Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Never in my life

Default Re: Never in my life

Is the Revolution for cats/kitten what I should buy? Should I dose my boys who are in the RC now? I expect them to be in the RC for about a month, but want them to be protected from fleas once they are out of the RC.

Yes. Good catch.

The only thing - about 4 yrs ago or so someone had to dose with revolution repeatedly similarly to the way ivermectin is administered because the first dose of revolution didn't seem to work.

It could very well be good luck that there were no adverse effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post

No, I am sorry - this is not right.
    Every 7-10 days is the dosage for ivermectin given orally, NOT Revolution.

Revolution is 1-2 drops on the SKIN on the back of the neck to be repeated every 30 days as needed.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

Nancy in New York (07-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Is the Revolution for cats/kitten what I should buy? Should I dose my boys who are in the RC now? I expect them to be in the RC for about a month, but want them to be protected from fleas once they are out of the RC.
    Yes, the cat/kitten is fine and I would begin dosing as soon as they go outside, and do it as long as they will allow you after release, too. Mr. & Mrs. Skul had a beautiful little gray girl named Rocky who lived and had babies outside - and came into the house regularly, often doing a co-parenting thing with her babies...and Rocky got treated monthly with Revolution for 6 years...

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Mel1959 (07-19-2016)

IT WORKED!!!

I can't tell you how happy I am today. I just got back from visiting Susie. She is PERFECT and she is EXPECTING!!
    I'm going to be a grandma!

She doesn't have a single bot! Her skin and fur are beautiful. After what we've been through for the last 2 years with bot flys, today's visit with my girl was just awesome. I don't think anyone can understand unless they have experienced the horror of this. Susie only had 2 doses of Revolution, the first at the end of April. I truly believe that the Revolution prevented the bot fly microfilarial stage from setting up active growth of larvae. Let's just say, it made a believer out of me.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  577.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  501.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  513.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  795.5 KB
Views: 147
Size:  604.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  622.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  526.8 KB

The pics are all sideways and distorted. Number 5 and 6 are a selfie but I'm not about to put my mug in the pic.
    I had to take these pics with my iPad. Because of a recent breakin at my niece's house (a $26,000 theft ) I have been hiding expensive things in my house. Of course, I can't remember where I hid my camera.

7. 10 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Bravo (07-26-2016), Daisey007 (08-25-2016), DarkLies212 (07-26-2016), Ekorre (08-18-2016), island rehabber (05-31-2018), lennysmom (07-26-2016), lukaslolamaus (07-26-2016), PennyCash (07-28-2016), Sara in NW MS (07-26-2016), TubeDriver (08-18-2016)

Sorry to hear about the nasty break in

But great news on the Revolution!!!

Susie looks great! Couldn't ask for a happier fuzzy smile.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic929_1.gif

I'm so sorry that there was a break in... Scary I know
    Thrilled however that the Revolution worked and your going to be a Grandma

WONDERFUL NEWS!! Wow, not only is Susie bot free, but expecting too?! How exciting! Doesn't get much better then that! This is the news I have been anxiously awaiting!!! Lenny got his first dose a couple of weeks ago and our bot season usually starts towards the end of August, so I have high hopes that he will remain bot free this season too!
    Thank you HRT for keeping us updated on the results!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Wow, Patti, that is very exciting! So your Susie is what a pregnant squeez looks like. She's beautiful and such great news that the Revolution is working. I will be getting some for my boys....I definitely don't want to deal with those nasty things.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    IT WORKED!!!

I can't tell you how happy I am today. I just got back from visiting Susie. She is PERFECT and she is EXPECTING!!

She doesn't have a single bot! Her skin and fur are beautiful. After what we've been through for the last 2 years with bot flys, today's visit with my girl was just awesome. I don't think anyone can understand unless they have experienced the horror of this. Susie only had 2 doses of Revolution, the first at the end of April. I truly believe that the Revolution prevented the bot fly microfilarial stage from setting up active growth of larvae. Let's just say, it made a believer out of me.

The pics are all sideways and distorted. Number 5 and 6 are a selfie but I'm not about to put my mug in the pic.
    I had to take these pics with my iPad. Because of a recent breakin at my niece's house (a $26,000 theft ) I have been hiding expensive things in my house. Of course, I can't remember where I hid my camera.
    OH MY GOSH!! I'M SO, SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! I know how much love, time, and more love you've shown Susie. (not to mention money...!) And she's rewarding you with BABIES! FINALLY! Best thing I've seen in a long time! CONGRATULATIONS to you and Susie!!!! You just made my whole day!

And praise the Lord, no bots! Susie is gorgeous, her fur is perfect-- it's like the whole bot debacle never happened.
    Thanks for experimenting with the Revolution. I'm going to give some to Luna and Palmer...
    It's just a drop on a shelled pecan or walnut, right?

And again, woo-hoo, a Grandma! How exciting. What a beautiful reward for both of you! I can't wait for Luna to have babies. She's got to stop chasing all the boys off, tho!

IT WORKED!!!

Congratulations, HRT4SQRLS! I just read this entire thread and was actually moved to tears by the love & commitment you have for Susie (and squirrels in general). That's true love! Amazing...

P.S. I'm really sorry to hear about the break-in.

Hi H4S... I "shadowed" your Revolution treatment. In mid-July I dosed half a dozen regulars with an Almond with just a drop of Revolution. Today Stone showed up with a bot; I hadn't seen him in 4 - 5 days. He was dosed on July 15. The good news is there is no signs of bots on the other 5.

I hope you do not mind my sharing my thoughts in your thread?

1) Stone may not have eaten all of his Almond... I cannot be 100% certain
    2) Sometimes the squirrels "scrape off" the paper coating on the almonds with their teeth and eat only the "white meat".
    2.1) Maybe next round I will actually drill a hole into the meat of the almond and deposit the Rev inside the nut?
    3) Perhaps the dose was too small? I used a single Kitten size vial and got a drop on all six nuts. When I place on the fresh releases necks, I am lucky to get 4 doses (typically 3 though).
    3.1) Stone is the noticeably largest squirrel of the ones that got Rev (I'd guess 20% larger).. the others included little guys / Juvies Squirt (runt), Synn and Spyro, Juvie Smurf and Shep (lean adult male).
    4) Maybe I should have given a second dose sooner? I know they say 30 days, but I was planning 45 days?!?

Spanky, just a thought I might add a tip about helping to make sure they receive their entire dose on the nut. I put the drop on a small piece of pecan, let it dry, and then put a very small dab of peanut butter on top of it since all of mine love peanut butter so much. I have had very good results with acceptance of meds using this method.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

ALittleNutty (08-25-2016), Spanky (08-25-2016)

I am revisiting this thread because this year will be a 'test' year. I'm always trying to detect a pattern with bot flys. In the past I suspected that years with a wet spring were particularly bad for bot flys. In FL the Spring is typically very dry, even to the point of drought. The summer rains don't usually start until mid June.

We have had record breaking rainfall this year. It has rained almost every day in May.
    A conservative estimate of the rainfall in my yard is 15 inches or greater. I guess I can test that theory about rain and bot fly outbreaks. I will try to dose some of the squirrels with Revolution but it's unlikely that I can dose them all. There are more than a dozen regulars, probably closer to 20.

Stay tuned for an update. The thoughts of a BAD botfly season with this number of new releases is a little scary.

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (06-01-2018), island rehabber (05-31-2018), Mel1959 (06-01-2018), Toddy (06-01-2018)

Just reread this thread and those nasty bots in Susie and then later photos of her smiling and bot free.

We have also had incredible amounts of rain. How often do you treat with Revolution to prevent bot infestation?

I am revisiting this thread because this year will be a 'test' year. I'm always trying to detect a pattern with bot flys. In the past I suspected that years with a wet spring were particularly bad for bot flys. In FL the Spring is typically very dry, even to the point of drought. The summer rains don't usually start until mid June.

We have had record breaking rainfall this year. It has rained almost every day in May.
    A conservative estimate of the rainfall in my yard is 15 inches or greater. I guess I can test that theory about rain and bot fly outbreaks. I will try to dose some of the squirrels with Revolution but it's unlikely that I can dose them all. There are more than a dozen regulars, probably closer to 20.

Stay tuned for an update. The thoughts of a BAD botfly season with this number of new releases is a little scary.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Tube, it's all speculation but I have to start somewhere. The successful year.... no bots for Susie... she was dosed twice. Whether that had anything to do with it or not is speculation. Last year definitely seemed to be an 'off' year for bot fly infestation and I didn't dose anyone.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

TubeDriver (05-31-2018)

Interesting that I stumbled across this thread. When I had May up to see Dr. E we were discussing botflys and I mentioned your experiment. She concurred that the Revolution probably does help. She also thought this year would be a bad year for bots. eek. I’m glad I picked up some Revolution from her. I will treat mine, too.

Is it one drop orally on a nut?

Yep...shoot, yours are so tame you could dose them with a drop between the shoulders.

Yep...shoot, yours are so tame you could dose them with a drop between the shoulders.
    I will dose May and Peeps with a drop between the shoulders and the other “known” wilds with a drop on a nut orally.

Can nursing moms get dosed with kitten Revolution orally?

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast