Thread: Hair Loss at Base of Tail

Default Hair Loss at Base of Tail

Hi Everyone,

My 2 year old Male Southern Flyer, Stitch, has been having some hair loss at the base of his tail. His vet isn't available until Wednesday, so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what the problem is. His activity level has been completely normal (aka wild and crazy) and he's been eating and drinking water just fine. His droppings look normal as well; brown and round. He isn't having diarrhea, and me touching the bald spots doesn't seem to bother him. The rest of his fur looks completely normal as well.

I use care fresh bedding. I washed his cage and his socks (he loves to sleep in socks) recently, but I noticed slightly hair loss before washing them.

I tried getting him to eat Henry's Hi-protein blocks for flying squirrels, but I couldn't get him to eat them. He gets a veggie mix morning and night. It usually has broccoli and mush rooms, with some peas carrots and corn too. He usually gets a piece of a pecan or walnut at night. His veggies have a vitamin sprinkled on top as well as calcium.

He has a cuttle bone in his cage, but he's not crazy about it. He also has a heat lamp.

One other thing of note, they recently turned on the heat in my apartment building, so the air is pretty dry. Should I use a humidifier for him?

I couldn't get the photo uplaoder to work, so here's a link to an album containing 2 photos of the hair loss, and 2 normal photos I took right after. http://imgur.com/a/eR7Kv
    Last edited by meemee5290; 11-13-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: add photos

Default Re: Hair Loss at Base of Tail

could be over grooming.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Simon's Mommy View Post
    could be over grooming.
    Thank you for answering. Any way I can get him to leave the area alone?

over grooming can be from boredom, I dont know anything about flyers, but why do you have a heat lamp? maybe it is too hot and she has dry skin.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

My apartment is in a pre-war building, so the temperature isn't very consistent. I'll turn the heat lamp off and get some extra play time in with him since he's more than up for it. Thank you for your help!