Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm concerned

bulletsnbait Guest

Default I'm concerned

So, the five little reds I've got were doing pretty good. All growing, and opening eyes, and opening ears and cutting teeth and it's all been good. Until yesterday. Yesterday, the smallest of the 5, who has never eaten as much as the other 4, really dropped on his consumption. He went from eating 2cc's to 1 cc. I'm feeding them every 3 hours from 6am-9pm. Everyone else is doing great, but he's just acting funny. No aspirations have taken place. He has clear breath sounds. Soft stool, but not runny. And he's urinating like normal. I'm just really worried because I know if you don't catch these things early, it can be a very fast spiral downward.

So, I mixed a little sugar and salt in his last feeding, but I'm wondering... should I be mixing the esbilac any particular way to compensate for him? And should I make a water/salt/sugar solution and try to force him to eat? He's still got plenty of energy and when he feels he's had enough, he will NOT let you give him any more.

Suggestions? Help? The other four are doing very well, solid stools, grunting piggies, climbing now (eeks!), running around with tails straight up. Him, he'll run around for a little bit, and then he snuggles up under the blanket to sleep.

Gabe Guest

Default Re: I'm concerned

When they start to cut back on their consumption, I usually cut back on their feedings. My youngest are just starting to open their eyes and are eating 4cc's three times a day and gaining well. I would go to every 5 hours and see how they do.

bulletsnbait Guest

Oh and there's still good elasticity to the skin.

bulletsnbait Guest

Ok. I'll start them on that tomorrow. Should I increase or decrease the concentration of the esbilac?

Gabe Guest

Esbilac should be two parts water, one part powder.
    If he does not act any better tomorrow, appetite wise, I would start him on antibiotics. Is he losing weight, gaining, how well compared to the others?

bulletsnbait Guest

He hasn't gained or lost. About the same. That's what I've been mixing the esbilac as. Almost out of my powder though, but I should be getting a new can any day and worse case, I can run up to the petstore to get some more.

While he's not overly enthusiastic for the syringe, he's a nut when it comes to shredded carrots and applesauce. Maybe he's just wanting to ween? I mix the shredded carrots, rodent block and applesauce with a little pedialyte since he's lapping more than chowing, and he seems to be doing much better.

Gabe Guest

If the weight is maintaining and he is weaning that is normal.
    Mine are eating;
    sweet potato
    broccoli
    pumpkin seeds
    cantaloupe
    apple
    grapes
    good quality dry dog food
    watermelon
    strawberries
    monkey chow
    cheerios
    walnut halves (one per head)
    Their eyes opened 3-4 days ago. I put finger foods in before their eyes open so that they are already gnawing when their eyes open.
    Give a good variety and they should wean fairly soon. They seem to be more independent than gray squirrels.

Why are you adding salt and sugar in the formula????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

bulletsnbait Guest

The reason I was adding salt and sugar to his formula was because he was consuming less of the liquid, so the salt was so that he would retain the water and not become dehydrated as quickly, but not so much that he would bloat, and the sugar was to add calories so that he wouldn't lose weight.

Thanks for the grocery list Gabe! I'll pick up those things tomorrow. I have brocolli in there, applesauce, shredded carrot, and pecan halves.

Now that I've cut them back to 3 feedings, their levels of consumption have increased dramatically. They're up to 4 cc's for the 4, and 2.5 cc's for him, but he's eating more of the carrot and applesauce than the others.

Got that order in today for the esbilac. Major props out to Chris's Squirrels and more!

Gabe Guest

Good work. When they have been on three feedings a day, at 4 cc's per feeding for about a week, cut them back to 2 feedings a day at 5-6 cc's per feeding. Then maintain that until they are eating well. I usually cut out the lunch hand feeding and make sure they have lots of yummies to eat. I like to start and end their day with a full tummy.

bulletsnbait Guest

At about how old can I expect that to happen? Their eyes have been open for nearly a week now (fully open). So, I'm guessing they're about 5 weeks old now

Gabe Guest

You're feeding every 5 hours now. That would be four times a day, no night feedings. In 2-3 days you can go to three times a day. Get lots of goodies cut up into sizes that are too big to fit into their mouths. If they are sleeping all day, not eating the goodies, it is tiime to cut back a feeding.

mommacomet Guest

Question Re: I'm concerned

When feeding the veggies/fruits and such what size pieces do you give. Lily loves carrots, banana and rat food. Waiting for my order of primate bisquits.
    I don't want to give too big or too small of pieces that she could choke.

mommacomet Guest

On the pumpkin seeds are those whole or shelled???

Gabe Guest

Pumpkin seeds are in the shell. If they weren't I would probably eat them myself. You can order them online from Petco, unless you have a store near you. The brand name is "Chuck a Nut".

I cut big enough to hold and big enough so that they cannot get the piece in their mouth and choke. I want them to develop their fine motor skills by learning to pick the pieces up. I'm sure their mother does not cut their food into tiny pieces for them. If the pieces are too small I am always afraid they will suck the whole thing in their mouths and choke.

I get my pumpkin seed from the health food store. They are shelled. However, I have found that my kids won't eat them unless they are introduced to them early. Plus my wild kids turn their noses up at them!!!!
    Ungreatful kids!!!!! What's a mother to do ????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

How is he doing today? I get my pumpkin seeds from the grocery store.

bulletsnbait Guest

He's doing famously. Thanks again. He is a broccoli convert. Loves the little 'trees' I put in there with him. He's the first one to the bowl, and the last one to leave.

Great news!

Abacat Guest

B&B... By chance do you have any pics of those beautiful red babies??? I love all squirrels, but reds have a special spot in my heart (just released my Riley, a red). Glad to hear they are doin' good...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.