Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: live trapped squirrels

Default Re: live trapped squirrels

I hate to keep harping on this, but if this is what you have: http://www.henryspets.com/pure-protein-isolate/

That entire bag is only 4.5 services. Even for a little red squirrel it wouldn't be more than twice that - 9 servings.

Can you check to see exactly what products you have? I know you have the calcium - what is the other? Is it Henry's Vitamins or Whey Protein Isolate?

nchls_school Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I hate to keep harping on this, but if this is what you have: http://www.henryspets.com/pure-protein-isolate/

That entire bag is only 4.5 services. Even for a little red squirrel it wouldn't be more than twice that - 9 servings.

Can you check to see exactly what products you have? I know you have the calcium - what is the other? Is it Henry's Vitamins or Whey Protein Isolate?
    Henry's vita-mins and Henry's Healthy Protein.Name:  sad and sleepy.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  187.9 KBName:  miserable1.jpg
Size:  235.6 KB

He isn't getting enough protein. You simply must come up with a way to get this into him. Either come up with some combo of stuff to mix with the blocks - heck, try Sammysmom's suggestion of nutella, or with Ensure, or you need to mix a LOT more of the powder with the almond butter or something. Please read the label.

Grind one of the Henrys blocks, mix with an equal amount of the protein powder, and add enough almond butter and/or nutella so you can roll it into little balls.

Also, if you are dosing him with both the Henry's VITAMINS and the calcium, you are doubling up calcium. If you read the label of the VITAMINS, you will see they also have calcium in them.

Quote Originally Posted by nchls_school View Post
    Henry's vita-mins and Henry's Healthy Protein.Name:  sad and sleepy.jpg
Size:  187.9 KBName:  miserable1.jpg
Size:  235.6 KB
    He looks like he isn't feeling well at all.
    Poor little peanut.

OK, I have been advised that the "serving size" on the protein powder isn't for a single serving - it is for an entire recipe of the blocks. He likely isn't getting quite enough protein per day but it isn't as bad as I thought.

I thought about Peanut all night. I *may* have come up with something he might like to eat.

Do you have a Petco or similar pet store nearby? They sell Esbilac Puppy replacement formula. You want the stuff in the big can - it is a powder. It isn't cheap - probably $25. It is what we feed the baby squirrels - you mix it with water to feed as a liquid.

I would mix the dry powder right into the little almond butter balls you are making. It is designed to be a total diet for baby squirrels so it has all sorts of nutrients, and they usually like the taste.

nchls_school Guest

He isn't getting enough protein. You simply must come up with a way to get this into him. Either come up with some combo of stuff to mix with the blocks - heck, try Sammysmom's suggestion of nutella, or with Ensure, or you need to mix a LOT more of the powder with the almond butter or something. Please read the label.

Grind one of the Henrys blocks, mix with an equal amount of the protein powder, and add enough almond butter and/or nutella so you can roll it into little balls.

Also, if you are dosing him with both the Henry's VITAMINS and the calcium, you are doubling up calcium. If you read the label of the VITAMINS, you will see they also have calcium in them.
    I mixed the 1/8 tsp. of protein powder with just a bit of peanut butter; it was gone before I came to work. The ensure that he liked to begin with is now something that he will not eat/drink. I talked with Kimmi about the doubling up of calcium and she said she has been taking into account that there is calcium in the vitamins so Peanut has not been getting a double amount. It is unbelievable how hard such a little squirrel can resist when he doesn't want something. He's pretty hard to hold onto when he is upset; he sure can squirm.

nchls_school Guest

OK, I have been advised that the "serving size" on the protein powder isn't for a single serving - it is for an entire recipe of the blocks. He likely isn't getting quite enough protein per day but it isn't as bad as I thought.

I thought about Peanut all night. I *may* have come up with something he might like to eat.

Do you have a Petco or similar pet store nearby? They sell Esbilac Puppy replacement formula. You want the stuff in the big can - it is a powder. It isn't cheap - probably $25. It is what we feed the baby squirrels - you mix it with water to feed as a liquid.

