Thread: 2 baby flyers diarrhea from antibiotics... how to treat?

Default 2 baby flyers diarrhea from antibiotics... how to treat?

Hey all,

I recently began treating my two 4-5 week old flyer rescues for aspirating pneumonia and they are doing much better! But now their poop is yellow mustard-like and also their tummies seem to be getting bigger and more bloated. I've been submerging them in warm water up to their arm pits after meals and after voiding just to try and get things moving in there, but they are still so little and I know bloat can kill.

They are still so tiny, I can essentially see their intestines through their tissue-paper thin skin. They are looking a little backed up =(

Their tummies do not seem firm to the touch yet, still very supple, just big. I'm wondering could they just be full? They also don't seem to be pooping as much as they should after eating. I'm currently feeding goat milk + plain yogurt. I'm nixing the heavy cream for the time being, and just trying to get as much yogurt in them as I can.

I began treating them with diluted antibiotic one night ago, so we still have several more days to go.

Secondary question: When storing the antibiotic, does it become ineffective after repeated warming up (for feeding) and cooling down (for storing?) Should I be making new antibiotic every other day or so?

Thanks!
    Dancinkeys15

Default Re: 2 baby flyers diarrhea from antibiotics... how to treat?

Probiotics can be given 2 hours before or 2 hours after the medication dose. It should help with the digestion issues.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Oh my...
    I dunno about the heat affecting the meds effects but I think it could.
    I would not put the abx in the formula. I would draw it up in the syringe. And just give it with a hint of maple syrup or sugar water or someone mentioned grenadine from a liquor store. It's just a flavored sweet syrup. Before they get their formula.

Which meds are they on?

And you did well in removing the cream for now.

But hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. I am only a senior member cause I post a lot.

First, do NOT mix the antibiotic in with their formula. Give it separately, at another time. Most meds taste vile and if they associate their formula with tasting bad you can end up with a baby that refuses to eat.

The yogurt you are adding to the formula will help the tummy but only if you don't kill the bacteria in it by overheating it, or giving it along with the antibiotics. The antibiotics KILL the probiotics. Giving them together means you may as well not even bother with the yogurt.

Infant simethicone (Baby GasX) can help with the bloating.

You must be certain they have digested their last meal before they get their next one. Mixing old and new formula in their stomach is what causes the fermentation that causes bloat.

My best advice is to call Mrs. Skul for flyer baby questions as she is the expert.....

So, on the topic of making sure they have digested their last meal: I've been feeding every 2-4 hours (normally 2 hrs during day, and 4 hrs at night), and it would seem that their is adequate time in between feedings for digestion to happen... but I'm wondering if I should get them to drink some plain water after each feeding just to encourage full digestion AND urination? I know I always digest better when my meals are followed by ample water supply.

The other issue I'm having with waiting so long is that they are SO vigorous on the dropper fill that they end up aspirating themselves! I've tried removing the dropper from their mouth, and re-inserting it just to slow them down, but it happens like once every other feeding where one or both of them will sneeze because they got too much. I've got a proper syringe on order from Henry'spets so it should help... but for now it's a task!

I'm going to go ahead and re-make the antibiotic mixture. I'm guessing it MUST be administered warm... not cold. right? Again, once the proper syringe gets in it can just be put into the syringe and then warmed that way, so the mother mixture can just remain in the fridge at all times.

Ugh.... so complicated! These creatures are so finnicky! If it's not one thing it's another. I'm really grateful for this forum. Thanks everyone.

~DK15

Do you need Mrs. Skuls (Crystal) number? I can pm for you. Also I don't think you should be using a dropper at all...

ABs warm? Heat usually effects ABs negatively.

Sucking on the syringe and aspirating? Can you control the stopper to prevent it from going down too fast?

The antibiotics should not be warmed. Pull up the tiny amount of antibiotic and pop it in their mouth. Store the antibiotic in the refrigerator. A tiny cold drop of antibiotic will not hurt them.

The diarrhea could also be due to switching the formula from the type you had to the goats milk. I don't think you transitioned. It's best to mix the two formulas and transition slowly to a new formula.

I am very concerned about the dropper. Can you get a syringe at WalMart pharmacy? I wouldn't wait until the one you ordered comes in the mail. Continued aspiration of formula is very dangerous.

Do you know what a milk line looks like?

It is the white band across the belly where the milk is after they eat. You can see the milk through the belly.
    It is best for the milk line to be gone before the next feeding. This shows that the milk is moving through the digestive tract. If the white band doesn't go away, new formula added on top can cause bloat. The goats milk is highly digestible and should move through the system. At their age (approx. 4 weeks, eyes open) 2 hours is too soon. Try for 3 hours and see if the milk band is gone.

Waiting may help.

I got a 1cc syringe from wal-mart last night and the thing is so darn fat at the spout they can hardly get it in their mouth let alone get a latch on it! I'll search out CVS today to see if they have a better one. Otherwise, I'll keep pausing during feedings that should help.

I'm going to post again though; Pinnochio seems to be growing lethargic. I'm unsure why, both he and Belle are on the antibiotics and Belle is doing fantastic! She's eating about 1.5ml's per feeding, but I'm having to basically force down his food, and it's 1ml at best. He will feed initially, and then gets tired and doesn't want to nurse anymore. His body heat seems to go away rather quickly too.

Just tonight his poop was greenish and runny.

=( One thing after another.

Thoughts?

DK, I am very concerned about the greenish poop. Does it have a bad odor?
    I have not dealt with this type of issue so I want to bump this so more experience people can look at this.

If the syringe is too fat I would basically allow them to lap the formula off the tip as opposed to latching on until your syringe and nipple arrive. I feel the dropper is just too risky.

It seems things have reversed now. Belle was sinking and now is doing better and now Pinocchio is doing poorly. Oh NO.

Post Re: 2 baby flyers diarrhea from antibiotics... how to treat?

For a 4-5 week old you shouldn't be feeding that often unless they are sick or failing. You may be overfeeding. Diarrhea can be a side effect of the meds or overfeeding. I feed my 3 weeker every 4 hours and he does wonderfully. Also, do not heat up antibiotics. amoxi should be stored in the fridge if you have the liquid suspension.

I also replied to your other post.