Thread: scented wax cubes

Default scented wax cubes

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or not? But my 17 week old squirrel got into some melted scented wax just now while at my mom's house. He isn't burned or in pain, but he has the melted wax on his fur. Is this stuff toxic for him? I am so afraid, since I am having a hard time getting it all off of him. It is just on one front paw and a little on his chest fur. I am so scared this stuff will hurt him. TIA for your help. If this is the wrong thread to post in, I apologize, just so worried about it being toxic.

Default Re: scented wax cubes

Did he ingest any? Was it strongly scented? I know some sqs have gotten chemical burns from those oil diffusers. He'll probably be fine, but just wanted to get back to you.

I have to go but others will help.

Not that I am aware of, but he is trying to get it off his fur. She said she replaced the wax last night in it. He doesn't seem to be burned or in pain. His skin doesn't seem to be irritated, I am just worried if the wax is toxic because he is licking it to try and get it off Thank you for getting back with me, I am terrified!

Usually ice will harden the wax so maybe you can pick it off. This will pull his fur to, so you have to be careful. Your squirrel may be too upset now for you to be near him to do this, do you have rescue remedy for humans?

Thank you, I am using a fine toothed flea comb to get as much as I can off. But there is still quite a bit left. My concern is, is if the remaining wax is toxic for him. I can't find anything concerning this on the internet. He is letting me comb him, so he is not upset with me and lets me handle him with no problems. I will try the ice and keep combing it out. I did have a cat get into some once, which is why I quit using them at home, and she was fine and had no issues. Thanks so much for your help, and I will try the ice

I know that most scented wax candles use a non toxic scent, in case children ingest them. You should be ok, but if you give me the brand name of the candle, I will try to find out what formula they use.

EDIT- (reason, I forgot to add) If you use the Ice, get the wax hard and then just crush it between your fingers and it should come off.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you, I have been searching and can't find anything about the toxicity of them. It is the Better Homes and Garden brand sold at Walmart.

Ok, I have confirmed that most likely there are no toxic chemicals in those candle (Thank you Poison Control Center) but I did read that eating a lot of wax can cause intestinal blockage. I don't think residue from the candle wax on his fur will constitute a lot of wax, get all of it off the fur that you can, and he will groom the rest and it shouldn't be too much.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you so very much! I can't believe I didn't even think of calling poison control. I did think of the blockage issue, but don't think there is enough to be a big issue since I have got the majority of it off with ice and a fine toothed flea comb. I cannot thank you enough, I have been an absolute wreck worrying about my boy! Thank you thank you thank you for your help!http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/smilies/bty.gif