Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Never in my life

Default Re: Never in my life

A couple of years ago our Oscuro had two bots...and they went away with out treatment. The cavities were really spooky looking (YUK !). I was thrilled when they healed and disappeared.
    I am very glad that Susie survived her massive bot infestation.
    I hope this summer passes uneventfully......................

Name:  Oscuro bot warble.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  80.1 KBName:  Oscvur bot cavity.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  111.6 KB

'

I hope, by using the Revolution early in the season, little Susie will have NO bot touch her.

Those larva really give me the "willies" - I cringe just thinking about those disgusting buggers.

Tomkay91 Guest

Name:  received_524803785003160.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  164.3 KB
    Wild caught adult squirrel brought to me today. Vet tech who caught her helped remove bots. She was lethargic and partially paralyzed in her front legs. She had 4 "empty" holes filled with pus, 3 bots. Started her on pain meds before we even started. All 7 holes flushed with betadine and packed with antibiotic cream. That was 5 hours ago. Just checked on her and she seems exhausted but better. This was my first go at an adult or with bots. Holy crow! Going to keep her inside resting for a few days. What's one more when you have 9 bottle babies already?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tomkay91 from:

Diggie's Friend (09-29-2019)

Tomkay91 Guest

Name:  received_524803785003160.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  164.3 KB
    Wild caught adult squirrel brought to me today. Vet tech who caught her helped remove bots. She was lethargic and partially paralyzed in her front legs. She had 4 "empty" holes filled with pus, 3 bots. Started her on pain meds before we even started. All 7 holes flushed with betadine and packed with antibiotic cream. That was 5 hours ago. Just checked on her and she seems exhausted but better. This was my first go at an adult or with bots. Holy crow! Going to keep her inside resting for a few days. What's one more when you have 9 bottle babies already?

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tomkay91 from:

SammysMom (09-28-2019)

Today is May 28, 2020. Earlier today I saw two squirrels with bot warbles. I couldn’t believe it.
    This is the earliest in the season I have ever seen bots.
    Buckle your seatbelts, it’s gonna be a long season.

For those that help by responding to posts it would be helpful to have this information.
    When posters come with wound issues you might want to consider bots as a possibility.
    ‘‘Tis the season” .

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (05-29-2020), Mel1959 (05-28-2020), Nancy in New York (05-28-2020)

Poor Susie. This is so horrible.

Got to try and help my little ones this year. Thank goodness Coco has never had bots terribly bad but I can't stand to see her with one or two even and imagine what it would feel like with those things under your skin.

I think I'm gonna try Revolution for bot fly prevention this year.

I know you can order it from Joe's but which package is recommended for squirrels? And dosage? Oral or topical only?

And is Panacure (sp) a possibility? I saw a video on it the other day. Dog de-wormer?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post
    Got to try and help my little ones this year. Thank goodness Coco has never had bots terribly bad but I can't stand to see her with one or two even and imagine what it would feel like with those things under your skin.

I know you can order it from Joe's but which package is recommended for squirrels? And dosage? Oral or topical only?

And is Panacure (sp) a possibility? I saw a video on it the other day. Dog de-wormer?

Thanks in advance.
    You can also get Revolution here: https://www.canadavetexpress.com/fle...-cats/p56.aspx

They are a little more expensive though with the sale it is very close. But being in Canada, the shipping is MUCH faster (Joes is in Australia). Get the puppy/kitten formula, but do NOT get the new Revolution Plus for cats. No to Panacur for bots - totally different type of critter. Squirrels can have it but it doesn't work on bots.

I almost passed out when I saw a new thread here from HRT4SQRLS...

Whoops - almost forgot. One drop, either orally (place a drop on a pecan half, let it dry for a bit, then smear a little peanut butter over the place you put the meds, then toss to the squirrel) or if they are captives, on the back of the neck (have to part the fur to get it on the skin). Dosing is ever 30 days. Patti used to start giving them Revolution in the Spring, BEFORE the bots appear and gave it throughout the summer.
    Last edited by CritterMom; 04-24-2023 at 04:55 AM.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (04-24-2023)

And just to echo CM's response, you have to let the Revolution dry on the pecan half and then smear a tiny bit of peanut butter over the dried Revolution. Squirrels will not eat a nut with wet Revolution on it because they can smell the carrier (alcohol) which evaporates as it dries out. A tiny bit of peanut butter covers it up and squirrel will eat!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyPops View Post

Thanks in advance.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

CritterMom (04-24-2023), RockyPops (04-24-2023)

Thanks CM and Tube!

I'll check into it. Gotta get it headed my way. Bot season is around the corner here in N. Alabama.

I know CM. I miss HRT and Nancy so much! They left such a hole!

Thanks to all the Squirrel Board members who are always ready to help!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to RockyPops from:

TubeDriver (04-25-2023)

HRT4SQRLS started me using Revolution around April/ may in my area, we both figured it was worth a try 🤷I so miss Patti 🥺
    I gave it to my released and did so throughout the season. It did seem to lessen the bots on my kids👍
    I've already seen a few bot flys cought in the skimmer of my pool, good dead 😉
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

RockyPops (04-25-2023)

Bot fly treatment follow up questions.

Thanks for the Canadianvetmeds link Crittermom. I order revolution from them. Got it in about 10-12 days. They had a 10% off sale and shipping was free so ended up being a little cheaper than I expected. About $43.00.

You get 3 vials. Each vial looks to have 2, maybe 3 drops in it. I guess depending on drop size. Anyone have info or experience with how many pecans you can treat per vial? I'd like to treat 2 or 3 squirrels per vial for 3 months if possible.

I looked back in my older posts and Coco would present with definite bots around the first week of Sept. with swelling about a week before. So I was thinking of treating her beginning Mid June, mid July, mid August.

Anyone agree or disagree feel free to comment!

There is more than that in the vial - you likely will be able to treat more than you think.

How large are your squirrels on average - as adults? A lot of the protocols here has been written around Florida squirrels because so many members, especially the members who have been here for a while are from Florida, Land of Tiny Squirrels. So they average 500 grams in Florida - where I live they are 750 to 900+ grams. I would use TWO drops per nut half unless you have tiny guys like FL does, and I think your schedule sounds good, except I wouldn't stop in August. I would continue until you guys start getting some freezes.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

astrll (05-09-2023), RockyPops (05-09-2023)

Thanks CM!

A large gray here squirrel I estimate would be about 24 Oz. maybe. Average size would be roughly 18-22 oz.

500 to 700 grams +-.

I haven't actually opened the vial yet so I'll get a better idea at that time.

If I only use half of a vial, can I store the open vial for a month?

Thanks again!

Yes you can. They have a little cap that you press down and it punctures the tube. Keep the cap and use it to recap the vial - press it down just like you did to puncture it and it makes a tight seal. I tape the vials to the inside of my refrigerator door so they can't tip and are at a constant temp unlike my house.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (05-11-2023)

I can get ten drops out of one vial! I make the dosed pecans ahead of time and then when the squirrels come to visit, I have it on hand to give them.

Not sure about you, but my squirrels can get difficult! I always make sure to give them a regular pecan first to see if they’re going to eat a pecan or if they’re going to go hide it.

If they go to hide the pecan, I try again another time. I don’t want the Revolution pecans to get buried somewhere for another animal!

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astrll:

Mel1959 (05-10-2023), RockyPops (05-11-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by astrll View Post
    I can get ten drops out of one vial! I make the dosed pecans ahead of time and then when the squirrels come to visit, I have it on hand to give them.

Not sure about you, but my squirrels can get difficult! I always make sure to give them a regular pecan first to see if they’re going to eat a pecan or if they’re going to go hide it.

If they go to hide the pecan, I try again another time. I don’t want the Revolution pecans to get buried somewhere for another animal!
    Make sure you let the Revolution dry on the pecan - I usually let it dry for at least a couple hours. If your guys prefer walnuts, they can be used, too. After it dries (it is in an alcohol based carrier that they can smell, once it evaporates it smells better). Then, smear some peanut butter or almond butter or even nutella on the side you put the Revolution.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (05-11-2023)

Change of plans.

I had a wild show up the other day with 2 bot fly bumps.

So I moved treatment up to mid may.

Also I can indeed get about 12 drops of rev per vial.

So I treated Coco plus 10 more today.

I'll treat Coco and her nemesis, old half tail momma, again mid June. They're the only two I can identify 100%. The rest will be hit and miss.

Hoping that posting this here will help someone else in the future.

P.S. I let rev dry on pecan 1 1/2 hours +-, covered with peanut butter. Each and every squirrel devoured the nut no questions asked...!

30. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to RockyPops:

Chirps (05-17-2023), Mel1959 (05-16-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (05-17-2023)

Well little Coco got hit up yesterday. As in will be a momma again in a few weeks.

Will Revolution orally be O.K. for a pregnant mom? Her next dose is due about June 15th.

Thanks!

Giving this post a bump, since I don't have the answer you're seeking.....

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

RockyPops (06-02-2023)

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast