Thread: help --

cathyb Guest

Default help --

I have had a flying squirrel for 1.5 years. tonight i thought she had gotten loose in the house and caught her and put her back in the cage. It wasnt her! Now there are 2 flying squirrels in the cage and they are both very nervous and running about wildly. and squeeking and kind of nipping at each other. Will they kill each other. I dont know what to do or how to get the new one out. I could let them both loose but am afraid that mine wont make it in the wild. please give me advise.
    cathy

Default Re: help --

Cathy, I would put the cage outdoors as soon as you can and open the door....even if both fliers go out, I'm willing to bet that yours will stay around the source she knows to be her home and where she gets her food. I don't know flying squirrel behavior as well as I know greys, but two strange greys in a cage is a VERY bad idea, so I would get these two away from each other before someone gets seriously hurt. Good luck!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Catch one by throwing a towel over it and put it in a seperate cage. Observe their behavior for a day or so or until you know for sure which one is yours then let the other go. If you have had the one for a year and a half there should be a big difference in temperment. One will run from you and the other will be tame. I don't have fliers either but I agree with greys it is a bad idea (except with Tilty and Little Fart )

Is your girl in heat ??? Maybe that's why another flyer got in...looking for some lovins .
    If you can handle your girl then you should have no trouble figuring out which is the stranger.......good idea from squirrelfriend about seperate cages.
    It's amazing the stranger didn't bite the crap out of you. I figured you showed no fear when handeling the stranger because you thought it was your kid!!! Maybe that's why it didn't bite
    Keep us posted this is very interesting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Sexing them may be another way to tell them apart. If you know what yours is and the other is the opposite then mystery solved. I am guessing the one you caught is probably a young one or it very well should have fought like a tiger when you picked it up. Good luck and I hope you are able to tell them apart quickly and get the other one back out to the world. Stacey

That's pretty strange! If your girl is in heat and you put a male in there, guess what will happen!

Since we havent heard from cathyb we can't assume her squirrel is in heat. It was just a question I asked. Why else would a strange flyer enter a strange home.
    We won't know anthing until we hear from cathyb....waiting to hear from cathyb...Oh cathy!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Cathy, they aren't likely to kill each other, although there will be some squabbling. By morning they may be best friends! The new one may have heard yours chirping and come in to check it out - flyers are very curious! They are also very social, and usually are found in groups, except for mommas with babies - they will keep all other flyers away from their nest.

The idea of putting them into separate cages is probably your best bet, if you can manage it.

After you get your visitor released, put a feeder out in your yard and the wild flyers will probably keep you very entertained in the evenings! You can't imagine how envious lots of people are (including me) that you have a colony of wild flyers.....they are magical to see in the wild.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

cathyb we need an update. Lots of good advice here, please let us know what is happening

ravenlaws32 Guest

seems like alitle bit of " fuzzy love in da house " sorry i had to say that. i have had a bad week and it made me smile.

hmm what was that song , im too sexy for my cage , my cage , .....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.