Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: severe MBD?

Default severe MBD?

we rescued a squirrel last night, and sadly we will probably have to euthanize it. he (or she) is a young adult, and was seen "hopping around really high, like a rabbit" and was unable to cling to the trees it climbed (don't know how it got up the trees if it can't cling).

yesterday he was able to sit up. this morning, he's on his side, and he's not getting up. his eyes are open, he's breathing normally, but he's stuck in the position that you see in the picture. he's able to blink, and when stressed out enough he'll kind of wriggle his body trying to get away (i don't know how much more he can do, i'm not about to stress him into shock to find out).

i need to know what happened to this poor creature. i'm thinking this is metabolic bone disease of the worst kind. his paws are rigid and clenched, his back is arched, and his tail doesn't move much. we don't see any sign of injury, although we think a broken leg could have brought him to having a very poor diet.

i just want to end his suffering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Gabe Guest

Default Re: severe MBD?

TS, I would be shocked if an adult wild got MBD. It just doesn't seem possible. I think he has a spinal cord injury, somewhere between the neck and the head. Maybe even higher. He is showing signs of severe head trauma and I believe he is Postulating. That is where they stiffen like that. It is an indication of an irreversible injury. I think it would be most humane to euthanize him.

LynninIn, jump in here, if you know what I'm talking about.

I can only say he resembles a picture I was shown in a class on head and spinal trauma, and I would agree with Gabe on this one. I'm sorry, TS....the good Lord always seems to send you the tough ones.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I suspect a brainstem injury. Gabe is right, the position in humans is called decerebrate posture rigidity and is not a good sign at all. As the brainstem continues to swell the breathing rate will decrease and most likely stop completely. I'm sorry TS, you do get the difficult ones.

*sigh* i am REALLY not having a good day.

thank you for diagnosing this. at this point i'm just wondering if we should have him gassed or just let him be until he dies. he's not able to move at all. his body feels a little hard. if you guys think he'll die soon, we might just keep him comfortable until it happens.

in addition to this case, my mother and i saw our first backyard babies today. the mother is very diligent, and the babies look about 6 or 7 weeks old. a couple hours after first seeing them, i witnessed a dog tear off the tail of a baby. the ENTIRE TAIL. the baby ran to it's nest in a pine tree and i retrieved the tail, it's in our freezer.

oh, and mary is relapsing. we don't know if she'll make it now.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I am so sorry to hear about all that TS. Hang in there.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Is it possible that it is a poisoning from eating something wrong? Is his body constantly rigid or does it relax in intervals? (seizure?) Poor guy. I know he looks bad but perhaps wait it out to see what it is? If it is a poisoning perhaps it can wear off a bit? I really hope this guy does well. Hang in there both of you.

In order to test his moving ability without stress can you try to scratch that special spot around the collar bone and see if you can get some "armage"? I have noticed that squirrels can not resist this no mater how bad of condition that they are in. last year My brother in law brought me one that had been gotten by a cat. It was hurt bad and was obviously not going to make it. I tried to make it comfortable. I scratched her special spot. Even though she was only 30 seconds away from dying she couldn't resist to raise that arm. The reason I am suggesting this is to test it's ability to move and it's reflexes.

If it is MBD I don't think it would have been jumping like that. Doesn't mbd usually make them weak? I think the others are right on the neurological problem but if it is a brain stem or spinal injury wouldn't it be paralized and limp? ( I am not trying to correct others diagnosises, Just throwing out thoughts and ideas). I am thinking it is possible poisoning. would a poisoning make the muscles clench?

can you give it lots of water to try to clean out it's system?

he doesn't relax. all he does is lay, blink, and breathe. i offered him water from a syringe, he couldn't even lap at it.

if he shows improvement tomorrow, we may keep him alive. however given his current state, it's likely that he'll die on his own. i can only imagine how uncomfortable he must be, frozen in one position in a strange place, vulnerable and alone. it would be a mercy to put him down, even if it is poisoning.

but we'll wait till tomorrow to decide.

