Thread: antibiotics and dewormer question

Default antibiotics and dewormer question

What kind of antibiotic should i keep on hand at all times for my squirrels?

and at one point, i described Dixons symptoms and someone told me to get Praziquantel.

well i FINIALLY got my hands on some. my vet wouldnt give me any because she said that thats not the right kind of dewormer for a cat but my mom went to a different vet and they gave her some for her "dog"... ;)

I have the bottle in front of me and the first thing it says is "For dogs & CATS 2.5 to 11pounds"

so either my vet lied to my face, or she just sucks.

anyways, i need to know the correct dosages since a squirrel is wayyyy smaller than a cat or dog. and im hopefully uploading a picture of the medecine just to be sure its the right thing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: antibiotics and dewormer question

I do not believe Praziquantel is safe for squirrels.

Ivermection, revolution and panacur are often used for squirrel parasites.

Some ABs people will often use for squirrels include baytril (very good for pneumonia) and clavamox for deep puncture (anaerobic) type wounds.

Metronidazole is also a squirrel friendly AB that has both antibiotic and anti-parasitic properties.

If your squirrel is an indoor/NR squirrel, the chances of getting parasitic worms are much less likely (although they could already have them).

All of these need to be dosed correctly based on squirrels weight, an overdose could kill a squirrel.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

it isnt?!
    thats what one of the maryland state licensed wildlife rehabilitator told me to get.

it was hard for me just getting Praziquantel, only because here, squirrels are considered game. this one person even said he wanted my squirrels, i asked why not expecting his answer to be "because then i could fatten them up and put them in the freezer with the 4 others i have. squirrel stew is the best stew"

... :(

and every vet around here said that they dont carry the revolution brand anymore. when asked why, they said no vet around ___(my town) carries it anymore. sorry i dont want people knowing where i live... but thats why i went with the praziquantel.
    does anyone know of anyplace in oklahoma that carries the Revolution Brand.. we even have four vets here in town and 2 in a town nearby, NONE of them carry it.

i have never seen a worm in my squirrel Rambo's poop. and ive only seen worms two times in dixons poop
    but i know that there is no way Dixons worms went away because i havent given him any medecine yet.
    and of course dixon is getting bigger length wise but,hes still not as fat as Rambo. hasnt seemed to gain near as much weight as Rambo has. :(

ive never once had any health problems with Rambo, but Dixon has had a tough life... crazy that one squirrel from the litter can be completely healthy and the other not so much...

I am no expert but I dont think Praziquantel is regularly used for squirrels. I am sure someone else will chime up to verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    it isnt?!
    thats what one of the maryland state licensed wildlife rehabilitator told me to get.

it was hard for me just getting Praziquantel, only because here, squirrels are considered game. this one person even said he wanted my squirrels, i asked why not expecting his answer to be "because then i could fatten them up and put them in the freezer with the 4 others i have. squirrel stew is the best stew"

and every vet around here said that they dont carry the revolution brand anymore. when asked why, they said no vet around ___(my town) carries it anymore. sorry i dont want people knowing where i live... but thats why i went with the praziquantel.
    does anyone know of anyplace in oklahoma that carries the Revolution Brand.. we even have four vets here in town and 2 in a town nearby, NONE of them carry it.

i have never seen a worm in my squirrel Rambo's poop. and ive only seen worms two times in dixons poop
    but i know that there is no way Dixons worms went away because i havent given him any medecine yet.
    and of course dixon is getting bigger length wise but,hes still not as fat as Rambo. hasnt seemed to gain near as much weight as Rambo has.

ive never once had any health problems with Rambo, but Dixon has had a tough life... crazy that one squirrel from the litter can be completely healthy and the other not so much...

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Praziquantel can be used in squirrels. The person that knows these dewormers inside and out is Loopy Squirrel. Please send her a Private Message related to your dosing questions.

I will also send her a PM with a link to this thread.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Praziquantel can be used in squirrels. The person that knows these dewormers inside and out is Loopy Squirrel. Please send her a Private Message related to your dosing questions.

I will also send her a PM with a link to this thread.
    Thanks for helping out with this!

-Grateful Dead

Big thanks to all of you! Better to be safe than sorry.
    please send her this link. since i am new here, i dont know how to look someone up to send them a message yet!

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I sent her the link to this thread.

EDIT: On the left side of the screen under What's new? you will see Private Messages. Press that and then Send New Message. Her user name is "Loopy Squirrel".

It's just like sending an e-mail.
    Last edited by Milo's Mom; 06-05-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added edit

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

There is a caution with this drug that says: "Not for use with animals less than 6 weeks of age or weighing less than 1.5 lbs."
    What is the weight and age of your little one?

Praziquantel is certinally safe for squirrels, it is what I have used.
    Next time your looking for it go to PetSmart, Petco, even Walmart
    and look for Trade Winds tape worm tabs for cats & kittens.
    White bottle, blue label,sold on the floor. Contains 3 tabs, each are 23mg Praziquantel.
    Can also be ordered on line, no script needed.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

FYI: For those who have access to a Tractor Supply, I just recently found the Trade Winds brand praziquantel (3 pills in bottle) on sale for $14.99, normally $16.99. It sells for $24.99 at Petco and Petsmart here!
    My etsy store is empty at the moment, but if you have seen my pieces and have a request, just let me know!

Visit my Etsy store, ScarletSquirrel to see my handmade jewelry!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletSquirrel

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,

Everywhere I turn I can see them...

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,
    Night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them...

Someday I'll land in the Nut House,
    With all the Nuts and the Squirrels...

Wait...too late.
    Welcome to the Nut House!

ah! we have a petco here so next time I need any, i'll go there instead of dealing with the vet.
    I meant to weigh them today, I haven't in awhile. I will tomorrow, don't wanna wake the cuties up!
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Praziquantel is certinally safe for squirrels, it is what I have used.
    Next time your looking for it go to PetSmart, Petco, even Walmart
    and look for Trade Winds tape worm tabs for cats & kittens.
    White bottle, blue label,sold on the floor. Contains 3 tabs, each are 23mg Praziquantel.
    Can also be ordered on line, no script needed.

Do you know what dosage I should use?
    im so lost there... don't wanna risk giving them too much or too little until I for sure know. thanks!

Do you know what dosage I should use?
    im so lost there... don't wanna risk giving them too much or too little until I for sure know. thanks!
    I could pm you the dosage, but on the side of caution I'd like to
    know age, weight, and type of squirrel?
    Also I'm curious as to why you want to treat?

I don't understand this...

and at one point, i described Dixons symptoms and someone told me to get Praziquantel.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Sorry, I only saw this today as I haven't been on the computer much the last few days. Praziquantel is a dewormer that is used for tape worms. It is common in dogs/cats and squirrels. They get it by ingesting fleas. Most dewormers like pyrantel or panacur (fenbendazole) won't kill the tape worm so I use praziquantel. I use the injectable form that I get from my vet. It is safe and I have used it several times in my older juveniles and adult NR's.