Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirt

Default Re: Squirt

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyqsis View Post
    K, I think you mean, leave him locked up for a time, then release and then put a small opening for him after.

Ya, I read about the nest boxes and the guards. We built Squirt's nest box to specs we found on orphanedwildlifecare.com because we were planning on releasing him in the fall. His box has a "bedroom" at the back and a front hallway that is supposed to act like a "predetor baffle". My hubby is so sweet that he put shingles on it too! I know that he does keep food in there...
    http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/squirrelcare.htm

Way down the page on this link there is a link to a word doc that has the specs that we used.
    If you had time, I'd love to hear what you think.
    Yeah, I think that plan looks like it will work ok to keep predators out. We found just normal nest box plans online and had to add on our guard later. Much better to be prepared on the front end.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Yeah, I think that plan looks like it will work ok to keep predators out. We found just normal nest box plans online and had to add on our guard later. Much better to be prepared on the front end.

Thanks for looking at the plans! I'm sorry i have more questions for you...
    1. I don't quite understand when to put the small entrance at the top of the release cage. After the 2-4 weeks of acclimating?
    2. What is the stuff you use to put in Lenny's house that is safe for bedding in the wild? Where do I get it etc?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  791.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  619.4 KB

Thought I'd start to post some pics! I love looking at his baby pics.
    First two are...first day and then first day eyes open August 2014.

Eating like a good boy
Views: 33
Size:  687.5 KB
    Last feeding befor mommy goes to work
Views: 28
Size:  400.7 KB
    Sleeping under my favourite squirrel stuffy
Size:  612.1 KB

Inside the house that daddy built
Views: 26
Size:  690.1 KB
    Other view inside
Views: 25
Size:  630.4 KB
    First time in release cage
Views: 31
Size:  108.7 KB
    Really cool picture mommy found of Dr. Who squirrel feeder that maybe people were using for birds but it would be better for squirrelsName:  image.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  1,021.0 KB
    Couldn't see this one in the attachment window....
Size:  740.4 KB

Views: 27
Size:  848.9 KB
    Last picture on the ipad.
    So much fun!

April 11, 2014 was Squirt's first day out. He was so shy! He didn't come out of his nesting house ALL day! Worried mama but after a night out, he was enjoying the sunshine the next morning!
    Name:  Squirt first day out.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  154.2 KB

A couple nights later when we came home from work Daddy couldn't resist a visit. He told me later that he gave him a couple almonds and some sun flower seeds.
    Name:  daddy sneaking nuts.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  160.6 KB

This morning Squirt was really really restless when I went to feed him. He turned down a piece of avocado for the first time ever and was going from side to side of his cage, biting at the wood and generally looking unhappy.

We are going to open up his small door this weekend and let him come and go.

Sooooo excited!

We built the tree "house" for our little one who is 12 now and he NEVER goes in it. My husband and I now jokingly call it the "squirrel deck" we built.

One of the 4 wilds that come through our yard often was sitting up there the other day, like he was keeping Squirt company....we shall see!

Well no one else seems to be reading my thread (cause I don't see any replies) but then I was reading another thread with questions about release and I saw that someone referred them to this thread. So encouraged....I thought I'd share, even if it is only with me.

2015-04-11
    I put his release cage (RC) out. He was really shy and stayed inside his nest house even though it was beautiful weather. So I brought him in that night.
    Name:  RC Out.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  160.6 KB

2015-04-12
    I put his RC out in the morning and noticed the "ride" out was traumatic. He stayed in nest most of the day so I decided to leave the RC out that night to avoid the ride out on the two wheel cart.
    Name:  stayed in.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  102.9 KB

2015-04-13
    The next morning he seemed fine running around eating the next day which validated my decision in leaving him out. The rest of the week he was very active and then towards Friday he seemed restless and running back and forth in cage. We had wild visitors all week. 4 greys definitely 2 really young. I'm calling them "stripped tail" "ratty tail" and his brother "ratty tail" (they are identical) and then there was "beauty".
    Name:  seems fine.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  119.8 KB

Sooooooo
    2015-04-17
    In the evening at 6pm I opened a small door at the top of the cage
    Name:  showed him opening.jpg
Size:  119.9 KB
    and showed it to him.
    Name:  showed him opening.jpg
Size:  119.9 KB
    In no time he was out and about in tree! So much fun!
    Name:  in the tree.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  143.6 KB

More later

Name:  comin ou.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  142.9 KB
    better pic of him coming out

Great pics and updates! Sometimes there are so many open threads that I miss out on some good ones! Squirt looks very happy and healthy.

I like your TARDIS squirrel feeder!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Found a better picture of him exploring and decided to copy in the rest of the release journal.
    Name:  exploring.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  151.8 KB

2015-04-20
    In the morning I thought he was gonna jump off the tree to me. I went to the ladder of the "squirrel deck" and he took his avocado. Then he came to me and crawled up my leg and back...he refused more avacado and started to purr. I think he wanted a nut but I didn't have any with me and I want him to eat his block!

In the evening we had wild visitors and Squirt didn't seem to know what to do. My hubby observed him keep his distance and do some chasing around the tree but he was definitely shy.

When I got home I swear you could see the excitement on his face and he ran to me and climbed all over me, purring and discovering mama. We hadn't had a full on cuddle all winter, only hand touching and petting. These pictures are on the big camera and not as easy to get to the thread...but I will.

2015-04-21
    I Didn't see him in the morning. I left avocado and his other veggies and a new boo ball. I noticed he wasn't eating his block so I tried the boo ball recipe that Lennysmom told someone about. Crushed block, apple sauce and peanut butter to a consistency that you can roll it into a ball. We were away out this evening and when we were home to late to see him.

3015-04-22
    6:18 am Hubby saw Squirt. He is sure cause he was on the fence this morning then he jumped on the metal shed roof and watched Bailey (our gentle dog) walk around the shed following from the roof. And when Bailey stopped so did the squirrel and they just stared at one another. Fingers crossed he is developing caution to dogs.

6:50am
    I went out without my glasses but two squirrels came out of the tree and ran along the wire. Neither squirt (ratty tail and his brother ratty tail) and he did not come out to see me. The "boo ball" was gone that I left for him yesterday. So I haven't seen him since Monday night. Looks like he is inside his house, the curtains are pulled....maybe laying in.

8:10am
    As I was getting my shoes on I saw two squirrels in the tree. I couldn't tell if one was Squirt so I took an almond in my hand and went out to the tree. 3 or 4 maybe 5 squirrels ran out of the tree on to the nearest evergreen behind the shed. I think one was Squirt....they seemed to hesitate a little and look at me but they were off chasing and running. The avocado and 2 walnuts were still in his cage.

Mama was sad to miss interaction but very very happy to see him playing with his new mates. And now I sit here at work wondering how he is doing and if I'll see him tonight.

As I was getting my shoes on I saw two squirrels in the tree. I couldn't tell if one

Annabelle's papa Guest

Hi Curlyqsis, the tree house does serve a great purpose in providing Squirt with additional protection while He is becoming accustomed to the wild, I certainly feel that it provides Him with extra security and peace of mind.

Please don't feel looked over with your recent postings, the activity on the Board has definitely doubled over the last two weeks. I find that after I reply to someone's post and return to the activity stream, a dozen new posts have appeared.

On one hand it can be a bit frustrating, although it is quite inspiring to see everyone progressively sharing and participating at such a high volume.

PS isn't the new picture format wonderful.

Looks like he is having fun! Hope he comes back to visit often!

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle's papa View Post
    Hi Curlyqsis, the tree house does serve a great purpose in providing Squirt with additional protection while He is becoming accustomed to the wild, I certainly feel that it provides Him with extra security and peace of mind.

Please don't feel looked over with your recent postings, the activity on the Board has definitely doubled over the last two weeks. I find that after I reply to someone's post and return to the activity stream, a dozen new posts have appeared.

On one hand it can be a bit frustrating, although it is quite inspiring to see everyone progressively sharing and participating at such a high volume.

PS isn't the new picture format wonderful.
    Thanks for replying! It is good to hear from someone. And I know you are all busy. So I didn't take it personally. I do like the new picture format!

Quote Originally Posted by megatronisabeast View Post
    Looks like he is having fun! Hope he comes back to visit often!
    He is having sooooo much fun! I got to see him tonight.

When I got home from work, he was in the tree. I took out a treat and he took it and promtly went and hid it in the neighbours yard. Then he came back and all he wanted was to play with mama. He bites my hands without every leaving a mark. Its a little scary and I can only take it for so long, but he seems to like it.

It's cold here tonight. They are talking about snow! Ugh. But he has his nesting house, so he should be fine. I have to let go....wild squirrel, wild squirrel, wild squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyqsis View Post
    He is having sooooo much fun! I got to see him tonight.

When I got home from work, he was in the tree. I took out a treat and he took it and promtly went and hid it in the neighbours yard. Then he came back and all he wanted was to play with mama. He bites my hands without every leaving a mark. Its a little scary and I can only take it for so long, but he seems to like it.

It's cold here tonight. They are talking about snow! Ugh. But he has his nesting house, so he should be fine. I have to let go....wild squirrel, wild squirrel, wild squirrel.
    I think the squirrels in my yard enjoy burying the nuts as much as they enjoy eating them! I love watching them dig up the dirt, bury the food and then cover it back up. Thought about asking them to help plant some grass seeds for me!

Quote Originally Posted by megatronisabeast View Post
    I think the squirrels in my yard enjoy burying the nuts as much as they enjoy eating them! I love watching them dig up the dirt, bury the food and then cover it back up. Thought about asking them to help plant some grass seeds for me!
    For sure! I love watching birds and only since getting to know Squirt have I realized how much fun it is to watch the squirrels. Thanks again for posting, it is so encouraging to interact.

I love all your updates and pictures - so sorry I missed your questions when you were building the nest box Curlyqsis.
    I have been so busy here lately I don't feel like I've had time to turn my head twice! Looks like your little guy is loving his new found freedom. You did a good job on the cage and the box, and I too love the Tardis feeder.
    Congrats on a successful release!
    Hope your little guy becomes a regular visitor.

Oh, and I quite love all of your baby pics of him - such a cutie!
    I look forward to seeing more update and pics.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast