Thread: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

Threaded View

Default Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

I couldn't find a place that seemed appropriate for this so I decided to put it here.

Last week I received a baby grey that was about 6 weeks old. The finder had her for 24 hrs and was feeding human baby formula. She didn't have a syringe so I'm not sure what she was using to feed her.

I picked her up around 7:30 in the evening. I put her in a deep Rubbermaid bin with fleece on heat. When she was warm I started hydrating and she took a little but was not enthusiastic about it. I continued offering the fluid with minimal success.

At 11PM, I approached the bin and I could hear it VERY clearly. The baby was clicking. The unusual thing was that the Rubbermaid bin actually served to amplify or concentrate the sound like a speaker. When I took the lid off, I could hear nothing. I ABSOLUTELY could not hear clicking from the baby at all. I put the lid back on and I could hear the clicking again. I was so amazed that the Rubbermaid bin (16x12x11deep) amplified the sound. Without this, I would have missed it and the baby would have died.

I dosed the baby with Cipro immediately. The next morning I dosed again. The baby was doing very poorly. At around 8AM, my mom got 0.3ml of formula in her. At around 11AM she took 1.2ml enthusiastically and started to improve rapidly. Now you can't fill the girl up. She is doing great.

I just wanted to post this due to the unusual way that the clicking was picked up. The bin acted as a speaker and amplified the sound. I was curious if anyone else has noticed thing. For me it was an 'aha' moment. Maybe this could help someone also.

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ashkabob (09-07-2021), Bushwacker (04-21-2016), Danie (08-18-2021), LanSeaAir (01-25-2019), Scooterzmom (10-10-2021), Summerc25 (09-30-2023), TubeDriver (07-22-2020)