I would mix the dry powder right into the little almond butter balls you are making. It is designed to be a total diet for baby squirrels so it has all sorts of nutrients, and they usually like the taste.
    No Petco or any other pet type store near. Peanut ate the peanut butter with protein readily enough, but from what I have just read, I over did it. I put an 1/8 tsp. of Henry's protein powder in a small dad of peanut butter this morning; a serving size he would eat completely. He did so in an hour and a half. Too much protein at one time? I will remember the formula idea and if needed we'll make the drive and get some.

nchls_school Guest

This picture shows the bare spots on Peanuts head. There are similar spot on his paws and legs.

Name:  bald spot.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  224.9 KB

No Petco or any other pet type store near. Peanut ate the peanut butter with protein readily enough, but from what I have just read, I over did it. I put an 1/8 tsp. of Henry's protein powder in a small dad of peanut butter this morning; a serving size he would eat completely. He did so in an hour and a half. Too much protein at one time? I will remember the formula idea and if needed we'll make the drive and get some.
    No, no - that is fine - I was mis-interpreting the label (that is a nice way of saying I screwed up).

nchls_school Guest

No, no - that is fine - I was mis-interpreting the label (that is a nice way of saying I screwed up).
    I have a short video of Peanut from last night and have saved it to my computer but I can't make sense of how to post it. Maybe you can explain? I'm sure the video would show what you need to see and how he acts. Not a computer person. What is URL?

I have a short video of Peanut from last night and have saved it to my computer but I can't make sense of how to post it. Maybe you can explain? I'm sure the video would show what you need to see and how he acts. Not a computer person. What is URL?

Can you email this video?
    I am not a computer person either, but when I have video's I put
    them into a photo site, photobucket or smug mug and then get the link and
    post that. Some others use You Tube.
    You can email me at ***

nchls_school Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Can you email this video?
    I am not a computer person either, but when I have video's I put
    them into a photo site, photobucket or smug mug and then get the link and
    post that. Some others use You Tube.
    You can email me at ***
    I will try right now.

nchls_school Guest

Looks a little better.

Name:  peanut in hand.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  79.9 KBName:  peanut in hand 2.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  235.2 KB

I got the video and am putting it into another program so I will be able to post it.

Here you go.
    OMG this is just ONE PRECIOUS BABY!!!!!!!

VIDEO click on picture.

What a cute little Peanut!! I read that there is no where close to get Esbilac but (and this is a question for the experts) would formula be good food for a squirrel this age? I would be willing to send you some if it would work?? It just seems to me you could dress it up so Peanut would like it and it may be a good way to get him the nutrition he needs. Let me know if I can help. BTW we got a Christmas ornament that I think Peanut modeled for.

Name:  DSCN0119.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  1.14 MB

OK, guys.

I knew last night that Peanut was not getting enough protein, but I did not know how much was the RIGHT amount.

I was able to talk to Leigh, the woman who owns Henry's, about this - it is her product so that is where I went. If this is the only protein that Peanut is getting, and it is if you have given a full list of his foods, he needs to be getting ONE TEASPOON per day. Please increase what you are giving him. I do believe this may have something to do with his poor condition right now.

nchls_school Guest

OK, guys.

I knew last night that Peanut was not getting enough protein, but I did not know how much was the RIGHT amount.

I was able to talk to Leigh, the woman who owns Henry's, about this - it is her product so that is where I went. If this is the only protein that Peanut is getting, and it is if you have given a full list of his foods, he needs to be getting ONE TEASPOON per day. Please increase what you are giving him. I do believe this may have something to do with his poor condition right now.
    It was a full list of what I know he will eat. We constantly try other items without a lot of success. 1 tsp. powdered protein starting tomorrow morning. To be mixed-1 tsp of powdered protein + 1/8 tsp of vitamins + 1/4 tsp of powdered calcium + peanut or almond butter. Can you give me an approximate on the peanut/almond butter?

nchls_school Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I got the video and am putting it into another program so I will be able to post it.
    Thank you.

As little as possible to get it into him.
    It was a full list of what I know he will eat. We constantly try other items without a lot of success. 1 tsp. powdered protein starting tomorrow morning. To be mixed-1 tsp of powdered protein + 1/8 tsp of vitamins + 1/4 tsp of powdered calcium + peanut or almond butter. Can you give me an approximate on the peanut/almond butter?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.