Thread: home safety for critters

Hybrid View

Default home safety for critters

The reason for this post should maybe be a sticky.
    We had to go to Muncie IN to get daughter registered for college. My son was home with tater butt. All was good until we was about an hour from home. Son calls and cannot find Kazee anywhere. But he noticed the vent off on the duct in the floor. By now I am doing all I can to hold it together. He looks the house over again checking all of his napping spots. Told him to turn the ac off and go turn off the breakers. By the time we get home he has the indoor ac unit taken apart and Kazee upstairs soaking wet and shivering. We are drying him off and rotating fleece in and out of the dryer .We get him dried and warm. I fix him some warm watered down puppy formula he about ate the syringe so I made a batch in a small bowl he ate some. Gave him ashelled almond, ate it. Anyway it has been about 36 hrs or so and he is eating drinking pooing and peeing fine. He is standing eat still. Not coming out of our bedroom which he does come out of there too muchsince wd moved him in there about a week ago. I feel like a real jerk for this happening. Hell I am still crying over it. None of our floor vent covers have screw holes and most have to be pounding in and pried out. Well the one he went down now has screws in it and the rest will soon. All night last night I held him in his fleece and we even laid on the bed. He was so streesed and scared. I am still praying.
    So what needs to be a sticky? Floor registers or vents need to be screwed down.

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to grampyngramy:

cava (06-14-2017), LR (09-28-2017), salex11 (05-01-2020), TubeDriver (01-11-2019)

Default Re: home safety for critters

Quote Originally Posted by grampyngramy View Post
    We had to go to Muncie IN to get daughter registered for college. My son was home with tater butt. All was good until we was about an hour from home. Son calls and cannot find Kazee anywhere. But he noticed the vent off on the duct in the floor. By now I am doing all I can to hold it together. He looks the house over again checking all of his napping spots. Told him to turn the ac off and go turn off the breakers. By the time we get home he has the indoor ac unit taken apart and Kazee upstairs soaking wet and shivering. We are drying him off and rotating fleece in and out of the dryer .We get him dried and warm. I fix him some warm watered down puppy formula he about ate the syringe so I made a batch in a small bowl he ate some. Gave him ashelled almond, ate it. Anyway it has been about 36 hrs or so and he is eating drinking pooing and peeing fine. He is standing eat still. Not coming out of our bedroom which he does come out of there too muchsince wd moved him in there about a week ago. I feel like a real jerk for this happening. Hell I am still crying over it. None of our floor vent covers have screw holes and most have to be pounding in and pried out. Well the one he went down now has screws in it and the rest will soon. All night last night I held him in his fleece and we even laid on the bed. He was so streesed and scared. I am still praying.
    grampngramy, That is the scariest story. I am so glad that it had a happy outcome. All the 'squirrel proofing' in the world seems inadequate because they always seem to able to find that vulnerable spot. I'm fearful to let them have free roam because of it.

I'm so happy that Kazee is OK.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

LR (09-28-2017)

I'm so glad Kazee is OK. What a horrible fright.

I would like more tips for squirrel safety in the home. Naiki has free run of my bedroom during the day and his own room at night. So far everything has been OK, but every time I hear a bump in the night I panic that he's gotten himself in a bind.
    Naiki the plantain squirrel from Bali

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to harimau from:

bre (08-29-2020)

Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm so glad he's alright, though.
    Shows us how smart they are. And mischievous

Quote Originally Posted by harimau View Post
    I'm so glad Kazee is OK. What a horrible fright.

I would like more tips for squirrel safety in the home. Naiki has free run of my bedroom during the day and his own room at night. So far everything has been OK, but every time I hear a bump in the night I panic that he's gotten himself in a bind.
    I do not think there is a wsy to squirrel proof a room. Unless there are no cords, no curtains, no vents, no openings. If they take a notion to they will gnaw a hole in the drywall.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to grampyngramy:

cava (06-14-2017), LR (09-28-2017)

I see that this is an older thread, but thought to share a few thoughts and some new ideas here.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to keep a tree squirrel from getting into what may present an unforseeable hazard in your home, is to provide them with a larger habitat cage, that will keep them comfortable when you can't watch them or aren't home, so they can't get into anything.

Having the space to do this can be a challenge for some that care for squirrels indoors. Building a vertical habitat cage that takes up less of a footprint of floor space is an option. If no space is available and you happen to have a horizonal dresser, consider changing it out for a vertical dresser to free up the space for a tall vertical habitat cage; or the same for a low horizontal habitat cage for a squirrel you think a vertical cage might present a safety concern. A corner cage can utilize an otherwise unused space.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

bre (08-29-2020), LR (09-28-2017), salex11 (05-01-2020)

JamesTF007 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grampyngramy View Post

I sincerely hope that he will not get sick. XXXXXXXXXXX said that he could give food for a kitten, he had a more balanced recipe that suits them
    Last edited by stepnstone; 01-11-2019 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Linking to name/url not approved.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTF007 View Post
    I sincerely hope that he will not get sick. XXXXXXXXX said that he could give food for a kitten, he had a more balanced recipe that suits them

Neither dog or cat food could contain a balanced diet for a squirrel's nutritional requirements.

Last edited by stepnstone; 01-11-2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Linking to name/url not approved.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Diggie's Friend (01-11-2019), island rehabber (01-11-2019), Spanky (01-11-2019)

I absolutely agree with stepnstone. Anyone who could say that food for carnivores is suitable for an herbivore like a squirrel is, frankly, an idiot. Please go to our nutrition section and learn about the proper diet for tree squirrels. Cat and dog food will kill it.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Diggie's Friend (01-11-2019), stepnstone (01-11-2019)

giggles Guest

I'm not sure how to use the squirrel board I don't even know if I'm in the right place I have a 4 year old eastern gray squirrel I've had him since he's been 8 weeks he goes to the vet just like you would take your cat or dog and for some reason today I decided to give him one of our hummingbirds trumpet flowers any gobbling it up I made a mistake of not reading first before I gave it to him and I'm afraid what events poisonous

Trumpet vine flowers are toxic. How long ago did this happen? Any unusual behavior or symptoms? If you have a vet, I would consider calling them to let them know and see what they want you to do?

I found this article which states that it is "Causes low toxicity if eaten" so hopefully he won't be very sick.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/campsis-radicans/

Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    I'm not sure how to use the squirrel board I don't even know if I'm in the right place I have a 4 year old eastern gray squirrel I've had him since he's been 8 weeks he goes to the vet just like you would take your cat or dog and for some reason today I decided to give him one of our hummingbirds trumpet flowers any gobbling it up I made a mistake of not reading first before I gave it to him and I'm afraid what events poisonous
    Last edited by stepnstone; 07-25-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Pretty sure you meant to say "won't" not will??
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (07-25-2019)