Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

Default Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

I couldn't find a place that seemed appropriate for this so I decided to put it here.

Last week I received a baby grey that was about 6 weeks old. The finder had her for 24 hrs and was feeding human baby formula. She didn't have a syringe so I'm not sure what she was using to feed her.

I picked her up around 7:30 in the evening. I put her in a deep Rubbermaid bin with fleece on heat. When she was warm I started hydrating and she took a little but was not enthusiastic about it. I continued offering the fluid with minimal success.

At 11PM, I approached the bin and I could hear it VERY clearly. The baby was clicking. The unusual thing was that the Rubbermaid bin actually served to amplify or concentrate the sound like a speaker. When I took the lid off, I could hear nothing. I ABSOLUTELY could not hear clicking from the baby at all. I put the lid back on and I could hear the clicking again. I was so amazed that the Rubbermaid bin (16x12x11deep) amplified the sound. Without this, I would have missed it and the baby would have died.

I dosed the baby with Cipro immediately. The next morning I dosed again. The baby was doing very poorly. At around 8AM, my mom got 0.3ml of formula in her. At around 11AM she took 1.2ml enthusiastically and started to improve rapidly. Now you can't fill the girl up. She is doing great.

I just wanted to post this due to the unusual way that the clicking was picked up. The bin acted as a speaker and amplified the sound. I was curious if anyone else has noticed thing. For me it was an 'aha' moment. Maybe this could help someone also.

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ashkabob (09-07-2021), Bushwacker (04-21-2016), Danie (08-18-2021), LanSeaAir (01-25-2019), Scooterzmom (10-10-2021), Summerc25 (09-30-2023), TubeDriver (07-22-2020)

Default Re: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

I have, "knock on wood" never had to deal with AP but that's a great tip for catching it quick. Glad to hear she's doing better! Good catch!!!
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

lovesmice Guest

I am happy to hear you were able to catch the AP and even happier that you found a clever way to do so. AP is a serious problem and I am sure this will be quite helpful to many people.

Wow. Interesting. Thanks for sharing, P.
    So glad she's doing better now!

When do we get pics of all your kids, anyway?

A year ago this same month I made a similar post calling it the "phantom click."
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-phantom-click
    I know my hearing can be "challenged" at my age but I no longer believe "the click"
    is going to be all that audible with every case.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Hmm that makes sense! Would not have thought of it but... Very interesting. ESP since Pip never clicked... But I kept him in a critter keeper at the age he got sick.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I couldn't find a place that seemed appropriate for this so I decided to put it here.

Last week I received a baby grey that was about 6 weeks old. The finder had her for 24 hrs and was feeding human baby formula. She didn't have a syringe so I'm not sure what she was using to feed her.

I picked her up around 7:30 in the evening. I put her in a deep Rubbermaid bin with fleece on heat. When she was warm I started hydrating and she took a little but was not enthusiastic about it. I continued offering the fluid with minimal success.

At 11PM, I approached the bin and I could hear it VERY clearly. The baby was clicking. The unusual thing was that the Rubbermaid bin actually served to amplify or concentrate the sound like a speaker. When I took the lid off, I could hear nothing. I ABSOLUTELY could not hear clicking from the baby at all. I put the lid back on and I could hear the clicking again. I was so amazed that the Rubbermaid bin (16x12x11deep) amplified the sound. Without this, I would have missed it and the baby would have died.

I dosed the baby with Cipro immediately. The next morning I dosed again. The baby was doing very poorly. At around 8AM, my mom got 0.3ml of formula in her. At around 11AM she took 1.2ml enthusiastically and started to improve rapidly. Now you can't fill the girl up. She is doing great.

I just wanted to post this due to the unusual way that the clicking was picked up. The bin acted as a speaker and amplified the sound. I was curious if anyone else has noticed thing. For me it was an 'aha' moment. Maybe this could help someone also.
    HRT 4 squirrels.

My vet put a 12 to 14 week old easteren grey on doxy instead of baytril. Do u think that will work. Only clicking u can hear is if u put the muzzle in your ear. Cant hear it with lungs. I'll try the container since she has one for a homemade incubator.

No respitory issues, not lethargic, eating well. We r doing humidity amd doxy.

Pray please

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ozzy2019 from:

cuddles (08-10-2020)

hello, I just rescued a baby squirrel. It must be around 5 weeks old. I heard the 'clicking sound' today and I'm very worried. It has been showing signs of Aspiration pneumonia but I am scared to give her medicine. What amount of ciprofloxacin should I give her? Should I first go with homeopathy medine, rather? I hope my baby survives.

