Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd Behavior

Default Re: Odd Behavior

Yep.. What he said. They just shred stuff while thei chewing teeth come in.

I used this feeding chart and schedule http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/squirrelcare.htm#11. I liked having something I could print off and look at offline and a basic guide. But I fed to the 5-7% body weight . The suggested feed size in this chart seemed high to me. Or maybe I just had small squirrels. I went on the premise that it's better to under fed than over feed. (Bloat or diarrhea )

Once I bought " wild mammal babies " I found its chart to be similar . 6 weekers being fed 4 times a day ( formula) and 7 weekers 3 times a day.

I did not "force " wean but I did eventually take them down to one feeding ( 10/12 weeks) as they were still not terribly interested in solid foods.

They did however enjoy crunching wood and bark and antler.

I assume your keeping them till spring ? I have no idea about overwintering .. But I would not force wean them . I assume that they will give it up by 20 weeks ... But I would try to keep them on formula if your overwintering .
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Someone told me I couldn't release them until they were at least 5 months. We had planned on Keeping them at least until the spring. Is there someone who could help me with overwintering? Thank y'all so much. You all have been so helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcorbitt View Post
    Someone told me I couldn't release them until they were at least 5 months. We had planned on Keeping them at least until the spring. Is there someone who could help me with overwintering? Thank y'all so much. You all have been so helpful.
    They are much to young to be released now (to close to winter) so they should be overwintered and released in the spring. We can help with any questions about overwintering.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Thank you so much. I am so afraid I am going to do something wrong. I just want them to be happy and healthy. I also forgot to ask, I have still feeding at night. Is that OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcorbitt View Post
    Thank you so much. I am so afraid I am going to do something wrong. I just want them to be happy and healthy. I also forgot to ask, I have still feeding at night. Is that OK?
    I guess what I was trying to say was if your overwintering then, when they are older .. Like at 15/16 weeks ... I would still be giving them formula . That calcium is important enough to keep up as long as they will take it if captive ( some with non releasables wish their adults would ) .. Even if over wintering. I have never over wintered yet so ..I only can tell you what I have read here.. It's fine to eventually cut down their formula but if indoors let them have that one or two feelings as older juvies (15-16 weekers) as long as they will take it.

But they are only what 8-10 weeks old ? ( just read back.. They are 6-7 weeks)

Now.. When you say feeding at night? Do you mean middle of the night? I think your squirrels are 8-10 weeks.. If so I would cut out the middle of the night feeding and just feed them 4 or 5 times a day. So you can probably get 6 hours of sleep now . Like I said .. I followed that chart .. So I fed the last feeding about 8 or 9pm and then not again till 7 am. But not everyone does this. And I had already given blocks as soon as their eyes opened.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Yes I have been getting up at night and have been feeding.OK cool thank you for clarifying. I just am confused about how old they are. Their eyes opened the weekend of the 24th? Do their eyes open at 5 weeks? Should I put an updated picture up?

5 weeks is a very reliable date to open. Pics are always encouraged.

I would order the HHB'S as soon as you can. I start putting mine in before their eyes even open. I cut them into smaller pieces, so little squirrel hands can hold them, but I want them to be very familiar with their smell. And, I have even had some nibble on them at this age.

This is really important, and will save you a ton of worry later. If they recognize the HHB's as a food source, and start eating them first. I do not offer anything else, UNTILL they are completely used to eating their block first thing. Just like kids, if you offer them too many choices at first, they are going to eat only their veggies and fruits.

I give my blocks out first thing in the am, and its a batch of little arms reaching for theirs. Now, obviously, once their eyes are open, and they are eating, it is imperative that they get the whole block. ( I only cut mine up before their eyes open, so they become familiar with the smell, and that way I am not wasting them).

If you start them with the block only, you be posting on the board, " help, my squirrels won't eat their blocks!" To me, eating their HHB'S is one of the most important things you can do, to keep your squirrels healthy.

You can buy the blocks pre-made, or, you can buy the whey and vitamins from Henry's, and bake your own. I prefer to bake my own, that way I can control the nuts that go in them. I like to switch the nuts up, to give them some variety. They last a month in the fridge, or 6 months in the freezer. I take out enough for about 5 days at a time, and keep the rest in the freezer. But its important that they be started on blocks asap. I also always keep a handful of Oxbow rat blocks in there at all times, for snacking. But mine all love their HHBs. The HHB'S keep them from getting MBD.

You are doing fine. Your little ones wouldn't have survived without your help. And I know, they are some worrisome little critters. And, when they get older, you can give them a bowl of formula once a day.

But get them some blocks asap.

Name:  IMG_20141105_081658845_HDR.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  1.16 MBName:  IMG_20141105_081749689.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  1.13 MBName:  IMG_20141105_081859302.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  991.6 KBName:  IMG_20141105_082008093_HDR.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  1.16 MB
    The first picture is of my boy Bernie. The second of my sweet girl Ginger. The last two are of my shy girl Lucy. She is the one that had the damage to her leg from the fall out of the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    5 weeks is a very reliable date to open. Pics are always encouraged.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12