Thread: !!!CAT ATTACK - PLEASE HELP!!!!

Default !!!CAT ATTACK - PLEASE HELP!!!!

HI! My dog found an injured Alabama Gray Squirrel that was attacked by a cat in my backyard about an hour ago. The squirrel is moving around a bit but doesn't appear to have severe open wounds just some bloody scratches that don't look too bad. I put gloves on and moved/scooped it into a small kennel that I had lined with paper towels & then I brought it indoors out of the heat. We have had record highs for the past couple of weeks so I thought It may help moving it indoors out of the heat. I'm really hoping that it may just be in shock and need some time to gather itself and hopefully recover so I can release it back with its squirrel friends.
    Unfortunately, I can't take it to our local widlife rehab center as they will just put it down immediately (*I learned that the last time I tried rescuing another injured squirrel I found last year. They killed it as soon as I dropped it off and told me they don't rehabilitate squirrels anymore - Not sure why?).
    More Details:This squirrel does appear to be a juvenile as it is not as big as some of my other backyard squirrels. At the moment it is just laying on its side in the kennel. When I check-in on it, it does move it's two front arms around a bit almost like it's trying to flip over on all 4's. I'm not sure if it's back legs are injured or not (I think I saw it move them earlier but I'm not 100% sure). And I'm not sure if it's breathing is still considered "labored" - It does appear to be breathing much better than it was when I first found it. I'm really hoping for some advice on what I should do? I would really like to see this little guy live especially since he does appear to be young. Please Please let me know what y'all think is best for this squirrel at this time!

Default Re: !!!CAT ATTACK - PLEASE HELP!!!!

Also, it is moving it's tail as well. So, I'm still not sure why it can't stand up yet. I was worried about a back injury but if it's tail is moving I'm hoping that means it's not paralyzed or anything.

Given that he doesn't seem to have obvious terrible wounds, what worries me the most is that cat bites are so often very "toxic." They can and usually do carry pasturella, which is passed in the saliva. The rule in rehabbing is that if an animal is cat caught, even if you can't find a single wound, you should treat with antibiotics.

Can you look around your own medicine chest, call friends, etc., and see what antibiotics you can find? Regular human prescription antibiotics. Cipro would be very good, but many other meds will work so if you can get a list and bring it back (need to know the size of the pills in milligrams) and let us know, we can help you to break it down to squirrel sized dose and sneak it into him.

He may just need to rest and recover to gain his movement back. He will need water, and given that something like a walnut or pecan will be used to deliver the meds, it would be a good idea to see if he will eat at all.

What would be the best human antibiotic to use? I have a family member that is a human doctor and I'm hoping they can call in a prescription for me.

I'll try to find the cipro! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mkkent91 View Post
    I'll try to find the cipro! Thank you!
    Second choice would be amoxicillin clavulanate, but the Cipro is faster. Have him give you a 1ml syringe (no needle needed) too. You need it to dilute and dose.

If you can put up a pic with something that we can recognize the size of - a soda can perhaps in the frame, we can "guesstimate" the weight of him.

You will only need ONE pill.

Okay, Thank you so much for your help!

I was able to get the Cipro prescription but it's in liquid form. So, I picked up some droppers and a few syringe size options all with ML measurements in case I may need them. I did put a tiny dish of water in the kennel with him right when I first found him earlier this afternoon, but it doesn't look like he's touched it and he's still not able to sit up/roll over on to his stomach. However, he did seem to move himself a little bit so now he's in a different position (in the kennel) from where he was laying before I left to go to the store (still laying on[IMG]jpg[/IMG] his side though).
    I also picked up a salt-free walnut and salt-free pecan option as well as the wildlife squirrel feed mix that looks like is bunch of corn kernels & shelled sunflower seeds.

How should I try to give him the medicine? Should I try to crush up some of the nuts and give him those as well? Do you think he will want to eat?

Please see the pics attached. All I had was a an old toilet paper roll to use for size reference. *Also that is just some dirt and grass in the pic not poop. Name:  BYS #1.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  119.7 KBName:  BYS#2.jpg
Size:  100.0 KBName:  BYS#3.jpg
Size:  108.0 KB
    Last edited by mkkent91; 08-16-2023 at 04:54 PM. Reason: ++ picture

***Actually, the pharmacy only had the pills so I have 500Mg pill tablets.

Darn. I wish I had gotten to you before the pharmacy. He may be in pain from the biting and general trauma, and they CAN take infant or children's ibuprophen, which are both flavored liquids. It may perk him up.

It looks like you can put your hands in there. Did you get a 1ml syringe? If we made it taste better, do you think you could slip the syringe into the corner of his mouth and push the plunger? It will be a very small dose.

