Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Abscess on neck

Default Abscess on neck

Hello, first off let me start by giving you some back round information on Petya. She came in to my life last september when she had the unfortunate luck of getting hit in the face by the side of a truck tire while trying to cross the road. I was in the opposing lane at the time so I witnessed her get hit then plop right on to her back in the road. I'm always seeing various animal innards and limbs scattered all across that road and knew she couldn't of immediately died from the angle she had gotten hit. I decided to turn my car around, wrap her up in my sweat shirt, and bring her home. That way if she died she would die safe and warm and not have to suffer through being run over who knows how many more times. Much to my surprise after about an hour of cuddling her close to me while she was in my sweatshirt she sprang back to life, although incredibly injured. To start she was the definition of skin and bones, her paw and front leg couldn't support any weight, her tongue had gone through her teeth, and her face was incredibly swollen and torn up. Knowing there was absolutely no way she could be released in that state I brought her inside and set her up a nice makeshift cage. I spent the next few hours calling every vet and rehabber within three hours, all of which refused to take her. Completely beside myself I decided to take matters in to my own hands, there was absolutely no way I'd let this little girl suffer. Using advice I had gotten from one of the rehabbers I spent the next few month nursing her back to health. At first, I had every intention of releasing her, but as more time passed the more she showed signs of things that made me hesitant. First of all she has some sort of constant sneeze (she'll sneeze a few times a day, but she has no signs of illness) no matter what her bedding is, judging by where she was hit her nose took most of the impact so I think it's very possible her carilidge and passages could be a bit funky. That being said she also has issues finding food unless it is less than two inches in front of her, her balance is not at all what it should be, and she has no fear of humans(I'm guilty of enabling this) or cats. She has been outside several times and every time she either freezes and stays on my shoulder or quickly burrows in to my hood or sleeve. For whatever reason she seems absolutely petrified of going outside now. I've tried several times(and in two different states) to get some sort of license to keep her and classify her as a "pet" so I could bring her to the vet.

All of that being said, about four days ago I noticed a bit of swelling on the side of her face. Thinking she may have just gotten stressed and bitten the cage bars I brushed it off. What started as a little bit of swelling has very quickly grown in to a lump about the size of a walnut on the side of her neck. The lump is firm and warm, but has no hair loss or red/black spots in it. She still seems to be eating normally and she's as lively as ever. She also has been experiencing some dry skin on her side that she's been itching constantly. I'm wondering if anyone know of any over the counter medicines I could give her to make the lump go away and any good remedies for dry skin. Not having a license for her has made everything a huge headache and I'm really scared she'll get taken away. I also doubt any Maine/New Hampshire rehabbers would be willing to work with me and help me get the vet attention she needs, although I'm not sure how to really go about asking. I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to help this little girl out, I just want her to be better and not have to suffer.
    Name:  a.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  397.7 KBName:  tumblr_niwaczWyG41qbwwreo1_1280.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  411.4 KBName:  tumblr_niwaczWyG41qbwwreo3_1280.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  372.8 KBName:  tumblr_niwaczWyG41qbwwreo4_1280.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  394.6 KB
    I'm also going to attach a picture of a "boil" she's had since a few days after getting hit by the car. It's red and hairless and I always assumed that it was just a scar from getting injured, but at this point I don't want to over look anything.

Default Re: Abscess on neck

What town are you located in? I may be able to help you with a vet. The abscess will need to be opened and drained and she should be on antibiotics after that.

CritterMom knows her stuff and would be a great person to work with in healing little Petya!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    What town are you located in? I may be able to help you with a vet. The abscess will need to be opened and drained and she should be on antibiotics after that.
    Thank you so much!! I'm currently in Fryeburg, but I would be willing to drive however far as needed to help my Petya.
    I seriously can't even tell you how grateful I am for you offering. You're the best.

Well, you are going to have to - unfortunately all my vet info is in the southern end of the state - but Fryeburg isn't that far. I am going to send you a private message with the info that I have. When you refresh your screen, a window will pop up with a link to my PM.

and for saving this one from the road. Wish there were more people like you out there!

You are in excellent hands with Crittermom.

Just a heads up, probably best to stop trying to get permission to keep her. You won't. But, you are alerting some to the fact that you have her. Mums the word, around here.
    The less people that know you have her, the safer she is. Very few people know I have squirrels, and its the same with most here. There are only a couple of legal states, so most of us are "outlaws", just trying to help our squirrel friends.

I hope you stick around, there is a wealth of information here, starting with diet, which is extremely important to maintain a healthy squirrel. But, there is information on just about everything squirrel here, and some extremely qualified folks to help with emergencies and everyday problems.

