Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: new baby - need help

Default Re: new baby - need help

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

If you are giving her only .75 you are GROSSLY underfeeding her.
    A squirrel that weighs 20 grams should take 1 cc of formula minimum at every feeding.

She IS starving to death.
    You need a scale to weigh her, she is being UNDERFED.

Nancy is absolutely right, and I pray it is not too late for this tiny one.
    Try to slip a tiny drop of formula into her mouth, on the side under her muzzle, drop by drop. Make sure it is WARM. If you can do this every 15 minutes or so, for several hours, you might save her. She is in severe shock from dehydration. She got the diarrhea because her formula was too diluted, plus she was getting the Pedialyte. Her body has no reserves of nourishment to draw upon.

DROP by Drop. Keep her warm, keep the formula warm, and pray.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

On my scale 4 quarters weigh 23 grams. Your's is reading under for some reason.
    Right now your girl weighs 25 grams on your scale?
    We won't worry about the amount to feed just yet,
    you have to do what Maura (island rehabber) suggested.
    This is an all night ordeal I fear, and she is in dire need of help.
    Do you work through the day? If so do you take her with you?

I am praying for this little one, and for you as well.

Thank you! Yes I work. I'm a teacher and I take her with me each day. A different scale will be here today. If not I will take her to the post office or something to figure it out. She is looking so much better. I just fed her and she's back eating and actually wanting to eat. She is not nearly as dehydrated now but can I continue the water mixture through today too? I wasn't sure if it was a limited time kind of thing. Thank you so much for all your help. You really don't know how much I appreciate it.

You can continue the water mixture / hydration in between
    her formula feedings as needed. Is this what you are asking?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Pictures would also be very helpful to be able
    to follow a visual progress as well.

stepnstone08@hotmail.com
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Yes that is what I was asking was if I could continue the water through today too. I am not sure if the picture does it justice but in person she looks SO much better. Thank you all!Name:  Mavis _ Thursday.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  1.25 MB

Oh, poor little sweetie. I'm glad she is getting extra hydration and nutrition in her now. An accurate weight will really help. Hopefully she will began to put on some weight soon. Praying for this little one - thank you for caring for her.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Just wondering how this little peanut is doing.
    I think of this one often, and hope that things are working
    out well for both, his Mom and him.

MUCH better! I will post a pic when I get back to my computer. Went from 9 grams on Thursday to 11 grams last night. The second scale may not be right either (according to the 4 quarter theory) but at least this one is consistent and we are gaining. When I first got this baby, it had 4 big abscesses that burst a few days later (thick, sticky yellow puss) and that is when everything went down hill. One of those spots looks like it is coming back but it is skin color and kind of hard. I wasn't sure if this was a concern. There is also a spot that the skin looks a little dry. Could I put baby oil on it? Thank you all so much for saving this little one! My husband has gotten very attached now too and checks on it constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by IncrediblyPink View Post
    MUCH better! I will post a pic when I get back to my computer. Went from 9 grams on Thursday to 11 grams last night. The second scale may not be right either (according to the 4 quarter theory) but at least this one is consistent and we are gaining. When I first got this baby, it had 4 big abscesses that burst a few days later (thick, sticky yellow puss) and that is when everything went down hill. One of those spots looks like it is coming back but it is skin color and kind of hard. I wasn't sure if this was a concern. There is also a spot that the skin looks a little dry. Could I put baby oil on it? Thank you all so much for saving this little one! My husband has gotten very attached now too and checks on it constantly.

What a fantastic update. This little one is still so tiny!
    Is she eating well? I'm so glad that she is gaining, we will get her
    big and strong in no time. I really don't think your scale can be correct,
    as this is just TOO small for a little grey unless she was born yesterday.
    How much are you feeding? Do you have the 1 cc syringes?
    Yes, more pictures please.
    Glad that hubby is enjoying him too, they are magical!

Looking at the pics I am wondering if the spots that burst might have been ant bites. I see that a lot with the squirrels here in Mississippi. Best thing to do is just keep her clean and they should clear up. Glad to hear Peanut is gaining!
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IncrediblyPink View Post
    Glad to see this little one is still with us.
    Personally I would use neosporin on the dry
    area and on the "spots" as well.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Here is an updated photo. My students from school are in love and have named her "Mavis." (apparently that's the name of a train on a cartoon) Everyone has fallen in love and I hope we are out of the woods and on track. I will purchasing my 4th scale tomorrow. I have spent almost $100 on scales the past week. None of the are weighing correctly according to all of you guys information. Thank you all so much. I have been started putting neosporin on the dry spot but I left it scaly in the picture so you all could see. Any other tips and pointers are EXTREMELY welcome. My husband bought her the hedgehog that is with her in the picture. Is that ok? She snuggles with it and climbs on top of it. I'm scared she is going to smother... Thank you all so very much for your information and your prayers!!!!! Name:  Mavis Sunday (2).jpg
Views: 93
Size:  1.24 MB

Hey guys? Pretty sure that is a little RED squirrel. It would help explain the weight...

A lot of us put stuffies in with the babies, especially the singletons. They love to snuggle with them and as they get older many wrestle with them too. It's good she has a little buddy and don't worry about the suffocation. You should see my five little ones piled up together. It looks like a crazy game of twister. She does look like she is finally filling out a little bit. Keep up the good work!

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Hey guys? Pretty sure that is a little RED squirrel. It would help explain the weight...
    You think that's a little red? That would explain the weight, but now I have to look at my old pictures.
    Do you have reds in Mississippi?

I just flipped the picture to get a better look. Her body is really filling out great.
    OMG this may be a little red, does she have that black stripe going down her nose, it
    looks it.
    Don't go buying a new scale yet, reds are MUCH smaller than grey squirrels.
    Do you have reds there?

Here's one of my little reds from last year, see the stripe?

Is this a good size comparison to your's? This is mine at 10 days old.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    You think that's a little red? That would explain the weight, but now I have to look at my old pictures.
    Do you have reds in Mississippi?
    Here in Mississippi we have fox squirrels which can reach 10-15 inches and weigh 2.5 lbs, while our grays are usually 8-10 inches and weigh just over a pound. There are two sub-species of fox squirrels one in the northern part of the state and one in the Delta but they are not small like the northern reds either.

She does have the little black strip like your picture but... I don't think we have reds here either. My husband swears we don't. She was found in a very rich neighborhood so maybe she's an import. She is closer to length of a bottle of nail polish but I don't know her age. Roughly 2 weeks is best guess after looking at everyone's pictures. I will take a picture of something next to her tomorrow. For some reason I can't upload pictures from my phone so it's a process to post them. How old are they before you can "see/decide" what type? I'm concerned I'm developing a squirrel addiction...

Oh dear, I'm afraid its happened................. you are

Ha, just $100.00? Just wait! They are totally addictive. But worth every penny. Once you've known the love of a squirrel, well, its like nothing else you'll ever experience. They are life changers. Many of us suspect they might possess some kind of magical powers, to be able to completely take over,( up until now ), completely normal peoples lives, they have us spending large sums of money, going without sleep, worrying ourselves sick, we develop a fear of leaving them, well, the list goes on and on.

But I can already tell, you're perfect for the job. I just found your thread, and saw the first picture you posted, and compared it to the current picture, quite an improvement! And, you are in the best hands possible, there are some amazing squirrel experts here, and someone is available 24 hours a day if you need help. You are never alone here. I have seen many amazing miracles happen here.
    So , and we're sure glad you and Mavis are here!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast