Thread: 6 wk baby - Lots of questions! Ear Scab/Itching/Vibactra?

Default 6 wk baby - Lots of questions! Ear Scab/Itching/Vibactra?

Hi guys,

I apologize for all of the questions but I just want to make sure I've got everything right!

Two weeks ago I found an open-eyed baby squirrel who started following me around and was almost purring? at me. He looked as if he was just starting to learn to walk. Due to the fact that it was beginning to get dark and there was a busy road nearby, I waited 20 minutes at somewhat of a distance before deciding it was too dark to leave him. (I live in Florida where it's legal and I plan to release him).

He looks to be about 6 weeks and I've been spoiling him with everything he needs (heating pad, large cage, proper diet, plenty of supervised outside time). I gave him a bath once as a mistake not realizing he could handle it on his own. It's been three days and he still has itching fits from time to time. I'm not sure if his skin is still irritated from the dish soap (not Dawn) or if it's something else. It looks like he injured himself scratching (pictures below). One of his ears is curled up/shorter and thicker feeling than the other. He has a little dark spot on his ear as well. I believe it may be scabbing but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help it. Any advice/experiences on this would be super appreciated.

He also sucks formula from the syringe now without help. Because of this he drinks much too fast and it seems to almost always come out of his nose (even though I'm letting him lay on his belly and the syringe faces upwards towards him). I don't own a humidifier so if I get worried and can't get him to sneeze or get any out by leaning him over, I hold him in a little ball near some steam for a little while. I'm very worried he will get pneumonia. I know a nearby exotic vet that I plan to take him to at some point, but because he doesn't have pneumonia yet I'm not sure how to handle it. Can they give you medication before he even gets it?
    I also found a preventative organic alternative for antibiotics that is said to help with respiratory infections as well. It's called Vibactra and it has all sorts of animals on the package. I'm wondering if anyone can look at the ingredients and give me advice on whether or not it would be safe for him? Has anyone heard of or tried this on a young squirrel?

He also seems to have grown scared of the outdoors and resorts to hiding even when he's taken outside right as he's jumping/climbing around his cage. Will he grow out of this?

Thanks so much everyone :3

(Additional info if helpful: He eats the new pro/prebiotic Esbilac with a little heavy whipping cream for fat. I have a bowl of solid food in his cage with apples, grapes, rodent block, walnuts, carrots, and dried banana chips.)

Name:  10726378_10204149923581550_86654567_n.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  33.9 KB
    Name:  Noah.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  36.3 KB

Default 6 wk baby - Lots of questions! Ear Scab/Itching/Vibactra?

Hi guys,

I apologize for all of the questions but I just want to make sure I've got everything right!

Two weeks ago I found an open-eyed baby squirrel who started following me around and was almost purring? at me. He looked as if he was just starting to learn to walk. Due to the fact that it was beginning to get dark and there was a busy road nearby, I waited 20 minutes at somewhat of a distance before deciding it was too dark to leave him. (I live in Florida where it's legal and I plan to release him).

He looks to be about 6 weeks and I've been spoiling him with everything he needs (heating pad, large cage, proper diet, plenty of supervised outside time). I gave him a bath once as a mistake not realizing he could handle it on his own. It's been three days and he still has itching fits from time to time. I'm not sure if his skin is still irritated from the dish soap (not Dawn) or if it's something else. It looks like he injured himself scratching (pictures below). One of his ears is curled up/shorter and thicker feeling than the other. He has a little dark spot on his ear as well. I believe it may be scabbing but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to help it. Any advice/experiences on this would be super appreciated.

He also sucks formula from the syringe now without help. Because of this he drinks much too fast and it seems to almost always come out of his nose (even though I'm letting him lay on his belly and the syringe faces upwards towards him). I don't own a humidifier so if I get worried and can't get him to sneeze or get any out by leaning him over, I hold him in a little ball near some steam for a little while. I'm very worried he will get pneumonia. I know a nearby exotic vet that I plan to take him to at some point, but because he doesn't have pneumonia yet I'm not sure how to handle it. Can they give you medication before he even gets it?
    I also found a preventative organic alternative for antibiotics that is said to help with respiratory infections as well. It's called Vibactra and it has all sorts of animals on the package. I'm wondering if anyone can look at the ingredients and give me advice on whether or not it would be safe for him? Has anyone heard of or tried this on a young squirrel?

He also seems to have grown scared of the outdoors and resorts to hiding even when he's taken outside right as he's jumping/climbing around his cage. Will he grow out of this?

Thanks so much everyone :3

(Additional info if helpful: He eats the new pro/prebiotic Esbilac with a little heavy whipping cream for fat. I have a bowl of solid food in his cage with apples, grapes, rodent block, walnuts, carrots, and dried banana chips.)

Attachment 245778
    Attachment 245779

Default Re: 6 wk baby - Lots of questions! Ear Scab/Itching/Vibactra?

Your pictures do not show up - can you try again? What you are describing sounds a lot like mange mites - which can be treated - but we need to see.

Eating: You must not allow him to set the flow of formula. That is YOUR job - he will suck it down way too fast as you have seen. Instead of putting a thumb on the end of the syringe and pushing to dispense the formula, you need to wrap your finger around the plunger to control it and prevent him from eating too fast. Don't push - hold it back. Using a 1cc or at the largest, a 3cc syringe will help you to do this too.

I accidentally duplicated this thread, the other thread has the pictures but I will repost them. I do push it back with my thumb in intervals but he still manages to get it out his nose somehow. I suppose it'll just take practice. If I hold it back with my thumb can he still get formula? I just do it periodically so he can still get some.

Name:  10726378_10204149923581550_86654567_n.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  33.9 KB
    Name:  Noah.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  36.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LittleNoah View Post
    Welcome to The Squirrel Board
    I live just north of you in Hillsborough County.

Your question regarding the natural 'antibiotic' ... Sorry I would NOT use this product. We know nothing about this product. It's safety with squirrels has not been established and it's efficacy as an antibiotic has also not been established in my mind. Here's the deal, when baby squirrel get pneumonia they crash hard and they crash fast. Without appropriate treatment, they die very fast. We don't want to experiment to see if a product will work ... we want to use an antibiotic that has proven itself and has a long track record of success. Ciprofloxacin or Baytril have been used for aspiration pneumonia in baby squirrels with excellent results. I would use a proven treatment.

The signs of aspiration pneumonia are lethargy, loss of appetite and clicking when they breath. I would be 'on top' of any of these symptoms. The best way to deal with this is to PREVENT aspiration pneumonia. I would order a few 1ml O-ring syringes and a Miracle nipple from henryspets.com . The Miracle nipple is wonderful. It was designed for squirrels and works great.

As CritterMom said you need to control the rate of flow. Don't let Noah vacuum the formula down. Hold back on the plunger and make him work for it. If it's coming out of his nose, he's going too fast. This is dangerous. In an emergency, I could probably get Cipro to you but you would have to be willing to travel a few miles. I would meet you. Let's avoid this.

Thank you so much for the wonderful response! That's such a relief to know. I'm always listening to him and now that I've seen a video of what the clicking sounds like I'm definitely looking out for that sound and any symptoms. The miracle nipple sounds like a great idea! I just have a cheap one and that may help. I'm getting used to making him work for it. It's overwhelming at first when they always act so excited during every formula meal! Again, thanks so much. I'll keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating slower

ALSO!!! Watch the video in the first post here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

People want to lay them on their backs to eat like an infant human, and it is the exact opposite of what you should do. The syringe should always be pointing up toward the roof of the mouth, and the squirrel held either upright or on it's belly. This way, gravity helps any excess milk flow out of the mouth instead of down into the lungs.

Can you get some clearer pics of the ears and other places you are seeing skin problems?

What kind of rodent block? At this age, he should only get formula and blocks.

You should control the plunger with your finger, preventing him from sucking too fast.

Outside time? He should never be allowed outside if he's not in a cage. Never. So many horror stories.

Did you rinse him thoroughly?

My post from the other thread:

What kind of rodent block? At this age, he should only get formula and blocks.

You should control the plunger with your finger, preventing him from sucking too fast.

Outside time? He should never be allowed outside if he's not in a cage. Never. So many horror stories.

Did you rinse him thoroughly?

I believe the brand of rodent block is Kaytee.
    I have been controlling the plunger and getting used to it as well, thanks.

I rinsed him throughly in warm water but the only effect of his scratching so far has just been his ear. It's hard to take pictures as it doesn't even look like a wound anymore. The ear is folded and thicker feeling than his softer upright ear, perhaps from dried blood if he scratched it too hard?

Also his outside time is merely him nuzzled in my jacket (by his own choice). I always look for birds but he is never without me hovering over him regardless. Hopefully this may still be alright? I heard squirrels who don't get sunlight become depressed.

Thanks so much for the response (:

Kaytee, is an "in a pinch" block. Not high quality and apparently also contains a carcinogen. Oxbow and Harlan Teklad are cheaper blocks that are of reasonable quality, but Henry's are best. One bag lasts and adult a month. Some people on a budget will give just one block instead of two and supplement it with the cheaper blocks, thus making a bag last two months - keep in freezer. Some people will also buy the vitamin pack from Henry's and make their own blocks using recipes found here, in order to save money.

Everyone here STRONGLY recommends against outside time without a cage. It's gone wrong so many times. He gets spooked, jumps down, runs up a tree, and you'll never get him back. Happened many times. The importance of sunlight is debated. Most feel that it's not important if a proper diet is given. Those who feel that it's important provide caged outside time or buy a full spectrum sun lamp. If you do a search, you'll find the recommended types.

Makes sense! I'll keep both the blocks and outside time in mind. I agree completely. Thank you

Default Update: Ear concerns

Name:  10726421_10204152244759578_1421502718_n.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  63.0 KB

I tried to take a look at his ear again and one ear is thicker feeling and shorter, as if it had been nipped off. It doesn't look like a wound really, but the end edges of the thicker ear are dark. Could he have done this to himself? Past pictures show his ears were normal until recently.