Thread: Those little bumps

Default Those little bumps

I asked about these a while back and someone suggested they were a result of not enough actual sunlight. Back then, there were just a couple of flat bumps on Dunky's head. Last week, one opened up (it had a "pit" like appearance) and now it's got that big scab on it. They don't seem to be spreading and he seems to be in overall good health although he is still pretty slender. They do not appear to be itchy to him.

So, the big question... does this look like pox?
    Name:  DSC02983 (640x427).jpg
Views: 130
Size:  211.7 KB

Default Re: Those little bumps

Are they round and getting large in the body area? --I am wondering if they might be a bot fly? ? ?

Link:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ek-old-Bot-Fly

I don't think it's a bot fly. He's had these flat bumps for a while.

I posted about them back in March here:
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...6-What-is-this

The ones he has now, other than the one that opened, are dark, raised but flat on top, hairless spots. Kind of hard. Touching them doesn't seem to bother him. You can see them in the pic but they aren't as obvious as the scabbed one. They are only on his head.

So he has had these bumps for over 3 months? If so, I dont think they would be pox, it does not progress that slow.

Did you try additional Sunlight or UVB light?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Does he get a lot of time out of cage to play? --some times squirrels will rub their head against the
    horizontal bars until round spots on their heads are bald and at times scabbed over. Is this possible?

He's definitely getting more real sunlight as well as full spectrum lighting since then. Since it doesn't seem to be getting better and one opened up, I wondered if it could be something more problematic.

Initially I thought it was from rubbing his head on the bars too but I've never seen him do that and he has always spent most of his waking time out of his cage. I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
    Initially I thought it was from rubbing his head on the bars too but I've never seen him do that and he has always spent most of his waking time out of his cage. I'm stumped.
    Hmmmm..... when he is in his cage does he spend a lot of time running back and forth at the bottom of the cage? That is usually the first sign to me that one of my squirrels is going stir crazy and probably getting reading to go outside in a release cage.

He is in a release cage now. I got the pic of him this morning because I started worrying that what he had might be contagious/dangerous to the wilds and he has a friend (a girlie no less!) that visits daily. I am sure she has a litter somewhere and I don't want them getting sick.

If things continue as planned, I will give him free access to the outdoor world in two more weeks.

Its hard to say...... but they look like rub bumps to me and you dont have to see them rubbing their heads on the bars for them to get them, I do not always see my squirrels rubbing their heads and then one day the head is bald. If he had these spots before he went out side to the release cage they will just take a little time to heal up, but will heal and the good news is that they do not look contagious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Its hard to say...... but they look like rub bumps to me and you dont have to see them rubbing their heads on the bars for them to get them, I do not always see my squirrels rubbing their heads and then one day the head is bald. If he had these spots before he went out side to the release cage they will just take a little time to heal up, but will heal and the good news is that they do not look contagious.
    ^^^^^Yea, that does not look like Pox to me.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Okay. It just dawned on me this morning that his visitor would be exposed to it, as would the other wilds when he was released, if it was something nasty. The last thing I want to do is spread a contagion!