Thread: Homemade Formula?

thatwickedchic Guest

Default Homemade Formula?

Good Evening,

My baby Eastern Grey squirrel is 4 weeks okd and I'm about to switch him from Pedialyte to formula but I want to know if it's possible to make him a formula instead?

Also, I want to incorporate solid foods. I got him some unsalted corn but he continuously sucks on it then spits it out. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Homemade Formula?

He is far too young for solid food and when he IS ready, corn is a very bad choice.

There are homemade formulas that are okay for temporary use but you won't get the balance of vitamins, minerals, fats, and proteins that you will if you use a formula intended for this. We recommend Esbilac POWDERED formula for puppies, which is available at chain pet stores like Petco as well as Tractor Supply.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

DarkLies212 (03-13-2016), island rehabber (03-13-2016), lukaslolamaus (03-13-2016), Spanky (03-13-2016)

You can use the homemade formula temporarily until you get some Esbilac in. I have found the 28 ounce can cheapest on eBay. Make sure you get the one with probiotics. It has a blue band at the bottom of the label. First food should be blocks and only after those are being eaten very well then you can start introducing fresh vegetables. Just think of it like this, if you give a child candy and then try to give them broccoli which one are they going to choose. You want them to eat the good stuff first. I haven't had enough coffee yet to find the thread with the healthy food list but here is the one with the Goat's Milk Formula.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...BABY-SQUIRRELS
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ALittleNutty from:

thatwickedchic Guest

When would be a good time to give him solid foods?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    He is far too young for solid food and when he IS ready, corn is a very bad choice.

There are homemade formulas that are okay for temporary use but you won't get the balance of vitamins, minerals, fats, and proteins that you will if you use a formula intended for this. We recommend Esbilac POWDERED formula for puppies, which is available at chain pet stores like Petco as well as Tractor Supply.

Where in Florida are you located?
    Do you want us to try to find a rehabber for him?
    How long was he on pedialyte?

Has he had ANY formula at all since you've had him?

How long have you had him?

He needs to stay on formula as long as possible.
    This will help prevent MBD down the line.
    It is essential that babies be raised on a good forumla.

You will introduce blocks somewhere down the line, probably around 7 weeks or so.
    He needs formula every 4 hours and we give that according to their weight.
    We feed 5-7% of their body weight at every feeding.
    example if he weighs 100 grams you would feed him 5-7 cc's every 4 hours.
    How much does he weigh?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.