Aww dang. I can run up and get some children's ibuprophen first thing in the morning! How should I try to give him the pill should I crush it up in some liquid or only use like 1/2 or 1/4 of the pill? I'm not sure how I can try to make it taste better for him? Should I add a little sugar water to the pill mixture? Have any other ideas? Thanks!

Give me a minute. We are much more specific than that. I will send you dilution and dosing info by Private Message.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

mkkent91 (08-16-2023)

PM sent

AWE poor little guy (girl)! Thank you so much for rushing in, and scooping him up! He (I will refer to it as him, for now, for simplicity) looks pretty scared. My heart breaks for this little one! He is absolutely adorable (juvenille for sure).

It’s best to keep him safe, inside for the next 10 days or so. So you can monitor his health, injuries, and make sure he gets his full course of AB. Do you have a small cage you can keep him in, during this time? A carrier isn’t ideal, but could work if it’s the ONLY option. (ANYTHING to save this sweetheart!)

It’s best to keep him somewhere, nice and quiet, away from other animals, children, commotion and/or disturbances. Squirrels like to be able to borrow into something & find a private, quiet, dark, space, for security. Covering half of the cage might be good at first.

Also providing squares of cut up T-shirt’s, flannel, or fleece, so he can have a comfy nest. (DO NOT use towels, or microfiber cloths, because their sharp whittle talons can get caught a in the loops, and result in injuries) I realize he isn’t moving much at the moment…regardless though, I’m sure he doesn’t love feeling so exposed. Whatever you can do to help provide him a sense of security and safety will help him tremendously. In this new environment, after such a traumatic experience, I’m sure he is in some form/state of shock, for sure. His whole world got turned upside down in a fraction of a second. 🥺😟

Poor little guy! Cats are the worst torture machines out there! They catch, recatch, and “play with” their prey. Yet that CAN maybe, be a good thing for your squirrel, hopefully the extent and severity of injuries are lessened as a result. But the poor babe is probably scared to death. 😢😢 His eyes are tugging at my soul!!

The “squirrel feed” you picked up, might be ok as a treat for wild squirrels/the backyard gang…it’s basically complete garbage nutritionally speaking. it doesn’t have any nutritional value for him. If you are able to pick up some healthy veggies and fruits, those would be much better, and will help him recover and stay strong.

Since he appears to be very young, he quite likely, might still be interested in formula. That would be the best scenario. Formula is packed with vitamins, fats, protein, calories and if he will take it from a dish Great. If you can coax him to take some from a syringe…even BETTER. Because, you can might need to mix the dose of AB with the formula, to be sure he gets the entire recommended dose. (Others may disagree. If so they are right. As I’m not 100% sure. Typically it’s best to give them their measured dose of meds by itself, so you can be sure they got it all) Either way, I would give formula a try.

The powdered puppy milk replacer from pet smart/pet o/tractor supply. (Not goats milk formula) (Store unused, powder in the freezer - or the fridge at least. Despite what the “can says” the formula will go bad/rancid rather quickly if left out at room temperature) Then offer veggies as well. If no interest in formula, you will need to dose it in a nut, by squirting it into the grooves of a walnut or pecan, allowing it to dry, and feeding it to him that way. But I’m sure CM already walked you through all that.

I am praying for you both! I hope he relaxes, and calms down from these traumatic events! Again, thank you so much for jumping in and saving this sweet darling! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

mkkent91 (08-17-2023)

Thank you for all the helpful advice! He did make it through the night and is drinking water this morning. Still not eating yet. I gave him the infant ibuprofen so I'm hoping that helps him feel better. I also tried giving him a little bit of an all natural peanut butter I had and he tried a little but didn't seem very interested. Please keep praying for him and his recovery! I'll update y'all with any new developments. Thanks again for everyones help! I'm so so glad I found this Forum online. He wouldn't have had any hope if it wasn't for y'all's shared information and quick response!

Thank you for all the helpful advice! He did make it through the night and is drinking water this morning. Still not eating yet. I gave him the infant ibuprofen so I'm hoping that helps him feel better. I also tried giving him a little bit of an all natural peanut butter I had and he tried a little but didn't seem very interested. Please keep praying for him and his recovery! I'll update y'all with any new developments. Thanks again for everyones help! I'm so so glad I found this Forum online. He wouldn't have had any hope if it wasn't for y'all's shared information and quick response!
    Any luck getting the meds into him?

Hey there! I'm in central Alabama if you need help with anything. Main thing is don't post on social media because our state is awful about helping squirrels. For esibiliac I found that Petsense still has the kind with probiotics without the rosemary extract. I also have Henry's nutritional boost if you need any and plenty of henry's blocks. please PM me if you need anything

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nikkicreatesart:

CritterMom (08-17-2023), island rehabber (08-17-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-18-2023), Tashahaven (08-17-2023)