Thread: Diagnosed UTI but CONSTANT licking. Baytril dosing question?

Question Diagnosed UTI but CONSTANT licking. Baytril dosing question?

My 8 week old baby boy Wrigley has a UTI. I noticed yesterday he was dribbling potty but it wasn't overly smelly. This morning his underbelly was wet and the smell was very pungent. I called the vet and he was seen at 11am. They put him Baytril liquid, he weights 8.1oz (228 grams I believe). He gets 0.25cc ONCE DAILY. The milligram of the liquid is not on the bottle. I've read that baytril is 2x a day. Any suggestions or reassurance on his dose?

I'm second guessing his dose and very concerned about Wrigley. He is miserable! Is there anything to do about his CONSTANT licking? His underbelly is wet from the potty & he's licking to be clean. He had a bath earlier. I don't want to over bathe him. Poor fella.

Here is some background info on him:
    He suffers from neurological issues. He walks very wobbly, he has a hard time balancing on his rear when eating and he is afraid of heights. The vet confirmed that it's JUST neurological and most likely from the fall he took at 3 weeks from his nest. Nothing degenerative!! That's fantastic news. His weight is great, body structure great, muscle tone wonderful and the vet was impressed with our parenting skills. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to read this. He's my world!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Diagnosed UTI but CONSTANT licking. Baytril dosing question?

Can you take a picture of the bottle and post it? Is it the original bottle or did the vet rebottle it?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Can you take a picture of the bottle and post it? Is it the original bottle or did the vet rebottle it?

It's re-bottled. No milligrams at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jensigg View Post
    He gets 0.25cc ONCE DAILY. The milligram of the liquid is not on the bottle. I've read that baytril is 2x a day. Any suggestions or reassurance on his dose?
    Hard to comment on dose without knowing the mills of liquid.
    Antibiotics can be given all at once or the dose broke in half and given every 12 hours. It is believed to work better if split but will still work either way. Splitting the dose is easier on the stomach.

I'm second guessing his dose and very concerned about Wrigley. He is miserable! Is there anything to do about his CONSTANT licking? His underbelly is wet from the potty & he's licking to be clean. He had a bath earlier. I don't want to over bathe him. Poor fella.
    I would keep him washed down with a damp cloth of dawn dish soap
    and dried. On top of being irritated by the uti these little's with compromised bladders can get urine scald.

He suffers from neurological issues.
    There has been and are member's with neuro's of varying degrees.
    Many have had some pretty good results with use of certain medications.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

It's re-bottled. No milligrams at all.
    I have tried to upload more pics but can't. I will call the vet Monday morning. It's a generic bottle with a label far too big for bottle wrapped around.

May I make a bedding suggestion? He is getting wet and doing the constant licking because the urine is likely pooling and not absorbing into whatever you have in his cage for bedding. For the period of time that he has this, I would suggest letting him have some of the paper bedding. The best I have found for this purpose is made by Kaytee and is available at most of the chain pet stores: http://www.petco.com/product/118974/...FS1n7Aod9yIADg

This stuff is amazing. Put down 5 or so sheets of newspaper and dump several inches of this stuff on top. It is nice and soft, and it wicks moisture better than anything I have ever seen. It will pull the urine away from him and down into the newspaper under the bedding.

My second choice would be the Carefresh bedding: http://www.petco.com/product/10791/C...0Bedding-10791

It is not as soft and not *quite* as quickly absorbent but will do the same thing.

The Kaytee is light and fluffy and it does make a bit of a mess but for a short term help in this situation, I would absolutely use it to help keep him dry.