Thread: New grey squirrel mom and LOVING it!

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Talking New grey squirrel mom and LOVING it!

Felix was born on 8/18/14 from my calculations and delivered to me by a concerned coworker about 2 weeks later. After some getting used to the idea of feeding him constantly, we bonded well and he's my little buddy! I have a desk job so they definitely don't mind me bringing him to work with me every day so he pretty much goes everywhere with me now. He had a bout with inhaling his formula a couple weeks in, but after some meds from the Doc (vet), he's good as new and was gaining weight by leaps and bounds, yay!

However, I'm stumped on a couple things that i hope someone here can help me with...

1. He turned 8 weeks yesterday the 13th and he is (what looks to be) a healthy 125g (4.4oz). However, the SquirrelRefuge.org feeding charts say that he should be 240g (8.4oz) by 8 weeks. Do I have something backwards or is there a way to put some meat on him faster without losing ground with the rodent blocks he's finally starting to notice? He's still on Henry's formula 7cc/4 hrs-8 hrs overnight. Every time I bump it up, he gets the runs though. Also, I can't get him to touch water in a dish or especially from a cage bottle...any suggestions?

2. He hasn't shown much interest in the wood blocks or lava stones I've given him to chew on to file his teeth and the elk antlers i ordered aren't here yet. I was wondering if it was Ok to give him a natural hoof dog chew? I don't know what animal it is exactly, but looks like pig probably?

Thanks in advance for the help and all that I've learned already on here! Name:  20140909_210953.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  145.6 KBName:  Felix work 10.14.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  73.5 KB

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Default Re: New grey squirrel mom and LOVING it!

The top pic is Felix the 1st day at 2 weeks old and the bottom pic is him yesterday at 8 weeks.

Can you clarify what "Henry's formula" is exactly?

Were you giving probiotics while he was on his meds (I am assuming antibiotics)?

He does look smallish for 8 weeks old.

PS He is a cutie!

Yes, diet is very important. Please tell us about what you are currently feeing him.
    I agree with Spanky though - little Felix is such a cutie!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Your baby is precious. Welcome to TSB. Everyone here is helpful and knowledgeable. You've come to a good place.

Are you feeding 5-7% of body weight every 4hrs or so? And what formula?

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Can you clarify what "Henry's formula" is exactly?

Were you giving probiotics while he was on his meds (I am assuming antibiotics)?

He does look smallish for 8 weeks old.

PS He is a cutie!
    He's on Fox Valley DAY ONE 20/50 Formula. 7cc's every 4-5 hours, plus rodent blocks free feed, though he's not that interested in them.
    He was on Baytril 0.1cc twice a day for the pneumonia, but that's all gone (both meds and pneumonia). I only gave him Pedialyte while on the meds since he was having the runs at that time. He's currently on no other special vitamins or medicine or anything but the formula and blocks. I really appreciate the help

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Are you feeding 5-7% of body weight every 4hrs or so? And what formula?
    7cc's (weight 4.4oz) every 4-5 hours and free feed rodent blocks...when he feels like eating them. Fox Valley DAY ONE 20/50 Formula.

Sorry for the lack of replies. You're in a low traffic area. Keep asking important questions that aren't answered.

He's a bit young for full interest in blocks. What kind? Here are the gold standard that most people here use:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Have you seen the healthy adult diet thread?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Don;t know about the hoof stuff. I'd avoid it.

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Sorry for the lack of replies. You're in a low traffic area. Keep asking important questions that aren't answered.

He's a bit young for full interest in blocks. What kind? Here are the gold standard that most people here use:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Have you seen the healthy adult diet thread?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Don;t know about the hoof stuff. I'd avoid it.
    I appreciate any answers I do get. Yes, it's the Henry's blocks that I have on order for him now, but I meant he was just on the Wal-mart rat blocks. Those are the ones he started out liking but now doesn't. I sure hope he likes the Henry's ones better when they arrive in a couple days.

Tell us if not. He MUST eat them, and we have tips.

When the Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB) come you'll want to store them in the freezer and keep just a few in the fridge. Or even warm the frozen ones in the microwave.

It's best to get him used to eating the blocks first... they are like a teenagers, if they have junk funk as an option they'll eat it but if only the healthy stuff is all that is available they will eat it when they are hungry enough. And he'll learn to love it if he does not take tight to it. Resist the urge to give him something else because he turns his nose up... he will not let himself starve!

I agree about "just say no" to the animal hide/ear/hoof chews. Grab a safe tree branch from the yard!

Do you plan on releasing the baby? If yes, what region are you located?

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Tell us if not. He MUST eat them, and we have tips.
    The baby squirrel blocks from Henry's Healthy Pets came in a couple days ago and he's chowing down! Yay!

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    When the Henry's Healthy Blocks (HHB) come you'll want to store them in the freezer and keep just a few in the fridge. Or even warm the frozen ones in the microwave.

It's best to get him used to eating the blocks first... they are like a teenagers, if they have junk funk as an option they'll eat it but if only the healthy stuff is all that is available they will eat it when they are hungry enough. And he'll learn to love it if he does not take tight to it. Resist the urge to give him something else because he turns his nose up... he will not let himself starve!

I agree about "just say no" to the animal hide/ear/hoof chews. Grab a safe tree branch from the yard!

Do you plan on releasing the baby? If yes, what region are you located?
    I've read about avoiding the treats until he's on the blocks well and that's what I'm doing. Yes, I've found several yard tree branches for him and he's a climbing fool hehe! No, i really don't want to release him but if I do, hopefully he'll stay in my yard and surrounding woods. Thanks for all your help!

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Just wanted to post that Felix is 100% better and has just weened himself off the milk and onto the rodent blocks full time. He's doubled in weight and is a happy, healthy BIG boy!

ta2dgoldfish Guest

Name:  CAM01402.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  183.9 KB A friend holding him.
    Name:  CAM01308.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1,015.1 KB Felix [left] & Polly

sid'smommy Guest

YIKES! Please get some warm fleece in that blue box before Nancy in New York sends the fleece police to your door! LOL

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.