Quote Originally Posted by cuddles View Post
    hello, I just rescued a baby squirrel. It must be around 5 weeks old. I heard the 'clicking sound' today and I'm very worried. It has been showing signs of Aspiration pneumonia but I am scared to give her medicine. What amount of ciprofloxacin should I give her? Should I first go with homeopathy medine, rather? I hope my baby survives.
    Did you ever figure out the dosage? Or what homeopathy medicine did you use?

Hello! I'm from Tamilnadu. I found a new born squirrel pinky 1 week ago. she has clicking sound from yesterday. She becomes very thin and breathe through mouth. In here, I can't found baytril or other antibiotics for squirrel. Can I give human antibiotics to her. I have Azithromycin Azithral 500. Plss anyone reply

Could you tell me how long to treat the aspiration if I have cipro 500mg & the baby is 30g? I noticed my little one today aspirate a tiny bit but has the clicking sounds now. Vets wont help me

Quote Originally Posted by straussrn View Post
    Could you tell me how long to treat the aspiration if I have cipro 500mg & the baby is 30g? I noticed my little one today aspirate a tiny bit but has the clicking sounds now. Vets wont help me
    An admin will have to help you with dosing.

But, I wanted to say as an aside, aspiration pneumonia takes days to develop (not hours.) When the baby aspirated, did you hold him/her upside down and tap their back lightly between the shoulder blades? Then wipe away the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by straussrn View Post

Aspiration does cause aspiration pneumonia, but aspirating does not mean it will absolutely result in aspiration pneumonia. And most babies will have a mouth click occasionally, especially after eating. The lung click of AP is persistent... if the baby is clicking while sleeping, for example, good chances they have AP.

So we want to make sure we are treating AP and giving antibiotics only when necessary as they can be very hard on the babies and their tummies.

Is your baby clicking constantly, or losing it's appetite?

Edit: I preemptively sent dosing info in case it is needed and I feared I may not be around later to dose it...

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Danie (08-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Aspiration does cause aspiration pneumonia, but aspirating does not mean it will absolutely result in aspiration pneumonia. And most babies will have a mouth click occasionally, especially after eating. The lung click of AP is persistent... if the baby is clicking while sleeping, for example, good chances they have AP.

So we want to make sure we are treating AP and giving antibiotics only when necessary as they can be very hard on the babies and their tummies.

Is your baby clicking constantly, or losing it's appetite?

Edit: I preemptively sent dosing info in case it is needed and I feared I may not be around later to dose it...
    could i please get that dosing chart? i would like to get some meds tomorrow. dkkirby@ymail.com

Yes on the continuous clicking. No on lethargic. Where did you send the chart to may I ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    could i please get that dosing chart? i would like to get some meds tomorrow. dkkirby@ymail.com

We will only dose in a Private Message. In order to dose the entire information of the medication (name, strength, form (tab, cap, liquid) is required and the weight of the squirrel (dosing is based upon weight).

Hi , I’m very new to this , my neighbor found a baby squirrel with his dead sibling that fell during a storm and wanted to let him die outside. I think he has pneumonia as I can hear clicking noises if I put my ear on his chest. He(or she) still has its eyes closed but from pictures of grey squirrels I think he’s 3-4weeks. I have a lot of antibiotics at home , tetracycline, azithromycin, rifadin, clindamicyn, maybe some amoxicillin if I look hard enough. I have an auto immune skin condition and tried a lot of antibiotics that did not work. Nobody wants to help this little baby.. what kind of antibiotics and what dosage would you give him? I’ve put him in a heating blanket and I fed him 3 times already with Esbilac and cream. My vet doesn’t want to help him ,he says it’s an invasive species and should be euthanized but it’s just heartless.. it’s just a cute little thing.

Exclamation Re: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

I believe my Rudy has AP. He has the clicking, lathargic, low appetite, gets cold, and he is losing weight (getting boney). How do I get antibiotics without a prescription? He needs them quick…

Quote Originally Posted by Homeslice58 View Post
    I believe my Rudy has AP. He has the clicking, lathargic, low appetite, gets cold, and he is losing weight (getting boney). How do I get antibiotics without a prescription? He needs them quick…
    Attn: Homeslice, your post has been moved into your own forum to get the attention and help needed.
    You will find it here, linked below....
    Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed - Aspiration pneumonia help needed

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ia-help-needed
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Lightbulb Re: Aspiration Pneumonia: Interesting observation

How much medicine did you give the baby squirrel I have one that is about 3 and a 1/2 weeks old and it's old and I need to give her some amoxicillin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast