Thread: Weight and Feeding Q

Hybrid View

Default Weight and Feeding Q

Does anybody know what a 5-6 week old grey squirrel usually weighs? My little guy has such a variable appetite I thought I'd try weighing him to see how much he should be eating... Right now he weighs in at 5.5 ounces ( 155 grams)- how is that? He seems kind of scrawny, but in an endearing way.. His eating habits are really wierd, though. One feeding he will take 9 cc's, and the next he only wants 4... I am offering about every 3-4 hours.. and letting him go about 7 hours overnight. I offered him a small apple wedge today, and he shredded it into small bits but I don't think he ate any of it. (It was a big fun messy party to him! ) SO does this sound normal to you??
    Thanks-

Liza

Mars Guest

Default Re: Weight and Feeding Q

Try to even out the feedings. At that age I'm feeding at 5% his body weight in grams so about 7.5 cc per feeding. He should come away acting hungrey. There is a disconnect between tummy and mouth. Give him a good back rub to burb him and he will quickly realise he is full. Weight him daily and feed accordingly. He should be gaining about 3 or more grams per day.