Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calcium Supplements

Default Calcium Supplements

Liquid Calcium Supplements

These are not optimal for treating MBD. The calcium is too diluted by the water and other ingredients, plus the calcium forms used--calcium lactate, gluconate, etc.--are very low in elemental calcium, which is the only part the body can use. This means very large doses must be given by syringe. Additionally, they almost always contain artificial sweeteners, propylene glycol, and other ingredients that are unnecessary and possibly unhealthy.

Below is a chart of the elemental calcium content of various forms of calcium:

Attachment 236630

This is one reason we continue to recommend plain old calcium carbonate. It has the highest percentage of elemental calcium--this means your doses will be tiny and easier to give. Plus it's cheap, readily available, tasteless, and available in pure, contaminant-free pharmaceutical grades.

Oyster Shell Calcium and Dolomite

These "fancier" forms of calcium carbonate are simply derived from different sources (ground oyster shells/dolomite deposits, respectively), whereas plain calcium carbonate is derived from limestone or marble. They have no proven benefits and in fact are no longer recommended by the medical community due to high levels of contaminants such as mercury, lead, arsenic, and aluminum. Dolomite is also weakly radioactive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

2. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to 4skwerlz:

AnnRie (02-15-2023), Buddy (12-29-2020), KCullen (05-30-2021), Radagast (09-30-2016), RockyPops (02-18-2020), Wally's momma (01-01-2016)

Default Re: Calcium Supplements

excellent info!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

RockyPops (02-18-2020)

Default Baby Squirrel dose of calcium?

So I have a baby squirrel about 5 weeks, that just recently had swellings on both legs, took him to the vet for a radiograph, and 2 fx in one leg and one in the other.
    Now, he doesn't seem to be in any pain, and the vet says they are healing. In addition to his formula, she said to give him a very low dose of calcium to help the bones heal more quickly Name:  12521.jpeg
Views: 3486
Size:  90.4 KBName:  12524.jpeg
Views: 3414
Size:  130.2 KBName:  12527.jpeg
Views: 3513
Size:  134.3 KB(they are already starting to heal).
    So... how would I dose a daily calcium supplement for a 70 gram baby squirrel??
    I have the henry's plain calcium carbonate powder.

SORRY PICS SO BIG, FORGOT HOW TO SHRINK!
    THANKS!!
    KASTILLO

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to kastillo:

Buddy (12-29-2020), RockyPops (02-18-2020)

I would send a PM to 4skwerlz (Leigh at Henry's) and ask her that question...my calculation is about a tenth of a teaspoon, which is basically just a "pinch."

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

RockyPops (02-18-2020)

AliceDoucet Guest

There are various supplements, you can find some of the health supplement here.

Hi If my grey squirrel is eating Henry's Blocks (2 a day) supplemented with various nuts, fruits, veggies, does he need additional calcium or do the blocks contain all he needs? He does have some bones and a mineral block that he chews on occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally's momma View Post
    Hi If my grey squirrel is eating Henry's Blocks (2 a day) supplemented with various nuts, fruits, veggies, does he need additional calcium or do the blocks contain all he needs? He does have some bones and a mineral block that he chews on occasionally.
    If he actually eats (and doesn't bury ) 2 blocks daily along with the healthy diet, he doesn't need additional calcium.
    Remember to limit fruits and REALLY limit nuts.

Stick to this chart and he should be fine.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels
    Click on the picture several times to make it larger.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Wally's momma (01-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    If he actually eats (and doesn't bury ) 2 blocks daily along with the healthy diet, he doesn't need additional calcium.

How about wild squirrels ?? I feed them Walnuts and apples !! They sure eat a lot of nuts during these sub-zero temperatures !! How can I say NO to a friendly squirrel sitting out in -45*C wind chills all might ? I can't !! I have been giving 2 squirrels as muany nuts as they want..I just glad their not frozen to death!! Am I doing something wrong ? Am I hurting these wild squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushkins View Post
    How about wild squirrels ?? I feed them Walnuts and apples !! They sure eat a lot of nuts during these sub-zero temperatures !! How can I say NO to a friendly squirrel sitting out in -45*C wind chills all might ? I can't !! I have been giving 2 squirrels as muany nuts as they want..I just glad their not frozen to death!! Am I doing something wrong ? Am I hurting these wild squirrels?
    Just because they may sit at (or with) a feeder gorging themselves on nuts does not mean that's all they eat, wilds
    know what to eat and how to eat to balance their nutritional requirements. Nature provides. They really do eat a
    verity of things in the wild that boggles the mind, one of the main reasons you won't see mbd in a wild squirrel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (02-25-2016), Ktbnin1133 (06-22-2022), Squeekhart (01-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Just because they may sit at (or with) a feeder gorging themselves on nuts does not mean that's all they eat, wilds
    know what to eat and how to eat to balance their nutritional requirements. Nature provides. They really do eat a
    verity of things in the wild that boggles the mind, one of the main reasons you won't see mbd in a wild squirrel.
    Hi & thanks for the response !! I have one wild squirrel "Bushkins" that comes every day to feed, in my hand if I want !! Never seen another squirrel in my life like this little guy and his non-fearing, friendly nature !! When it's really cold (-45*C) ..I just cannot believe how many nuts these squirrel's can eat ? It's really blows my mind !! Lot's of calories !! My concern is oxalate intact !! I have heard and been told that too much of anything is no good !! All this guy wants id walnuts rite now !! Should I dust the nuts with some calcium carbonate occasionally ? I do not want him to get kidney stones ! Thanks!!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bushkins from:

Squeekhart (01-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushkins View Post
    Hi & thanks for the response !! I have one wild squirrel "Bushkins" that comes every day to feed, in my hand if I want !! Never seen another squirrel in my life like this little guy and his non-fearing, friendly nature !! When it's really cold (-45*C) ..I just cannot believe how many nuts these squirrel's can eat ? It's really blows my mind !! Lot's of calories !! My concern is oxalate intact !! I have heard and been told that too much of anything is no good !! All this guy (Bushkins) wants is walnuts rite now !! Should I dust the nuts with some calcium carbonate occasionally ? I do not want him to get kidney stones ! Thanks!!
    EDIT: I would say wild squirrels do not have a balanced nutritional diet in the winter months !! Winter is very cruel on squirrels and kill off the weak and injured !! Heck, a real bad winter can decimate a squirrels population PERIOD !!! I think a little extra calcium dusted on his walnuts once in while will not do any harm will it ? I find a lot of controversial info on the internet on squirrel feeding !! I've been told that walnuts are high in oxalate content AND then find scientific data that shows that these nuts (walnuts) are one of the lowest nuts in oxalate content with good calcium percentage!!

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Bushkins:

Diggie's Friend (12-24-2019), Squeekhart (01-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz View Post

These are not optimal for treating MBD. The calcium is too diluted by the water and other ingredients, plus the calcium forms used--calcium lactate, gluconate, etc.--are very low in elemental calcium, which is the only part the body can use. This means very large doses must be given by syringe. Additionally, they almost always contain artificial sweeteners, propylene glycol, and other ingredients that are unnecessary and possibly unhealthy.

Attachment 236630

This is one reason we continue to recommend plain old calcium carbonate. It has the highest percentage of elemental calcium--this means your doses will be tiny and easier to give. Plus it's cheap, readily available, tasteless, and available in pure, contaminant-free pharmaceutical grades.

These "fancier" forms of calcium carbonate are simply derived from different sources (ground oyster shells/dolomite deposits, respectively), whereas plain calcium carbonate is derived from limestone or marble. They have no proven benefits and in fact are no longer recommended by the medical community due to high levels of contaminants such as mercury, lead, arsenic, and aluminum. Dolomite is also weakly radioactive.
    Do you just sprinkle some of the calcium carbonate on their food? Is this the same for tree squirrels as it is for Flying Squirrels?

Thank you!
    Tinkerbell~ Southern Flying Squirrel, caught in our house when she was 5-6 weeks old. This was June 3 2011. Now just about a year old.

lo@sc.rr.com Guest

So I understand what calcium supplements NOT to use. What about what is GOOD to use?

Pure calcium CARBONATE without added Vit D will give you the most elemental calcium by weight than any other form. Calcium CITRATE is good too, but you need to give MORE of it to equal the same milligrams of elemental calcium as you get with the carbonate form.

NOW is a company that sells both calcum carbonate and calcium citrate without D in powder form, which is darned convenient, no crushing pills. Just google "NOW calcium carbonate powder" and find the outlet selling it the cheapest!

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2020), Squeekhart (01-11-2017)

Default 38.5Re: Calcium Supplements

My squirrels like the calcium ice cream cones from the pet store. If they will take it as a treat, or just to shred, like the ice cream cones, is it ok to give them a berry flavored tums every once in awhile?

Basil (7 mo, overwinterer) eats veggies and block (I see him consume these things) twice a day, but gets a nut treat for getting back in the cage. The past week he wasn't coming out to play and just sat alone when he did. He is also smaller than his younger female roomie I gave him a Tums two days in a row. The first one disappeared. He ignored the second one. Day three and he is darting around this place like a new squirrel I've never met.

I'd like to give him one twice a week to play with/eat. Is this ok? (Calcium carbonate--700 of elemental calcium per tum)

Edit: The squirrels helped rename the title of the post. Thanks squirrels.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Tinybubbles46 (04-04-2019)

Capricornlady Guest

How much calcium do they need a day?

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz View Post

Attachment 236630

This is the calcium I take myself because of gastric bypass. I cannot get enough calcium anymore because of the bypass so calcium citrate is what I was told to take. I got a thumbs up on this when I first asked about it, but dont ask me by whom. I could find out but this is made with all natural ingredients. My 7 mo old flyer loves organic almond and cashew butter, which I have only just discovered. I have mixed a very small amount of this calcium with about maybe a teaspoon of cashew butter and have given him some on my finger and he loves it. He doesn't eat his block very well. I see most of it shredded on the fleece, he quit his formula, and he wont eat greens except for avacado, maybe some cilantro and i just gave him some frilly parsley i think he likes. It disappears but he hides things. So, is this calcium mixed cashew butter okay to give him like once a day on my finger, or what ratio is suggested. Name:  1497052102758305234209.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  117.2 KBName:  14970523679131298412897.jpg
Views: 2935
Size:  156.4 KBName:  14970524174211995826013.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  131.2 KBName:  14970524508101317242044.jpg
Views: 2971
Size:  115.4 KB[ATTACH]289324[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Roxi, my girl forever. She stole my heart. She is gone but never forgotten.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Roxi's mom from:

Diggie's Friend (12-29-2020)

Wonder why no one has replied to this?

PatriciaJames Guest

Thanks for the information!

New to the board...love it! Thanks for all the work you all put in! Question though. The chart says to avoid collard greens, but then I see on another chart that this food has the best Calcium to phosphorous ratio. I thought that was a good thing. So I'm confused on collard greens. Similarly, there are a few other contradictions. Thanks for helping me...best!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast