Does anyone have any I could have?

Chryso started diarrheal again .

It's him and only him once again.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Default Re: Baycox needed

Sorry to hear your little guy has diarrhea again. Sent you a PM.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Thank you.
    Stephanie Carlson

I think I remember that you had a long going battle with the diarrhea?

If so, wondered if you have tried Dia-Stat, made by Fox Valley? For me, it has worked wonders. Plus, its full of good stuff, and my Vet thoroughly approved it.

Good luck.

I have not tried it yet. I thought he was in the clear. He had been well since just before 9/21 ( when the meds stopped ) He had been firm for a few days before that.

Wish I had ordered some when I got his HHB.
    Stephanie Carlson

Lenny's mom sent me Baycox and diastat.. Just waiting on confirmation of dose to begin. Poor guy was good for his bath but... He was not thrilled.
    Stephanie Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Lenny's mom sent me Baycox and diastat.. Just waiting on confirmation of dose to begin. Poor guy was good for his bath but... He was not thrilled.
    Yep, mine didn't like the frequent baths either. Use the chart I sent and if they are inbetween weight, you can use the lower dose. Mine gained weight in the course of treatment, but I kept the dosage the same as it wasn't enough to make a huge difference.
    Hope between the Baycox and the Diastat, it clears up soon!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Default White poop Re: Baycox needed

So.. Yesterday was his third dose of Baycox .. The first dose took it to paste. Second took it to formed paste..
    Third we had formed normal but soft ( would smear if steped in)

This morning... I go to put him in with his siblings and.....We had something that resembles bird crap. White paste. Very odd smell this am. I remember Lenny's mom saying that the Baycox changed the smell.

Could he just be lactose intolerant at this point? My trainer wants me to take him off formula. I am hesitant to do that

Only new food was HHB for baby's - also his regular katee block.. Cherrios and rice chex. Hesitant to add anything else as he has had such a rough time with diarrhea . ( first presented around August 14 - has had flagyl - albon- SMZ - now Baycox )

11.5 weeks aprox 170 grams

Fv 20/50 9 cc one time a day

Side note... The formula I gave him last night was super fresh.. I had run out and forgot to make.. ( my washer broke too and my dog is getting better but still on cage rest etc meds and etc .. So I know I screwed up but it was fresh formula or nothing ... Should I have just skipped it with him? ) So it only sat an hour or two... Could that have been the cause of the white poo?

His four siblings are fine .. He is seperated again .. So as to not contaminate them and so his food can be controlled as they are eating nearly everything offered.
    Stephanie Carlson

Default Re: White poop Re: Baycox needed

So.. Yesterday was his third dose of Baycox .. The first dose took it to paste. Second took it to formed paste..
    Third we had formed normal but soft ( would smear if steped in)

This morning... I go to put him in with his siblings and.....We had something that resembles bird crap. White paste. Very odd smell this am. I remember Lenny's mom saying that the Baycox changed the smell.

Could he just be lactose intolerant at this point? My trainer wants me to take him off formula. I am hesitant to do that

Only new food was HHB for baby's - also his regular katee block.. Cherrios and rice chex. Hesitant to add anything else as he has had such a rough time with diarrhea . ( first presented around August 14 - has had flagyl - albon- SMZ - now Baycox )

11.5 weeks aprox 170 grams

Fv 20/50 9 cc one time a day

Side note... The formula I gave him last night was super fresh.. I had run out and forgot to make.. ( my washer broke too and my dog is getting better but still on cage rest etc meds and etc .. So I know I screwed up but it was fresh formula or nothing ... Should I have just skipped it with him? ) So it only sat an hour or two... Could that have been the cause of the white poo?

His four siblings are fine .. He is seperated again .. So as to not contaminate them and so his food can be controlled as they are eating nearly everything offered.
    I wouldn't think the fresh formula would cause that. I occasionally have to give my babies freshly mixed formula when I have to make formula on my lunch break. I hate to hear that you are still having poo issues with your little guy.
    Yes, the Baycox gave the poo a weird smell, but I didn't have any white poop, so I'm not sure what that is about.
    Prayers that the issue is resolved soon.

Edit : you mentioned lactose intolerance - are you putting whipping cream in the formula? That was the first thing I did was cut out adding cream in the formula once my littles started the diarrhea.

Default Re: White poop Re: Baycox needed

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post

Edit : you mentioned lactose intolerance - are you putting whipping cream in the formula? That was the first thing I did was cut out adding cream in the formula once my littles started the diarrhea.
    No. Nothing but the FV 20/50 . The vet sent a host Of other meds.. Panacur being one of them ( also more flagyl and more SMZ ) but I was hoping the Baycox would be the grand finale .

