Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Near Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 169

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Meh.. He looks thin.. And he is under weight I think.. But resist the urge to feed more than 5-7 % body weight.

    You "could" try giving 7 % for the first and last feeds of the day.. And 5% for the others..

    He has been sick .. So I doubt his weight is your fault. Just keep in truckin. But take it slow with him . The last thing your gonna wanna do is give him over feeding diarrhea .. Which causes stress and that can cause the Coccidia to rear it's ugly head.

    So slow and steady. He will gain on 5%. Your going what.. 3- 3.5 hours between feeding ? And he is on a good formula?

    He will gain.. Slow and steady. Has his weight changed since he started feeling better?
    Stephanie Carlson

    St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Near Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 169

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    He is just now starting meds.. Yeah hold off on bumping him up ! Wait for him to be well.

    And was he cat caught ? What's the red mark on his shoulder ?

    He could be fighting two issues..


    So hydrate with the barely sugared water.. Like you have been doing.. And keep up with feeds 5%.

    It will get easier.

    Do you have a miracle nipple and a good syringe?
    Stephanie Carlson

    St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Meh.. He looks thin.. And he is under weight I think.. But resist the urge to feed more than 5-7 % body weight.

    You "could" try giving 7 % for the first and last feeds of the day.. And 5% for the others..

    He has been sick .. So I doubt his weight is your fault. Just keep in truckin. But take it slow with him . The last thing your gonna wanna do is give him over feeding diarrhea .. Which causes stress and that can cause the Coccidia to rear it's ugly head.

    So slow and steady. He will gain on 5%. Your going what.. 3- 3.5 hours between feeding ? And he is on a good formula?

    He will gain.. Slow and steady. Has his weight changed since he started feeling better?
    Yes, he definitely looks more filled out and hydrated since the second round of antibiotics and the continuous hydration between feedings. I agree with you. I think he's better off with me being constant every 3-3.5 hours with 5% than too much.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    He is just now starting meds.. Yeah hold off on bumping him up ! Wait for him to be well.

    And was he cat caught ? What's the red mark on his shoulder ?

    He could be fighting two issues..


    So hydrate with the barely sugared water.. Like you have been doing.. And keep up with feeds 5%.

    It will get easier.

    Do you have a miracle nipple and a good syringe?
    I don't know if he was caught by a cat - I don't think so because directly above where I found him is the nest. Red marks are scabs healing from a few scraps he had.

    Now he hasn't pooped in nearly 6 hours. Does Baytril and or probiotics cause constipation? Where can I buy a miracle nipple? I have a nipple and good syringe, but the nipple could be better. Thanks!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    I just ordered the miracle nipple and fox valley formula.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,203
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    What kind of formula are you using now? FV itself can cause constipation. Best bet is 50/50 FV and Esbilac.

    Dehydration can cause constipation, pretty much every time. Keep hydrating. ABs can also cause GI upset and constipation. Keeping him well hydrated and keeping the probiotocs going is key. You could also give some apple juice with the water, or AJ undiluted if really bad. Sugar draws water into the gut, and so does the sorbitol in it, which is actually used as a drug for animals and humans as a mild laxative. Be sure not to go crazy and cause the opposite problem.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,203
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Btw, I assume you're stimulating to poop?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Btw, I assume you're stimulating to poop?
    Yes, I've been stimulating him to poop and he's been pooping a lot pretty regularly. Just today starting around 6 am he stopped pooping. I will keep hydrating him and try warm water and massage tonight. I don't want to try AJ and water option until tomorrow if he still hasn't gone. I ordered Fox Valley 20/50 formula today and have been feeding him kitten formula this past week. Can get that specific pre and probiotics form of Ebsilac tomorrow. Is it bad to not just feed him 100% Fox Valley formula? Thanks!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,203
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    FV is currently frowned on because it's caused digestive problems in a lot of sqs. Esbilac powder with probiotics is problem free. many thing that 50/50 mix of FV and Esbilac is ideal. Kitten formula is bad.

  10. #30
    Milo's Mom's Avatar
    Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Auntie MM's Boutique
    Posts
    16,167
    Thanked: 7626

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Esbilac powder with pre/pro-biotics is NOT problem free after they've reached about 5 weeks old (approx.). Personally, I'd mix it 50/50 with FV 20/50 or go with straight FV. Since your baby is still eyes closed (for the next week or so) I'd do the mix of the two and then when eyes are open I'd slowly transition to straight FV.

    There have been several cases on the board lately regarding unexplained runny poop and coincidently they were all on Esbilac and they were between 4 and 8 weeks old.

    Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

    TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Esbilac powder with pre/pro-biotics is NOT problem free after they've reached about 5 weeks old (approx.). Personally, I'd mix it 50/50 with FV 20/50 or go with straight FV. Since your baby is still eyes closed (for the next week or so) I'd do the mix of the two and then when eyes are open I'd slowly transition to straight FV.

    There have been several cases on the board lately regarding unexplained runny poop and coincidently they were all on Esbilac and they were between 4 and 8 weeks old.
    Thanks for all the info!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Near Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    2,166
    Thanked: 169

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by agora1031 View Post
    I just ordered the miracle nipple and fox valley formula.
    Good. The miracle nipple will help greatly !

    If you can't get the esbilac to mix it 50/50 ... then I would just go with what you ordered.
    Stephanie Carlson

    St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: 3 week old with pneumonia? Help!

    Thanks for all your help everyone! He took a huge poop after a little massage with his butt in warm water. The hydration between meals has helped a lot too, I think. Thanks again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •