Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel is pacing like crazy in cage

Default Re: Squirrel is pacing like crazy in cage

Just a thought but if girl squirrels are in heat there like here, that could be the reason for his pacing too. Mine used to get antsy during "crazy season" even when inside, then settled when everyone outside settled.
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

The single best thing you can do for him now is to fix his diet. Henries blocks are the best. Two Henries blocks a day gives him all he really needs (but some greens, vegetables etc should also be given regularly). Nuts, corn, apples, almonds are just treats (like the nutritional equivalent of a person living on potato chips, tasty but very bad for you in the long term).

The good news is that he is not currently showing any symptoms of MBD. He probably has the early stage MBD (some weakening of the bones) but not the paralysis or seizures. So if you fix his diet, he should completely recover and regain his health. Squirrels will hide any weakness or pain, so you will not see any real symptoms until it is very serious (and potentially fatal).

There is a lot of misinformation out there on on the internet so we see this type of diet issue a lot. But luckily, you can change his diet before the real symptoms start!

Farrelli knows a lot of diet issues and what rodent blocks are best so you will be on the right path by following his advice.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelBoy98 View Post
    I forgot to mention I feed him Kaytee rodent block, and lettuce also. But I am located in northwest ohio . The squirrel is about 18 weeks old. I did not realize this was such a bad diet, I will work on fixing it right now.
    Most of us didn't realize until after we raised our first squirrel.
    You would think everything you listed would be good for them since it seems so natural that
    squirrels would eat nuts. However, in the wild
    they eat such a huge variety of natural foods, bugs, bark, flowers etc.. If you really think
    about it, there usually aren't nut trees growing in cities, yet you will see tons of city squirrels.
    (Usually near the parks where people feed them all the junk). They're like kids, who think that
    candy should come first.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12