I am seriously thinking about treating him with the panacur too. Maybe he has both Coccidia and giardia ? But I would have thought hat the strongid they had him on and the first round of flagyl would have taken care of all the other critters in his gut that the fecal floats can't. Find.

Forgot to mention he is on Benebac . No poops for a few hours.. Maybe it was just a fluke or die off or something .?
    Stephanie Carlson

My babies were treated with both Baycox and Panacur, but not at the same time as I never received a clear answer as to whether that was ok or not.

How many days did you wait in between them?

We are back to toothpaste brown.

Maybe I am just being impatient ?
    Stephanie Carlson

How many days did you wait in between them?

We are back to toothpaste brown.

Maybe I am just being impatient ?
    Are you feeding the Diastat for every other feeding? That really helped me get the poop back to a normal consistency. I'm not sure if there is a specific time frame to wait between meds, but I waited at least 24 hours in between dosing the two meds.

Are you feeding the Diastat for every other feeding? That really helped me get the poop back to a normal consistency. I'm not sure if there is a specific time frame to wait between meds, but I waited at least 24 hours in between dosing the two meds.
    The meds had firmed it up ( from goo to toothpaste ) at first rather quickly ( he was back on SMZ for a few days while waiting for the baycox ) So I had not needed it yet.

I think tonight I will give him that instead of his formula. And see if that helps .

I wonder how long the baycox usually takes?
    Stephanie Carlson

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...04#post1049904

Back to the drawing board?

And my washing machine died
    Stephanie Carlson

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...04#post1049904

Back to the drawing board?

And my washing machine died
    No no, how frustrating!! I was afraid all the extra laundry I had would do my washer in too, but thankfully not.
    So, is he eating his poo now?!?!

No no, how frustrating!! I was afraid all the extra laundry I had would do my washer in too, but thankfully not.
    So, is he eating his poo now?!?!
    Yes. He is eating off the fleece , off the wall of the cage and off his bum
    Stephanie Carlson

Yes. He is eating off the fleece , off the wall of the cage and off his bum
    Oh no!
    Yes, please try the Diastat - maybe it will stop the diarrhea altogether and he won't be tempted to eat it...

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Animals eating their own feces is not normal. In my experience, it usually means a nutritional deficiency or starvation.

Cheerios and rice chex are just empty carbs and personally, I'd never feed them to a squirrel.

Kaytee stinks like rancid cardboard and looks like it too, even makes their poop stink. (maybe he thinks his poop is food cause it smells like Kaytee) -- just a thought

I don't understand why people are forever trying to do things the hard way. Read the Healthy Diet, and Feed the Healthy Diet the way it's written. It's really that easy. No reason to add this, twist that, and everything else people insist on doing.

Personally, at 11-12 weeks old still having issues with poop and being so underweight I'd drop the formula asap and get him onto solids. Make sure he's drinking water on his own, if he's not syringe it to him. PLAIN WATER (nothing added, nothing extra, nothing but plain water)

Sorry if this sounds curt, but this is getting freaking ridiculous.

EDIT: I think part of your issues are coming from your mentor. You need to make a decision; do it the way of your Mentor or do it the TSB way. Mixing the two and doing a bit of this and a bit of that is clearly not working.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Animals eating their own feces is not normal. In my experience, it usually means a nutritional deficiency or starvation.
    Well at least this is something. Yes. Totally agree that this is not normal. And your right.. it can be a sign of one of the above. And I have asked TSB on how to get him to grow better.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...elp&highlight= And I did as you said.. and got him the HHB AND in the mean time .. he got the RUNS AGAIN. He did not get them from the HHB I am not blaming you. But look at the date.. 9/27 by 10/1 he had the bloody runs again.

HOWEVER, if you had read the details of my posts you would note that he only ever did this corprophagia while on medication. He did it when he was on the albon flagyl combo. At 6 weeks old. ( keep in mind he has had bowel issues since he was 3-4 weeks when I got him.) Long before he got a cherrio or a chex.

I did what you guys told me to do - I got meds. AND took him to the vet for a fecal and an exam.

It fixed his siblings up. ( four females) It did not fix him. TSB said MEDS AGAIN ( Which I think is totally logical and right )

So I got him more meds from my vet. That fixed him up for a short time.. . It was during this time I gave him the cherrios and rice chex.. The later being a recommendation of TSB. To help firm him up. I mean we are talking aprox dates of 9/15. And he was too weak to eat a rice chex. He was dying at that time.. I had to give him the rice via syringe . But then he got the SMZ That round of meds helped him . He was on them for 12 days. He did not stop having the runs till he was on day 7 of this medication. SMZTMP and steriods. Eventually he could sit up long enough to hold the rice chex himself. That was the FIRST TIME HE HAD NOT HAD THE RUNS IN OVER ONE MONTH...IT DID NOT clear up till he was about 9-10 weeks old . OVER 24 days of medication !

