Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Never in my life

Default Re: Never in my life

Way to go Patti! Susie looks great now. Wow!
    I must admit that when I read your first post I felt a little sickish
    and skimmed through the gross stuff...
    but wow what an awesome outcome.
    Way to go Patti !
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

Amazing job, Patti!
    Susie looks really good and so healthy.
    How's her Susietude now? Is she nicer to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed View Post
    Amazing job, Patti!
    Susie looks really good and so healthy.
    How's her Susietude now? Is she nicer to you?
    Fireweed, the Susietude is intact. She was on my shoulder when she realized I had shelled nuts in my hand. I darn near lost a finger.

My sweet girl is now 100% Bot Free. I sure would love to give her a bath so she would smell sweet BUT I think I'll let that idea go.

Other than that, yeah she pretty sweet.

The baby squirrel kit at Henry's should come with a large box of band aids for when they get "tude" Susie is beautiful (even if she is smelly). You got another pair of sainthood suspenders darlin!

Not sure if you've done this yet, H, but your pm's have maxed out, and people are trying to reach you. Or were, yesterday... disregard if you've already made some room

Also, it appears your personal (home) email is over quota, I've been seeing a few bouncebacks to the admin addy.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

That's OK Bravo, my work email is over quota also.
    I'm not sure what that's about but I received notification of about 14 bounced back PM's from TSB
    and I'm 100% certain that I'm not THAT important.

Maybe you won the FuzzyForLife Lotto... Susie sure did.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I wanted to sum up Susie's awful experience by posting a picture of her from today.
    At around 6:30 I went outside and called her. From seemingly nowhere, she appeared half way down my driveway. She paused ... I called, Susie ... and she came running toward me full stride and didn't stop until she was on my shoulder.
    I walked in the house with her on my shoulder and got her some treats.
    My Susie is back!!! Her shoulders are bare but soon she'll be sporting a brand new squirrel fur coat.
    Attachment 240811
    Oh wow, she looks wonderful!!!

I have to ask, how did you dispose of the little suckers? I'm not sure if I would have set them on fire, or let them drown, or smash them with a hammer... That's my darker side coming out, critters like bots do that to me. ;P

"According to the powers that be,
    a squirrel can have as many lives as they think they can get away with."

Flyers boys: Chuck, Totoro, Appa, Frodo
    Flyer girls: Sen, Nim, Sansa, Arya
    Glaurung the Bearded Dragon
    Severus Snake the Western Hognose

Quote Originally Posted by ConkerChild View Post
    I have to ask, how did you dispose of the little suckers? I'm not sure if I would have set them on fire, or let them drown, or smash them with a hammer... That's my darker side coming out, critters like bots do that to me. ;P
    A flamethrower would be my choice!
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Just nothing quite like a burial at sea!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Just nothing quite like a burial at sea!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Default Re: Never in my life (Part2)

I have been very concerned about my releases over the last month. Susie, Sunny and Cheri all left abruptly. I didn't see any of them for 3 weeks. Nearing the third week Sunny stopped in to visit. Then, one day, I called Susie and I saw movement at the base of her tree. It was SUSIE. She came running to me and got on my shoulder. Of course, I loaded her up with treats. She was once again covered in bot fly warbles and open holes where they had recently exited. She was a mess but looked strong so I didn't take her in. At that point most of the bots were gone. She probably had 4-6 left.

I have been very concerned about Cheri because she was the friendliest release out there. She was very obese so I thought possibly she had babies. To put my mind to rest, I wanted to check her nest box today. On top of the release cage I found Susie this morning in very bad shape. She was rail thin, dehydrated and circling. She looks like she is blind. Her eyes are not cloudy but they do look glassy, blank and she couldn't really find things. I was devastated but I knew what I had to do. I caught her and brought her in. She has about 4 more large warbles and many holes.
    I offered hydration fluid and she drank and drank like she was parched for water. I offered several types of food. I didn't care if it was healthy or not today. She ate an HHB, almonds, a walnut, avocado and fresh corn. She is resting now in a small cage in my house. I'm hopeful that hydration and nutrition and a few days of rest will bring my girl back. The combination of the heat, the bots and the mosquitoes is just more than she can bare.

WHY ...WHY ... WHY do some squirrels get bots MORE than others??? I just hate those things. My poor Susie.

Poor Susie, I am so glad you decided to check on her! Susie.

gah! i live in mortal dread of dealing with those things! if only there was an internal med like Capstar that would make them back out!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

So...Susie lets you touch her, doesn't she? I wonder if it might not be a good idea to keep her on regular Revolution application, at least during the summer fly season? It only has to be applied once a month, and while I don't know this, I would think it would provide for a fairly hostile environment that the larvae might not be able to survive in...

CritterMom, that is definitely my plan for NEXT year. In the mean time I will research until my eyes fail for a remedy for those awful things. Abby tried Skin So Soft on Wiggles and that didn't work. A rehabber suggested a drop of Revolution for 3 babies that had tiny warbles. The thought was to kill the larvae while they are small and the body would absorb them. No, that didn't work either. The bots were flourishing despite the treatment. I'm hopeful that the Revolution will kill them when they first enter the body after the egg hatches. I'll keep trying until I find the answer if there is one.

I did have a little good news today. Cheri was NOT in her nest box. I was so worried that something happened and she was up there passed. The 2 boxes were very dirty and buggy so I cleaned them. She had to leave the box because of the bugs so I'm hopeful that she is away with a new family.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    The thought was to kill the larvae while they are small and the body would absorb them. No, that didn't work either. The bots were flourishing despite the treatment. I'm hopeful that the Revolution will kill them when they first enter the body after the egg hatches.
    I was wondering about exactly this... I have a release (Sammy) that has the very first hint of a bot (bare spot with a pin hole, not even lumpy yet). I could get a drop of revolution on him but I don't know if its too late already? Maybe it would help prevent any more since he is one of the ones that seem to get a lot. I also wonder about using revolution on a nursing mommy?

You could try it Spanky. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast