Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calcium Supplements

Default Re: Calcium Supplements

Collards are high in oxilates which interrupt calcium.
    Quote Originally Posted by strdsk View Post
    New to the board...love it! Thanks for all the work you all put in! Question though. The chart says to avoid collard greens, but then I see on another chart that this food has the best Calcium to phosphorous ratio. I thought that was a good thing. So I'm confused on collard greens. Similarly, there are a few other contradictions. Thanks for helping me...best!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Diggie's Friend (02-18-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by strdsk View Post
    New to the board...love it! Thanks for all the work you all put in! Question though. The chart says to avoid collard greens, but then I see on another chart that this food has the best Calcium to phosphorous ratio. I thought that was a good thing. So I'm confused on collard greens. Similarly, there are a few other contradictions. Thanks for helping me...best!
    Like lots of foods, something can have a perfect calcium to phosphorus ratio but have some other issue that means it isn't recommended. I am betting the collards are on there because they are very high in oxalates, which can cause kidney issues. A better. similar choice with plenty of calcium and much lower oxalates would be kale.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (02-18-2020), RockyPops (02-19-2020)

Read this and the following posts for more info on oxalates in the diet.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...54#post1284254

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

RockyPops (02-19-2020)

In a side by side comparison, "Pure Bulk" Calcium citrate powder noted on the label for a serving volume of (2500 mg. bulk wt.) for (3/4 Tsp.) to provide (500 mg.) elemental calcium. "NOW" brand Calcium citrate powder noted on the label for a serving of (3000 mg. bulk wt.) for (1 1/2 Tsp.) to provide (600 mg.) elemental calcium, that is twice the measure by volume of that of the, "Pure Bulk" source, and in the same volume measure (3/4 Tsp.) as , "Pure Bulk" at (500 mg.), provides a lower amount of elemental calcium at (300 mg.).

Just for example: if you were to use, "Pure Bulk" Calcium Citrate powder at (1/4 Tsp. + 1/8 Tsp.) in a home made block recipe per day measure, it would provide approx. (250 mg.) of elemental calcium; yet it takes a larger volume measure (1/2 Tsp.+ 1/8 Tsp.) using, "NOW" brand Calcium Citrate powder, to provide the same (250 mg.) of elemental calcium in a recipe. Less powder, in the diet, is a good thing; and especially so when when giving it by syringe for the MBD treatment.

https://purebulk.com/products/calcium-citrate

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Cal.../dp/B0006ZF9NC

As to the benefits of Calcium citrate vs. Calcium carbonate and most other forms of calcium, C. citrate has been found to inhibit calcium loss due to higher levels of oxalic acid in the diet, thereby preserving more calcium to be used by the bones. It also has been shown to be more absorbable to the body of rats, as it is far more soluble than Calcium carbonate, that is far less soluble, even in rats

Red face Re: Calcium Supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    If he actually eats (and doesn't bury ) 2 blocks daily along with the healthy diet, he doesn't need additional calcium.
    Remember to limit fruits and REALLY limit nuts.

Stick to this chart and he should be fine.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Click on the picture several times to make it larger.
    My Sally loves HHB! We always, without fail start her day out with 2 of these, followed by a handful of lettuces, and a few brussel sprouts or other good for her greens. Then in the evening she get either a walnut or a pecan to crack open and enjoy. Unfortunately, I thought I had another bag of HHB in the freezer and I do not. I just ordered four bags but it will take a few days to get here so I need to make my own in the mean time. Do I have to use liquid vitamins or can I crush the same equivalent in Mgs of calcium vitamin D, and magnesium? It seemed this was a good place to ask this question. As I am new, please let me know if I should have asked someplace else. Thank you so much for your help.

Calcium with vitamin D is never recommended. Too much Vitamin D is toxic. You can get straight calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate from health food stores for humans. Honestly, I think she’ll probably be fine for the few days it takes for your blocks to arrive. If you’re really concerned you could give her some tums. Some squirrels will eat the dry wafers. That would provide calcium and the other vitamins she’d need to get from the veggies you give her. Big box pet stores sell Oxbow Regal rat or Mazuri rodent block which is a hard extruded block. She most likely won’t like them as they are but they are 100% complete nutrition and can be ground and mixed with baby food and coconut oil and rolled into balls. She might like them better that way and it would tide you over till your Henrys arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Calcium with vitamin D is never recommended. Too much Vitamin D is toxic. You can get straight calcium carbonate or calcium gluconate from health food stores for humans. Honestly, I think she’ll probably be fine for the few days it takes for your blocks to arrive. If you’re really concerned you could give her some tums. Some squirrels will eat the dry wafers. That would provide calcium and the other vitamins she’d need to get from the veggies you give her. Big box pet stores sell Oxbow Regal rat or Mazuri rodent block which is a hard extruded block. She most likely won’t like them as they are but they are 100% complete nutrition and can be ground and mixed with baby food and coconut oil and rolled into balls. She might like them better that way and it would tide you over till your Henrys arrive.
    Blocks were supposed to be delivered yesterday and they were a no show! Darn USPS! About to make some blocks. I have a lot of the Fox Valley 20/50 that I got from Henry's when she was younger. Can I replace the protein with this or at least add some for nutritional purposes?

Yes, you can add 20/50.

meliscanan88 Guest

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12