Thread: My trick to add calcium to my squirrels diet

Default My trick to add calcium to my squirrels diet

I buy powered calcium located in the reptile department of many pet stores. I have never seen a squirrel refuse a nut so once a day I will wet a nut with water and place it in a zip lock baggie with the powered calcium and shake. The calcium sticks to the nut. Shake off the excess calcium because it will really stick a lot. The squirrel will then pick up the nut, lick it about 30 times while turning it around in their mouth before hiding it. I have never had any luck with anything else. Hope this helps someone. It's very very easy.

Default Re: My trick to add calcium to my squirrels diet

That's cool, but I always wonder how much is too much?? Mine want to eat Tums like candy, but working in human medicine I know there is a point where too much calcium causes kidney issues... so anyone have the "ideal"?? Mine eat HHB just fine, but I always feel like I should augment.. we're all so scared of MBD..
    What is the ideal? Should we be adding more than Henry's provides? And what if we feed some of the things that supposedly "rob" calcium, like spinach and such? I'd have thought spinach was great until I found the proper diet post.. So.. errm, help!
    Thanks!

Just normal repti-calcium? That's safe for them? I might have to start uses that then... How much should you use?
    Animal lover all the way through.

I shake the Henry's calcium onto nuts--or fresh corn--or any treat that isn't all that good for them by itself

If they get HHBs and you follow the diet guide, they really shouldn't need extra calcium, but some people give a bit just in case, but I'd only give a bit. A slight dusting or piece of Tums a couple or three times a week.

Reptile calcium can be bad because much of it has a fair amount of D in it. They need D, but in low doses. In high doses it's actually used as a rodenticide. And because it's fat soluble, it builds up in the system.

This is what I use. I will sometimes sprinkle on some avocado, or dust any bugs I feed them, even sometimes on their greens (mine all love their greens thankfully). http://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foods-Calc.../dp/B004421K68
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

When I first adopted a flying squirrel, I believe that Mrs. Skul told me her vet said that reptile calcium supplements were not good for her. I would assume that if it's not good for flying squirrels, it would probably not be good for tree squirrels? I can't remember the reasoning though. I have reptiles but I buy a separate calcium supplement for my squirrel.

I give a piece of tums once a week to my rehab tree squirrels for calcium in addition to HHBs and a good diet. Amandaleet, if you are often feeding a lot of high-oxalate foods like spinach or beet greens, if it were me I'd probably supplement a little bit if the rest of the diet doesn't have a good amount of calcium. If you are only feeding it occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it. I supplement for piece of mind because I get really stubborn eaters.

Since a captive squirrel has a lot less dietary leeway than a squirrel in the wild, diet is really important. I personally think they need treats in the context of play/bonding so when I give treats I make them a little healthier with the calcium powder --not much but a little. My darling Willimina is a stasher. I give her healthy foods and she squirrels it away. I don't always watch her eat so I err on the side of healthy and come playtime/treat time I make it her favorite.

Mary-Ann Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    If they get HHBs and you follow the diet guide, they really shouldn't need extra calcium, but some people give a bit just in case, but I'd only give a bit. A slight dusting or piece of Tums a couple or three times a week.

Reptile calcium can be bad because much of it has a fair amount of D in it. They need D, but in low doses. In high doses it's actually used as a rodenticide. And because it's fat soluble, it builds up in the system.
    How big a piece of Tums do you give?

Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Ann View Post
    How big a piece of Tums do you give?
    Hi Mary-Ann

to TheSquirrelBoard

It depends on the size of the squirrel and also why you want to give Tums. If it’s to treat Metabolic Bone Disease there is a specific protocol that you follow. If it’s for supplementing it would be different. Give use a history and we can help you.