And now PER TSB.. BAYCOX.. which has not fixed him yet.. Maybe its not enough time? I dunno. Thats why I am here asking for help again. How long does the baycox take?

Cheerios and rice chex are just empty carbs and personally, I'd never feed them to a squirrel.
    Kaytee stinks like rancid cardboard and looks like it too, even makes their poop stink. (maybe he thinks his poop is food cause it smells like Kaytee) -- just a thought
    Could Be. I suggested this last time he had Coprophagia while he was on Flagyl Albon combo.. His poo was coming out smelling just like the formula at that time. So maybe.. but it Has not given his sisters stinky poos though. Nor were his stinky when he was well for two weeks. But I have been feeding the HHB since Saturday per our discussion on the growth thread. And frankly.. had he not been so dam sick I would have never given him a rice chex to begin with. Plus he could not even HOLD a block.. Kaytee or HHB.. at the age of 8 /9 weeks due to this illness..

I don't understand why people are forever trying to do things the hard way. Read the Healthy Diet, and Feed the Healthy Diet the way it's written. It's really that easy. No reason to add this, twist that, and everything else people insist on doing.
    So.. Again .. he has had the runs and soft stool for 6 weeks out of his 11. I have read the healthy diet and have used it with the other 8 squirrels ( With Katee block being the exception ) I am also under the impression that your supposed to introduce foods and watch for digestive upset. How am I supposed to do that when he constantly has the runs and soft stool? I do not enjoy keeping him separated from his siblings nor cleaning his cage . I do not want him sick. I want him healthy and in the cage with his sisters eating the other foods.

Personally, at 11-12 weeks old still having issues with poop and being so underweight I'd drop the formula asap and get him onto solids. Make sure he's drinking water on his own, if he's not syringe it to him. PLAIN WATER (nothing added, nothing extra, nothing but plain water)
    So are you suggesting that I drop all formula ?? Leave just the HHB and I just start giving him roughage like Broccoli while he has diarrhea? I don't think your really suggesting that. But maybe you are.

Look.. I don't mean to sound like a jerk.. I understand your frustrated too. And busy with your own babies etc and trying to help others.. And alot of people come here and the do some whack things. But you and I both want the best for this squirrel and all squirrels... I am currently 9/9 this season and have fought hard to keep it this way. I have had family pissed off at me for not traveling or leaving this sick guy at home. Have cancelled summer plans due to his illness etc. Please believe me when I say I have struggled with this little guy and I did not give him cherrios or chex because it was a cheap and easy food. I have lost sleep researching, hydrating and cleaning his cage. Both have been a recent additive to help bind his stool and easy for him to digest per TSB.

There is something WRONG with this squirrel in particular. I would like to find out what it is an fix it. Maybe your right.. and its a nutrition deficit . I am not marking that off. But it was not caused by me trying to be cheap. So .. how do I fix it. Healthy diet ---right? yes. We agree.. BUT WHEN do I give the foods? I can't get him to go with out diarrhea for longer than 10 days and with out medication.

Sorry if this sounds curt, but this is getting freaking ridiculous.

EDIT: I think part of your issues are coming from your mentor. You need to make a decision; do it the way of your Mentor or do it the TSB way. Mixing the two and doing a bit of this and a bit of that is clearly not working.
    I agree. Completely. I don't want to get into rehabber war with anyone. I have been relying on TSB, WILD MAMMAL BABIES the first 48 and beyond, and my vet since THEY ( I have two ) told me not to stimulate the 2 & 3 week old squirrels they gave me. ( This sick guy was one of them... they all had coccidia or it was the albon flagyl that fixed them up.) I only report to them at this point when they are released, or sick just to give them a heads up and or for their records that they will turn into the state.

I have spent over $300 dollars on vet trips and medications on this squirrel alone and that is not counting the SMZ I bought on line in cause my vet did not have it or would not proscribe it. However, with the exception of Baycox he has always agreed with TSB and vice versa. So I am not trying to do things the hard way.. nor do I think I know it all.. I just want to get this squirrel baby fixed up so he can be healthy and we can both be happy.

Again.. I am not trying to sound like an A$$. Maybe your right.. maybe he needs to be off formula. But I still think there is something else going on or the medications would not be working. Thats why I am here again asking for help for the same squirrel that has been so dam sick.

So you are suggesting that he be off formula and on just HHB and leafy greens etc. I will take the rice chex and etc away..

I will continue with the HHB ..

But really.. he should be off his one formula a day? That kinda contradicts the advice you gave me in the growth thread.. but that was a week or so ago. So maybe its his age.. that is why?
    Stephanie Carlson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast