Thread: What exactly is 'soft release'?

acorniv Guest

Default What exactly is 'soft release'?

I'm assuming it mean releasing in one's own yard - am I correct? or is there more I should know?

I'm looking for a rehabber to watch Miss Hickory when I go away for a couple of weeks mid-May, and want to clearly explain my wishes ( that she come back and be released on my squirrel friendly property.)

TIA

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Re: What exactly is 'soft release'?

To me, a soft release is having some sort of enclosure that you simply open a small door on and let the squirrel release himself at his own pace and continue to have the availability of the cage until he decides he no longer needs/wants it.

Hope that helps!

Mars Guest

A soft release is when we first estiblish the squirrels into an outdoor release cage and then open a very small door near the top of the cage and allow them to come and go as they please. We are still support feeding and providing shelter until they move out on their own.

acorniv Guest

Okay - that's what I thought - just part of the continuim between rehabbing and the big world - just making sure - thanks! I just discovered today that some people don't do soft release where'd everybody go? hence my uncertainty

Mars Guest

The only time I do not do a soft release is with adult I am returning to his home territory wher knows his way around and has shelter to go to.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I don't ever do soft release. I can't release them into my yard because there are no trees or other squirrels. They get released in their nestbox, so they still have somewhere safe to run to if they get scared. I can't wait to move south and get a nice yard and start soft releasing. That would be so cool to be able to see the little tykes every day.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Critter_Queen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
    I don't ever do soft release. I can't release them into my yard because there are no trees or other squirrels. They get released in their nestbox, so they still have somewhere safe to run to if they get scared. I can't wait to move south and get a nice yard and start soft releasing. That would be so cool to be able to see the little tykes every day.
    I would consider your way a soft release. I think the point is to give them something to call "home" in the new environment, rather than just shoving them out with no place to sleep out of the rain.

I've done what you describe, and I consider it a soft release as long as the squirrel has already established residence in that specific nestbox.

ETA: I don't release in my yard either (unless someone escapes!).

haha i'm so soft, i even do soft cage-transfer. i give squirrels little things from their previous cage so they don't get scared.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.