Please keep us updated on your little one.

I had a little boy with an abscess like that. I finally took him to my rehab mentor. The lump was hard & we weren't sure it was an abscess (as opposed to a tumor) and we decided to try to lance it....it was an abscess and IT STUNK- all sorts of nasty green goop came out. He cried and struggled (which made ME cry) but never tried to bite. My mentor had to push pretty hard to get all the nastiness out- it was heartbreaking and really gross. She gave the little guy some pain meds and he stayed on antibiotics for a while and now he is enjoying his life in the trees, living the good, wild life!
    My mentor said it was the type of thing I could do, but I wasn't comfortable doing it so she did it. She used a hypodermic needle to lance it on the side- for better drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by czarina View Post
    and for saving this one from the road. Wish there were more people like you out there!

You are in excellent hands with Crittermom.

Just a heads up, probably best to stop trying to get permission to keep her. You won't. But, you are alerting some to the fact that you have her. Mums the word, around here.
    The less people that know you have her, the safer she is. Very few people know I have squirrels, and its the same with most here. There are only a couple of legal states, so most of us are "outlaws", just trying to help our squirrel friends.

I hope you stick around, there is a wealth of information here, starting with diet, which is extremely important to maintain a healthy squirrel. But, there is information on just about everything squirrel here, and some extremely qualified folks to help with emergencies and everyday problems.

Please keep us updated on your little one.
    Thank you so much, I'm very glad I ended up turning back she's been an amazing friend so far. I never knew squirrels had so much personality!! Yeah, I've given up on the state almost completely on licensing, but it's really good to know I'm not the only 'outlaw' ( ) out there. I was so nervous posting on here because I wasn't sure how people would take me being unlicensed and attempting to care for her. So far everyone has been wonderful though, such a relief.
    I've learned so much from the site already, super excited to learn more and make my little Petya as happy as she can be

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHill View Post
    I had a little boy with an abscess like that. I finally took him to my rehab mentor. The lump was hard & we weren't sure it was an abscess (as opposed to a tumor) and we decided to try to lance it....it was an abscess and IT STUNK- all sorts of nasty green goop came out. He cried and struggled (which made ME cry) but never tried to bite. My mentor had to push pretty hard to get all the nastiness out- it was heartbreaking and really gross. She gave the little guy some pain meds and he stayed on antibiotics for a while and now he is enjoying his life in the trees, living the good, wild life!
    My mentor said it was the type of thing I could do, but I wasn't comfortable doing it so she did it. She used a hypodermic needle to lance it on the side- for better drainage.
    I'm really happy it worked out for your little one! Yeah, I don't think I'd be able to drain it myself. I'm a nursing assistant so it's pretty much my job to deal with all sorts of yucky stuff, but I don't think I could stomach it, especially if she cries (

Soooooo glad you're here. Critter Mom will move mountains to help a squirrel. From what I hear that would be mountains of snow. That's one lucky little squirrel. So many people speed up to hit the little guys. Your sweet girl has a good mom and will have a good squirrley life with you. They give more than we can ever give them you know.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Hi Petya and to The Squirrel Board! You couldn't be in better Hands than CritterMom, and Everyone Else Here.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  127.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  122.2 KB

A better look at the lump

That really does look like an abscess IMHO. How long did it take to grow to that size?

Do you have any pictures of her lower and top front teeth?

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    That really does look like an abscess IMHO. How long did it take to grow to that size?

Do you have any pictures of her lower and top front teeth?
    5 days.

Ok, that is good news. No way that could be a tumor, it is an abscess.

5 days.

-Grateful Dead

It is pretty amazing that formerly wild squirrel will let you touch her belly like that. Even my baby Sandy that we raised would rarely let me touch her belly like that. What a sweet squirrel.

Crittermom, do you think a warm compress might help to bring it to a head so as to get it to burst?

Quote Originally Posted by sandycheeks View Post
    It is pretty amazing that formerly wild squirrel will let you touch her belly like that. Even my baby Sandy that we raised would rarely let me touch her belly like that. What a sweet squirrel.
    Yeah she's a super sweet girl! She loves her tummy rubs :P

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Crittermom, do you think a warm compress might help to bring it to a head so as to get it to burst?
    Petya is hitting the road tomorrow to go to a vet to have this taken care of properly.

. Keeping my fingers crossed for sweet Petya.

Petya is hitting the road tomorrow to go to a vet to have this taken care of properly.

-Grateful Dead

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast