Thread: help me build an ideal nesting box/drey

Default help me build an ideal nesting box/drey

Please can anyone help,i need some suggestions on what size nesting box/drey to build in order to release my squirrel back into the wild with somewhere she can run to and hide if she needs to do so,we are going to release her at a local wildlife country park away from all roads and cats,but we need the nest box to keep in with its surroundings so in other words blend in with the trees etc so please has anyone got any pictures with dimentions/measurments that they can post up to show me. p.s. my hubby did try to make one already but it was way too big more like a "post box"(i could have moved in!!!) not a nest box!!!so obviously that wont do as it will stick out like a sore thumb!!!....still his heart was in the right place ...i think he just got a little carried away with himself..must be cause he IS a builder by trade. I look forward to any pics/help in response to this post.
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Buddy'sMom Guest

Default Re: help me build an ideal nesting box/drey

I started collecting some of the various nest box and release cage postings in this thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4362

We covered most of Buddy's nestbox with screening material -- for a foothold, but it also makes it blend nicely with the tree trunk. (Ummmm, his box is probably also much bigger than you want for your situation -- although we know it is attractive to squirrels -- Buddy liked it a lot, until he was evicted by a wild female mama )

Also, maybe you can figure out a way to attach some small twigs or branches for more camouflage?

I haven't finished rounding them all up and there are others in various places here, so you can also try the "Search" feature at the top of the screen.

Good luck!! (and pls come back and post pictures of what you come up with -- I'm sure it will help others out also! )

THANK YOU i love the nest boxes....i will just customise/camouflage them a bit thats all. thats great if it were my own back garden i would prefer the big boxes anyway....but there are lots of cats and a main road near us so not a good idea to release her in my garden but i wish i could still its for her own good that she is going to be released somewhere reasonably safe like the country park.
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Bob's Backyard site has some plans:
    http://www.squirrelhouse.com/enter/indexa.html

I got my plans for Skipper's house from another site before I discovered his. I'll see if I can find them.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skwerls_R_soft
    ...I got my plans for Skipper's house from another site before I discovered his. I'll see if I can find them.
    This one? [Originally Posted by skwerls_R_soft: "Here is the plan I used. I modified it a bit and put the hole on the side.
    http://www.tricklecreekbooks.com/squ...edhomestoo.htm " ]