Poor guy, at least he is safe and nothing can get him.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I don't think things are looking good for the little tyke without a tail. Won't they bleed a lot from that kind of injury? They do use their tail for so much. Hopefully he will be fine though, or at least come down so Thundersquirrel can help him out (just what you wanted another guy in bad shape).
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

webld4u2 Guest

I have a simalar situation here. Except my little boy is about 7 weeks old. He has been to the vet 4 times, and had to stay last night and is still there. It took everyone, including the vet, days to find the punture wounds from a cat around the base of his neck. His feet are drawed up, and is believed to have a spinal injury from the cat bite, as well as infections. We can't seem to keep fluids in him, even ringers. I have had to flip him every hour on the hour on his heating pad. Luckily my friend in town has direct vet access. Anyway, he is on predisone, a steroid, and is doing only a little better so far. He is still able to eat, pee and poop,when stimulated, but that is the extent of it. Alot more has gone on, so if you need any more info just pm me. I wish you the best of luck. Sadly, you are going to need it, along with many prayers.

TexanSquirrel Guest

poor little guy

drakkonia Guest

Poor Thundersquirrel, you sure are having a trying time! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your squirrels.

Abacat Guest

TS sorry to hear about the squirrel, any news ? And for the baby, does it have even a nub left? (I know you said entire tail but maybe just a nub?) I have a young chipmunk I see running outside with only a nub of a tail...seems perfectly okay otherwise. Maybe there is hope
    Sending prayers for your fuzzies

Abacat Guest

found this article...

West Nile Virus and Tree Squirrels

In some regions of California, tree squirrels have tested positive for West Nile virus. Tree squirrels with West Nile virus may display neurological signs such as uncoordinated movement, paralysis, shaking, or circling. It should not be assumed that every squirrel with neurological signs has West Nile virus, as there are other factors that cause these symptoms. Do not handle a sick squirrel as they are wild animals and may bite. Tree squirrels are classified as game mammals by the California Fish and Game Code and can be controlled only as provided by hunting regulations.

Maybe this is a possibility, the paralysis...lots of skeeters out here now,

drakkonia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Abacat
    found this article...

West Nile Virus and Tree Squirrels

In some regions of California, tree squirrels have tested positive for West Nile virus. Tree squirrels with West Nile virus may display neurological signs such as uncoordinated movement, paralysis, shaking, or circling. It should not be assumed that every squirrel with neurological signs has West Nile virus, as there are other factors that cause these symptoms. Do not handle a sick squirrel as they are wild animals and may bite. Tree squirrels are classified as game mammals by the California Fish and Game Code and can be controlled only as provided by hunting regulations.

Maybe this is a possibility, the paralysis...lots of skeeters out here now,
    Wow, that is interesting, but makes me worry. Too bad there is no bug spray for squirrels.

things have gotten a little worse for our stiff guy. his arms and legs are starting to cross and his breathing is more shallow. i picked him up to place him better, and his body is so stiff it doesn't fall out of position.

he still won't take water, and certainly can't eat. while part of me is wishing for a miracle, another part (a stronger part) wants to see this poor creature at rest. i keep imagining how uncomfortable it is for him. he's in complete misery. his eyes are squinting as if he's about to cry. i really think the most humane thing would be to euthanize him. we would use gas rather than a needle, so he would just sink into an everlasting sleep.

good news on the babies though. this morning (ten minutes ago, actually) we saw the babies out in the front yard. it turns out there are three of them! we also saw the attacked baby (for a brief moment) and he does have about an inch of tail left over, and was able to run away from us. looks like he'll survive.

we also dosed their mother with a medicated nut because she has mange, and the babies are starting to get crusty ears. it's a bit controversial to dose a nursing mother, but our mange treatment lady is very confident it won't harm the babies.

in the meantime....
    Attached Images Attached Images     

oh, that last picture is of a baby grey squirrel we got. i wanted to add it because we've never had a grey squirrel this old! wOOt!

Gabe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    i really think the most humane thing would be to euthanize him. we would use gas rather than a needle, so he would just sink into an everlasting sleep.
    I tend to agree with you. This is a quote out of The NWRA Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation manual.

"Beginning rehabilitators consider euthanasia only as a last resport. Advanced rehabilitators reach the euthanasia decision as a duty. They understand the need for euthanasia. They are operating on the basis of what is best for the animal, not what is best for the rehabilitator."

Stop letting that poor squirrel suffer. It is time to let go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast