Thread: CLICKING

ka-king Guest

Default CLICKING

When a baby has pneumonia, is the clicking noise constant? I've noticed that after eating sometimes he makes some little clicking or popping noises, but otherwise seems fine.

Mommy paranoia...or is it?

Mars Guest

Default Re: CLICKING

Can you tell if the clicking is coming from the nasal area or the lungs?

My babies make sort of a grunting pig sound sounds like a poping also.
    It would be a constant click if he were ill, not just when eating.
    Also if he were ill he would be hard to feed, he will not want to take formula because it's already too hard for him to breathe.
    What are you feeding the baby with? Personally I would suggest no larger than 3cc, preferable a 1cc with a nipple(for a first time squirrel mom) it helps so they dont aspirate as easy. If he did aspirate...and he coughs or sneezes gently hold him upside down to help the fluid drain out of his lungs.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

ka-king Guest

Well, that is what made me nervous... I am now using a 1cc syringe with a nipple, but when I first started I was using a dropper because that all I could find in a pinch. We did have a couple of milky noses those first few days, so I desperately called around and located a syringe.

He seems fine, but the clicking makes me nervous. He seems to breathe fine, no open mouth or anything, even while sleeping.

Sometimes he does shake when crawing around. He will just stop and shake for a second, like tremors, then continue on. I thought maybe he was just cold and would put him back in his bed to warm up. Any thought on that?

ka-king Guest

BTW, he is a ground squirrel, or chipmunk.

ka-king Guest

Oh, and i can't really seem to tell where the sound is coming from because he is so little and everything is close together. It seems to come from inside, not his mouth.

Mars Guest

Weak in the knees is normal when baby still has his eyes closed. He won't be running around for a while yet.

hmmm.....

i think what's happening is that he's semi-aspirating when you're feeding him. a little milk gets caught down there, so when he breathes it makes the clicking noise, but later it might just go down to his stomach.

i would slow down nontheless. is he an eager eater? eager eaters, as i refer to them, forget their personal safety and think of nothing but food when it's food time. they can hurt themselves, because they usually eat wrong in some way.

try different feeding methods. see if you can find a method when he doesn't click. some squirrels like to sit up, some to lie down, some even take the nipple from the side (don't know why that helps, but it does for some).
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

ka-king Guest

Okay, that makes sense. He does try to flip upside down when he eats, but I ususally try to get him to roll back over because I heard that he shouldn't eat that way.

I will experiment and see what happens. Thanks!

ka-king Guest

I think I have it figured out. I got new syringes I ordered today, and the plunger goes so much more smoothly! The old one I had would kind of get stuck and I think it would push too much out at once when I would try to get it unstuck. Now I can go really slow and keep the flow steady. It really pays to get the right equipment!

I didn't notice any clicking today!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.