Thread: General Questions - first timer

Default General Questions - first timer

I've been posting under the subject Release and got some great advice. I am ready to start a 2 week soft release for at least 3 of my 6 squirrels.

Just looking for some extra advice.

A couple more questions. It's warm here so I think they will be ok to release in the winter.

Yes I can provide food and water for them throughout the winter.
    Yes I am at least a couple of hours from fort bragg. We are still in the 70s and 80's during the day and 60's and 70's at night.

But how or where do I provide food and water and a nest box. (so that they are safe from dogs/cats/people.... (NEST BOX?) In the cage outside? I am not found of heights so I don't plan on climbing any trees.

I AM worried about sleepy. Releasing him anyway. He seems to be ok, just SLOWER and SMALLER then the other 3 he is with. He sleeps more, they play. He's eating and drinking though. Not as good a climber as the other ones.

SO - Sleepy is in a cage with 3 others. The other 3 are ready to be released. (Meany, Bity, and Friendly).

(the 2 younger ones, Stuby and Skinny will not be ready to be released for at least 6 weeks).

So - what do I do with Sleepy? If I release the 3, he'll be all by himself (unless I can get him to be friends with the younger ones????).

Not sure how squirrels interact....

If I release him I fear with in a day or 2 he will be taken by a predator.....

Thoughts...

Default Re: General Questions - first timer