Thread: Can I keep two squirrels in same cage???

Exclamation Can I keep two squirrels in same cage???

Guys,
    Mine is India palm Squirrel. They are of same litters, one is male and another one is female, can i keep them both in one cage, they are fighting but I don't know that they are really fighting or playing. Advice please!!!!

Default Re: Can I keep two squirrels in same cage???

How old are these squirrels?
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Are you planning to release them? They very well could breed if older.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Hi lennysmom, krtmanjo has a full thread with photo's and info titled: PLS HELP Urgent, 6 week old squirrel got aspiration pneumonia.

Quote Originally Posted by krtmanoj View Post
    Guys,
    Mine is India palm Squirrel. They are of same litters, one is male and another one is female, can i keep them both in one cage, they are fighting but I don't know that they are really fighting or playing. Advice please!!!!

If they are chasing each other, hanging on each other, and pouncing on each other, it is probably playing. If you see them locked together like wrestlers, rolling over and over on the ground and making angry noises -- that's fighting. There really is a big difference in squirrels. If they are chattering their teeth at each other, that's a warning that a fight is about to begin.

My biggest concern about putting them together if they are more than 6 months old is that they could breed, and breeding sister to brother is NEVER a good idea.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Exclamation Re: Can I keep two squirrels in same cage???

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Hai Lennysmom,
    They are now 7 weeks old

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post

If they are chasing each other, hanging on each other, and pouncing on each other, it is probably playing. If you see them locked together like wrestlers, rolling over and over on the ground and making angry noises -- that's fighting. There really is a big difference in squirrels. If they are chattering their teeth at each other, that's a warning that a fight is about to begin.

My biggest concern about putting them together if they are more than 6 months old is that they could breed, and breeding sister to brother is NEVER a good idea.
    Hai island rehabber.,
    They seems to be biting each other but not much forcefully, they are chasing each other. I hope they are playing

Talking Re: Can I keep two squirrels in same cage???

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Are you planning to release them? They very well could breed if older.
    Dear Ferrelli,
    I'm not going to release them, they are now well tamed and they always like to be with humans,
    They are part of my family now.
    When one of the squirrel got aspiration problem, my mom and dad sat with me nearly 5 hours to observe them, as like a child.
    So I can't leave them, my family loves them very much. They are our first pet squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by krtmanoj View Post
    Hai Lennysmom,
    They are now 7 weeks old
    If they are only 7 weeks old, you may be able to pair them together, since they are still so young. But like IR said, watch closely for signs of fighting and not just playing, such a teeth chattering, as you wouldn't want them to injure one another.
    Regarding release, I know you said you are planning to keep them and I don't know how different the squirrels in India are, but keep in mind many squirrels wild up on their own at a certain age and may become aggressive and antsy to be outside once they mature, even if they are used to human interaction. Even with lots of love, they are still wild animals at heart. That being said, they are at a sweet age right now and are quite endearing. Hope you enjoy watching those sweet little peanuts grow up.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

So you could probably put them together now, but you'd have to separate them later so that they don't breed, so I'd just never put them together to begin with. Kinder to the sqs.

Sqs are terrible pets for all manner of reasons from destruction of everything you have, to needing lots of out of cage time and supervision/interaction, but maybe the biggest issue is diet. What are you feeding them and plan to feed them when older?