuff pouches hammocks cubes etc..
    First aid kit
    Tomorrow getting water food bowls
    WHAT ELSE LOL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast